fac air

tigger got stichs

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No. There's an interesting vid done by field sports channel where they test an FX box @ 50yds. That develops about 80ft/lb and is a 30 cal. they are very unconvinced about it over 50yds and even at 50, the drop is massive. for me, it's a NO regardless of the range.

worth a look at the vid though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khrJwZLOn6s#t=0

Just a thought, if you can get clearance for FAC Air surely a .22LR wouldn't be too much more difficult? Justification: you need it for Fox control, and I think the land clearance would be the same with the whole "a section 1 is a section 1" business.

-Andrew

Generally speaking you will not get a rimfire (.22lr or hmr) if the reason for it is fox control. The police will insist on centrefire for fox. I cannot imagine them ever conditioning fac air for fox.

22lr and hmr are both well suited to fox control when used appropriately, meaning head shots at close range, but your reason for owning one of these will have to be control of vermin (rabbits) or similar. To lawfully use rimfire against foxes, ask for "any other lawful quarry" and you will be ok.

It is perfectly lawful to use rimfire against fox but use against fox is not an acceptable reason for asking for rimfire. Not as daft as it sounds.

No, I don't personally shoot full grown hares with FAC air either. As regards shifting up from 12ft lb they seem real power packed guns though in relation to even the lowly .22 lr they are puny- well off the cards for foxes. At the end of the day you can kill just about anything with anything its then a case of percentages.

post-20848-0-47445800-1391550869_thumb.jpg

post-20848-0-73127200-1391550899_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the pic quality.

First 3 are Wolverine ammo, the 4th is .22lr Solid, then .22 air and .177 air.

A 100 ft lb PLUS Wolverine should be able to deal with a fox quite comfortably in the right circumstances.

Would I want one, buy one, need one or use on a fox...NO, I have plenty of other options! :yes::good:

buy a Daystate wolverine 303, 100ftlb,

the guys have been shooting wild boar with them and with great results also,

would I use a fac air any smaller than the 303 for fox ? certainly not,, do you think I,m mad, :lol:

atb Evo

Goes to show you what total garbage some fools push to sell a useless plaything as a proper tool don't it just :rolleyes:

Yeah, would I like to stand in front of a large angry pig with a gun producing 100 ft / lb - NOPE! I wouldn't do it with my .243 win producing 1850 ft lb to put it in perspective either. Airguns are paltry by comparison even the .22 Hornet puts out 600-700 ft lb. Why do you think people like large game calibres, 12 ga slugs and magnum cartridges? Minimum recommended for Boar is .270 if you listen to St Huberts, which we should on the matter at hand

100 ft /lb just sounds a lot when your used to no more than 12 ft lb. Indeed on mention of the catty one of these can push a 200 grain lead ball at 250 FPS - do the maths

Goes to show you what total garbage some fools push to sell a useless plaything as a proper tool don't it just :rolleyes:

Yeah, would I like to stand in front of a large angry pig with a gun producing 100 ft / lb - NOPE! I wouldn't do it with my .243 win producing 1850 ft lb to put it in perspective either. Airguns are paltry by comparison even the .22 Hornet puts out 600-700 ft lb. Why do you think people like large game calibres, 12 ga slugs and magnum cartridges? Minimum recommended for Boar is .270 if you listen to St Huberts, which we should on the matter at hand

100 ft /lb just sounds a lot when your used to no more than 12 ft lb. Indeed on mention of the catty one of these can push a 200 grain lead ball at 250 FPS - do the maths

kent ,, why cant you read my post again,,would I personally use any fac air rifle to shoot a fox ? NO is the answer,

the op is asking a question,, or did you not read that properly also ?

the topic says FAC AIR

I was merely pointing out that the daystate wolverine(FAC AIR) is used to great effect shooting boar and other such large animals (American market) and is more than capable of dispatching a fox, would I myself personally use one to shoot a fox ? in the right conditions I probably would, I was merely pointing out that it would be the only fac air rifle I would use if the circumstances arose, although there are larger calibres,

I would much prefer to use my shotgun as I don't own a 243 or 22.250 and the shotgun has accounted for many and not once have they run off, the op was not asking what calibre to use on foxes he wanted to know about FAC AIR and the Wolverine would suit what THE OP was asking

atb Evo

What's not been mentioned much is what kind of range we're talking about. No idiot will say that an FAC air can take the place of a centre fire foxing cal. like a .243. However, when Team Wild tested the Wolverine .303, the figures on impact make for interesting reading:

20yds 30yd 40yd 50yd 60yd 70yd

Group 14mm 14 18 23 33 36

vel. 855fps 808 753.6 750.7 738.2 724

FT/LB 81.4 72.1 63.6 62.7 60.6 58.3

at 70yds, it's still delivering 60% muzzle energy. Kept at normal FAC ranges (<70yd), the Wolverine's delivering significantly more energy on impact that most FAC air rifles deliver at the muzzle. Personally, I still wouldn't be happy with it, but those energy results are enough to do the job. I'd still rather have far too much power than risk having too little. I'm not going to be eating a fox, so what does it matter if it's obliterated? Evo's point (perhaps better explained and well made in his second post!) is that a Wolverine has the oomph. There are videos on you tube (again TW) of clean bore kills with it, but the ranges are tiny (30yds I think?). It's not ideal, but it is possible.

Edited by chrisjpainter

Am suprised that folk wouldnt take hare at sensible ranges with FAC air.

.22 16gn&21gn pellets at 30Ft/Lb would go straight through a hare skull and be instantly fatal at 50yards.

At 50yards it passes straight through 1.5 inch of a peice of pine so a hare skull should be a breeze. Through and through is dead when the brain is concerned, dobut you would notice much difference with a .22lr.

ATB

Matt

Am suprised that folk wouldnt take hare at sensible ranges with FAC air.

.22 16gn&21gn pellets at 30Ft/Lb would go straight through a hare skull and be instantly fatal at 50yards.

At 50yards it passes straight through 1.5 inch of a peice of pine so a hare skull should be a breeze. Through and through is dead when the brain is concerned, dobut you would notice much difference with a .22lr.

ATB

Matt

They probably would Matt, but .22 lr hits a heck of a lot harder at 50 yards than a 30ft lb air rifle and leaves more room for error. Hares can be tough animals. If you were to be slightly off your mark with an airgun pellet at 50 yards, retaining around 20ft lbs or less, chances of putting the hare down would be considerably less than a 40grain subsonic bullet retaining around 85ft lbs of energy. I use rimfires or fairly heavy 12 bore loads for hares. Just my opinion, but I have shot a lot of hares over the years. FAC air will do it, but I reckon I've got better tools for the job so I use them.