Magnet motor draining battery's ?

Dbw1shrops

Hi all just recently my charged 12v 7 amp battery's don't seem to last to long ( about 2 hours max ) this is with Hypa flaps ? Any advise for me PW massive ? I'm thinking either the motor is on it's way out or maybe it just needs a good lubing up as I can't recall ever doing it in the last 5 years ? If so how do I go about doing this ? Can I take it apart to grease up,or is it a matter of a spray with some WD 40 ??? Cheers

Dave

Get hold of a mutli-meter and check how much current it's pulling.

If it's drawing 3.5 amps, then the battery's OK. ( 2 x 3.5 = 7...)

I've no idea what a typical magnet motor draws. Perhaps someone else can measure theirs.

By the way, if these batteries are SLAs (ie, lead-acid gel), then they can be charged on a constant *voltage* source. I sometimes charge my SLAs on a "fancy" (read "expensive") charger or, if that's in use, I just stick them on a bench power supply at either 13.8V (for a 12V battery) or 6.9V (for a 6V one). Lead-acid batteries will self-limit and pull very little current from a PSU when fully charged.

Regards,

Mark.

Can you get someone with a multimeter to see what amps the motor is pulling? Dividing the 7Ah by that figure will tell you if the battery is performing as advertised - ie if the motor runs for 2 hours then a 3.5 amp ish reading is to be expected. If it's much lower then the battery is suspect; higher then the motor needs looking at if it's previously run for a longer period.

Edit : Oh dear, sorry, chAos my slow typing again. Just also add that it pays to fully run these down once in a while.

Edited by wymberley

There's only 1 which is about a year older as for charging I always charge them back up same day I've used them and when there finished the ultimate speed charger (lidl) comes up with a green light and either stops charging or trickle charges them so might invest in another battery and take a look at the magnet.

Dave

Was thinking of getting either a 20 or 22ah that should keep me going all day but still want to find out why there draining so quickly Hypa flaps are only light and if I want to put dead birds in I dread to think how long they will last ?

Dave

I reckon your batteries are getting knackered. This happens, I bought a brand new one that was faulty (20ah) and only lasted 4 hours. I have now replaced my old batteries with two brand new 22ah ones. These will last for as long as I need them to.

A tip for using dead birds that were previously shot. Cut off the breasts. This will considerably cut down on weight and therefore put less strain on the motor.