weather

islandgun

A minute ago what the professor said was obvious to you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quite so, this is actually a puddle caused by rainwater which the ground cannot take up. It flows into the Thames, so perhaps you could ask your professor why the Thames level in this area is going down?

post-20848-0-77803300-1392243021_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dekers

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Presumably because the tidal range is 55 miles, Teddington lock down, with a height range of 23 feet.

I don't follow that, probably because I really don't know that much about the Thames, except it has had an unbelievable flow on for weeks (it reached a previous peak some 4 weeks ago and then actually went down around 2', 600mm over about a 7 day period, still leaving it well above normal levels), since then it has risen to an even higher peak and reached an all time high to the locals knowledge between Wargrave and Marlow on 10.2.14.

At that time virtually all gates had been fully open on the Thames from it's source to the tidal part, with minor exceptions, for some 6 weeks, the land is not taking up water and many other rivers that are also in flood are discharging into the Thames, it has also been chucking it down with rain for the last few days, as well as weeks, so I just don't see why it is actually going down yesterday and more today!

Tomorrows levels will be interesting!

Edited by Dekers

Ask him yourself mate. I'm sure his qualifications won't stand up to yours :-)

Well probably, it doesn't seem his qualifications have answered many questions, at least I know what the Thames levels have been on a virtually daily basis since Christmas Eve. But as above, I don't know why they are going down, seems to chuck his words of wisdom and learning out the window!

We're doomed!

Virgin Trains ✔ @VirginTrains

Follow

NEW: ALL CUSTOMERS TO ABANDON TRAVEL #UKSTORM

5:27 PM - 12 Feb 2014

2,041 RETWEETS 257 FAVORITES ReplyRetweetFavorite

The problems for rail travel is fallen tree's or other debris on the track, only this week a Cross Country unit was taken out of service because of a tree strike, hole's punctured through the cab. A derailment could be fatal for many passengers, so you cant blame the company's foe safeguarding there customers and there businesses.

As they say better late than never,

A problem thats not been mentioned is the life on the flooded areas will be dead, all the insects worms, all feed for the wildlife, rabbits killed, drowned. This will have a knock on affect on everything. This will take years to recover, if it ever will.

Dunno mate, historically large areas were flooded (water meadows) and these were often the best grazing /hay meadows with nutrients brought onto the meadows by flood water, To have healthy plants you need a healthy insect population I guess, perhaps it is dependent on the duration of the flooding, how do plants live underwater air pockets?

A problem thats not been mentioned is the life on the flooded areas will be dead, all the insects worms, all feed for the wildlife, rabbits killed, drowned. This will have a knock on affect on everything. This will take years to recover, if it ever will.

Animals know theses things are coming and they adapt. Worms for example are very sensitive to temperature and they burrow deeper to avoid being frozen in the soil when there's a hard frost. That's why mole hills suddenly erupt after a thaw, the worms detect the rise in temperature and come back to the surface. All around here there are strings of mole hills above the water line as the moles follow the worms. Rabbits migrate to dryer ground, often into woods where the trees keep the ground dryer. Insects survive these crises through sheer numbers.

Animals are flexible. Its just humans who set their lives in concrete and refuse to cooperate with nature. King Canute was a man. An animal would have had more sense.

Indeed Egyptian civilisation depended on the annual Nile floods, in fact it could be argued that the floods were the cause of the Egyptian civilisation, allowing the cultivation of the land and thus the support of a large population, and the development of a sophisticated culture.

Dunno mate, historically large areas were flooded (water meadows) and these were often the best grazing /hay meadows with nutrients brought onto the meadows by flood water, To have healthy plants you need a healthy insect population I guess, perhaps it is dependent on the duration of the flooding, how do plants live underwater air pockets?

Heard a rumour from the Black Cat that if the rain persists for 8 more days then a World Heritage Site status classification will be given to Bodmin Moor, Dartmoor and Exmoor as Rain Forests. :yes::lol:

Drove past earlier today and noticed they have renamed it the "Black Capybara" in honor of our new World Heritage Site classification.

Damn me, that wasn't funny. Dropping wife and friend to the 'theatre' on Exmouth sea front. Just approaching the esplanade road when a Land Rover in front started bouncing all over the place which caused me to take my eye off the road ahead. Concentration restored and I then realised I was axle deep in water one second and completely submerged the next. The flood caused by the sea coming over the wall must have just happened as there was no warnings - police, signs,nothing. The Landy driver couldn't have been local as the road we were on takes a slight right hander before the esplanade and he'd gone straight on, up the kerb and across a pedestrian walking area. I didn't see where he ended up as I was being continually 'wiped out' by the waves. Dropped the girls off on the dry side and the police arrived as I was doing so. Note to self, go the other way when collecting them.

Damn me, that wasn't funny. Dropping wife and friend to the 'theatre' on Exmouth sea front. Just approaching the esplanade road when a Land Rover in front started bouncing all over the place which caused me to take my eye off the road ahead. Concentration restored and I then realised I was axle deep in water one second and completely submerged the next. The flood caused by the sea coming over the wall must have just happened as there was no warnings - police, signs,nothing. The Landy driver couldn't have been local as the road we were on takes a slight right hander before the esplanade and he'd gone straight on, up the kerb and across a pedestrian walking area. I didn't see where he ended up as I was being continually 'wiped out' by the waves. Dropped the girls off on the dry side and the police arrived as I was doing so. Note to self, go the other way when collecting them.

I remember hitting a flood, driving for several hundred meters with water lapping the doors and eventually clearing the flood to be greeted with a sign stating road clear, clearly the police thought it too dangerous to drive through, to put a danger flood sign up.