HMR hang fire whilst lamping last night

Blunderbust

I thought I would take advantage of the fact that it was dry with a clear night and get out and do some lamping. I have been promising that I would get out as soon as the weather allowed as the estate owner was telling me that the Rabbits have been playing havoc with the big lawn. I got out at about 1930 and within the first hour I had 11 bunnies in the bag (sorry forgot to take my phone for pics) at least the freezer would be topped up a bit. I then wandered around the estate house and other lawn area's where I bagged another 3. I was lining up on number 15 and squeezed of the trigger to hear a small Phut then a split second later a normal crack. It reminded me of shooting with a flintlock. Any way, I know the round had left the barrel as the rabbit was bowled over.

I decided that was enough skinned the bunnies, packed up and headed home. Once I had washed the meat and packed it into the freezer I thought I would have a look at the HMR bullets that I had left in my pocket and from 35 bullets left from a 50 box I found that 3 of them were split. See the pic attached.

CroppedHMR.jpg

I am sorry about the quality of the pic, (taken from my phone at close range, once I found where I had left it) but hope that you can see the splits. I believe that this problem has now been sorted and I must admit these rounds have been in the ammo cabinet for over a year.

I thought that the splits were happening during firing but this does not seem to be the case. Even though this has been covered on numerous occasions, I thought I would post this so that anyone using older batches might want to check there bullets before they go out.

Edited by Blunderbust

I wonder if the manufacturer / manufacturers are struggling to make enough profit on the hmr yet keep it a viable cartridge for small pests costs wise? Hornaday doing the lighter .17 pill in its latter .17 hornet might point to this chain of thought instead of going with the heavier and higher BC bullet. It must cost a lot to set up making the bullet heads at any sort of quantity to make any real profit. Just a thought.

There's a lot of talk about split HMR cases I've never had a problem. You can clearly see the splits in the cases in the photograph. Will you take the ammo back from wence it came BB? Looking on the brighter side,at least the round didn't get stuck in the barrel which can happen with split cases.

Good to see you shot a few. Last night was about the first time we've had decent weather in months,you did well to get out.

I have seen a few split cases , like yours Jimmy they were on the older blue tipped hornadays not seen any on the red tips so far so perhaps its now sorted .

Dont know if moisture can get in the split and cause damp propelent , I would have though the head would seal it ?

The problem with these shoulder splits is inherent in the manufacturing process although it most commonly manifests itself after firing.

To my way of thinking it will never be solved 100%, that is impossible with the current manufacturing process.

I suspect reports such as this will go on as long as the HMR exists.

I do intend on taking them back to where I got them, more as a "making the point" issue. I tend to agree with you Dekers in your 100% comment. However I feel that it is a possibility that the cracks and the hang fire may indeed be linked. I feel that with the packing of the rounds being up side down, if damp did get in due to the crack then this could possibly cause the powder to become a solid unit and leave a slight hollow space between the priming medium and the powder its self, which could cause the reaction that I experienced last night. This is just my thoughts which is sort of reinforced in my mind buy the fact that the empty case was in fact split.

I had a bullet lodged in my Hmr a few weeks ago - 1" up - split case Remmington Accutip 1st time & Ive put 1000's through my 2 Hmr's. When I got home I checked through all my Hmr ammo, 690 of them, & found 5 with split necks. I noted the batch number on an envelope, put the 5 split rounds in & dropped it at my RFD where they were purchased & he said he contact his supplier, 6 weeks on he's done nothing at all ! but at least I know the Hmr rounds in my safe don't have split necks ;)

I had a bullet lodged in my Hmr a few weeks ago - 1" up - split case Remmington Accutip 1st time & Ive put 1000's through my 2 Hmr's. When I got home I checked through all my Hmr ammo, 690 of them, & found 5 with split necks. I noted the batch number on an envelope, put the 5 split rounds in & dropped it at my RFD where they were purchased & he said he contact his supplier, 6 weeks on he's done nothing at all ! but at least I know the Hmr rounds in my safe don't have split necks ;)

I don't have a lot left so I will do the same as you then when I go to buy new I am going to try and source a newer batch if indeed we have any new ones in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you all on what the outcome of my full check on the remaining HMR rounds that I have left from the above batch. I checked 259 rounds and found a further 37 all with the same split damage to the cases. I have been out a few times since checking them and have not had any hang or misfires and no rounds stuck in the barrel. I now think that these splits are indeed the cause of the problems I have had in the past.

Bizarre BB. When I read a similar post about a year ago I checked all the .17HMR ammo I had in my possession at the time for split/damaged cases. There were over 400 rounds from memory and I looked at them through a magnifying glass. Not one was damaged. I've never had a problem and guess what? All of the rounds where Hornady (red tips). Yours must be a bad batch do you think?

Bizarre BB. When I read a similar post about a year ago I checked all the .17HMR ammo I had in my possession at the time for split/damaged cases. There were over 400 rounds from memory and I looked at them through a magnifying glass. Not one was damaged. I've never had a problem and guess what? All of the rounds where Hornady (red tips). Yours must be a bad batch do you think?

Yes I believe that is probably the case. Once I use what is left I will try to source some more but from an other gun shop, where did you get yours and what is the cost?

attachicon.gifDsc01241a.jpg

Several brands here, and I have a good 50 more split cases as well, I don't think any manufacturer is immune, simply a bi product of the flawed manufacturing process!

i have had a few different brands split like them and they shot fine personally i have heard of a few of these hang fires and all with the blue tips sounds like a bad batch as there was a period 12months to 18 months ago

just a thought

colin

i have had a few different brands split like them and they shot fine personally i have heard of a few of these hang fires and all with the blue tips sounds like a bad batch as there was a period 12months to 18 months ago

just a thought

colin

:yes::yes: :yes: Yep, not problems in firing at all!

I'm pleased to say I have never had a hang fire or a squib from a HMR, plenty of split cases though! :good:

Yes I believe that is probably the case. Once I use what is left I will try to source some more but from an other gun shop, where did you get yours and what is the cost?

They came from Chris at Wymondham, Norfolk Sporting Guns, I think they were £10.50 for 50. He also does Winchesters in .17HMR

Edited by Whitebridges

I had similar problems with a batch of Remingtons, click-bangs, then a couple stuck in the barrel, all with split necks. http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/17-hmr-bullets-jammed-in-the-barrel-on-cz452-rifle-with-remington-ammo/ I checked the remainder and found more, so stopped using them. They could have been quite old from the back of the cabinet. The blue tip Hornady after that were fine, also the reds. Each new batch of 50 I've checked, have been fine so far.