Delay In Clearing Permission - Ask for Open Cert?

Brad93

Hi guys. Picked up a new piece of permission two weeks ago and the landowner is keen for me to get out and knock the rabbit numbers back before they start multiplying! I submitted the permission letter, google earth map, OS map and co-ordinates on the 25th.

What would a reasonable time frame be?

Should I ask for my certificate to be opened? Would the delay be a good reason?

Went out with the shotgun Saturday, some local people who have horses on a couple of fields 400 odd yards away soon put an end to that. Not sure the air rifle with have the range. Will go out with it tonight none the less.

I would have a chat with the landowner on the land you are shooting on, before I took much notice of what people 1/4 of a mile away are complaining about. It's the permission giver's viewpoint that matters.

Might be worthwhile if approached by the horse owners again to point out that rabbit control is in their interests as well rabbit holes cause many injuries to horses some leading to the horse being put down. I shoot next to a horse breeders farm and when needed on it Her horses soon got used to me being about. As above its the landowners wishes that matter. See what he thinks he may well say **** em most do.

Thing is I have horses myself, mine obviously don't particularly like it but as long as they can see me and associate where the noise is coming from the don't mind.

These people are town types that rent a piece of land and a stable and then think they own the countryside. The type that leave gates open, trespass on private land and have no regards for any other countryside activities. They probably don't support fox hunting or shooting.

I don't have much sympathy for them if they behave like that just crack on and ignore them. The horses will get used to it barring hot air balloons which our old pony hated shooting seems to become back ground noise to them soon enough. How do the race horse stables go on in arable country with gas guns going off and they must be some of the most highly stung horses you'll find.

We have 2 horses on our fields, and they are entirely used to shooting. I can fire a 12 bore 50 yards from them with no issues at all. Half the time they're a pain in the butt, coming over to see what I'm up to !

I do know a few horse owners who actually like people to shoot relatively close by, as it makes the horses less skittish.

Make sure the landowner knows the score and get out there with the airgun or take only a trusted person with an open (who wont nip in behind your back) with the landowners full consent.

Personally I am against open conditions until the FAC holder has a fair amount of experience ( I don't know if you qualify under that?) My thoughts are it puts to great an onus on them and some are very keen to secure any shooting (though some FEOs haven't got a clue either these days and do everything off a tick box). If you feel you do have credible and relevant experience just ask

Hi guys. Picked up a new piece of permission two weeks ago and the landowner is keen for me to get out and knock the rabbit numbers back before they start multiplying! I submitted the permission letter, google earth map, OS map and co-ordinates on the 25th.

What would a reasonable time frame be?

Should I ask for my certificate to be opened? Would the delay be a good reason?

Do you mean 25 Jan? What is the normal in your region or is the first you have applied for? No delay or incompetency on the part of your Region will be good reason to Open your FAC, if that was the case everyone would have one! :lol::good:

I got my fac as open on first application by doing just that, kept phoning saying the landowner and others were going to look elsewhere as it was taking so long

although Im a full time pest controller, that may have made the difference

On the basis that you could have easily won if you sued for loss of work / income, then yes just a bit

They won't let you get within air rifle range kent. Get within 60 yards and they're running for the hedgerow. If I can sit a 70-80 yards I can just take em as they come out onto the field.

It's all hay fields so it's short grass this time of yeAr

Edited by Brad93

They won't let you get within air rifle range kent. Get within 60 yards and they're running for the hedgerow. If I can sit a 70-80 yards I can just take em as they come out onto the field.

It's all hay fields so it's short grass this time of year

Lamp it then on a dark and windy night, preferably when the wind allows you to walk the hedge so any disturbance they come back home towards you :good: done well it will impress the owner and keep him sweet, guys loose permission all the time from not being able to act

Lamp it then on a dark and windy night, preferably when the wind allows you to walk the hedge so any disturbance they come back home towards you :good: done well it will impress the owner and keep him sweet, guys loose permission all the time from not being able to act

Went over last night, managed one with the air rifle which is playing up. May go again tonight when I've sorted it out

Had this conversation before, clearing land not only relates to the firearms being used but also the certificate holder using them i was told. That land must be noted on your file that the police hold as being cleared and you having permission to shoot there

Edited by Brad93

found the legislation, i guess it could be taken both ways. Maybe one for BASC?

a) Territorial Conditions on use

10.41 A territorial condition restricts the areas where a firearm may be used by a person who
holds a firearm for sporting purposes or for the shooting of problem wildlife It is important
that there should be standardisation of practice amongst forces and for this purpose it is
recommended that new certificate holders should be limited to land considered suitable
by the chief officer. When a chief officer is satisfied that a certificate holder has gained
sufficient experience with a particular calibre or class of firearm the less restrictive condition
may be considered appropriate (see Appendix 3). In all circumstances the “any lawful
quarry condition” should be applied (see appendix 3).
Edited by Brad93

Absolute rubbish, if the Land is cleared its cleared there is no need to have it listed on your file as you only need 1 for good reason, which you have got for original firearms grant. Just phone them with the address and ask if the Land is cleared they will tell you over the phone by looking on there computer

If you want to ask me any questions pm me and I will give you my phone number.

Edited by jasons gold