Side x Side

Bungle The Bear

Just a few questions about a S X S I have inherited - its a Gunmark Royale sidelock, its a beautiful looking piece of kit with a lovely dark stock and seems to be put together vey well.

I actually used it on the last few days of the pheasants and shot really well with it - I seem to see better than when shooting my silver Pigeon. It has been quite well used but still i very tight on the face - but could maybe do with the furniture and barrells re-blacked, just a pity its been stored butt down and the oil has made a tiny crack at the back of the safety catch "strap" is this likely to get bigger?

Also is there anything that i can use to dry out the excess oil - someone has suggested fullers earth?

I understand from the Markings on the flats that it has been made by Garbi - does anyone else have any knowledge of these - reliability build qaulity etc.

I use nitromors to remove the old varnish. If you can't get any acetone then soaking it in white spirt for a week or however long it takes will work as well.

In terms of the split, I would ether very gently open the split wide enough to fill it with glue. Possibly gently twisting a screwdriver in the inletting might open it enough to get some glue in. Or if you can't open it then drill a small hole underneath the surface (in the inletting) running with the split down the stock then fill the hole with glue. Polyurethane would probably be best something like gorilla glue. Obviously fill the split after you have got the oil out.

Good luck.

Commercial thinners from a auto paint supplier is good .What I use . Best to warm it first to get it to sweat and wipe off excess oil with a tissue before soaking in any solvent . Will leave you with a "white " finish but should stain and oil Ok after .

Edited by Gunman

If the crack is very thin i.e. too thin to get a screwdriver in, you could try a water-thin cyanoacrylate ("super glue"), which will wick down into the crack and seal it.

Never tried this on gun stocks, but it works on knife handles.

You do need to get rid of any residual oil or grease first, mind.