Which semi auto?

Adrianp

Hi all,

after a probationary 'we'll see how it goes' period I've now been given full permission on a local farm. Yippee!! I want a semi auto for pigeon and crow shooting as I don't want to continue to use my O/U game gun. Now here's the dilemma. In my local gun shop there is a choice of a brand new Beretta Outlander or for a few pounds less there is a used Benelli Montefeltro. The Benelli when new would have been more expensive so....... is it better to have a used gun that was initially more expensive or a new one with a warranty. ( the used one is in very good condition and has only had light use by the look of it.) I'm only interest in one or the other but which one .....advise please.

Thanks

Adrian

Hi all,

after a probationary 'we'll see how it goes' period I've now been given full permission on a local farm. Yippee!! I want a semi auto for pigeon and crow shooting as I don't want to continue to use my O/U game gun. Now here's the dilemma. In my local gun shop there is a choice of a brand new Beretta Outlander or for a few pounds less there is a used Benelli Montefeltro. The Benelli when new would have been more expensive so....... is it better to have a used gun that was initially more expensive or a new one with a warranty. ( the used one is in very good condition and has only had light use by the look of it.) I'm only interest in one or the other but which one .....advise please.

Thanks

Adrian

Is the shop Greenfields in Salisbury? If so I think they give a years warranty on 2nd hand guns.

Hi,SAFC1973 yes it is Greenfields and yes they do offer a 1 year warranty on 2nd hand guns. Great shop the staff are very helpful and know what their talking about unlike some others local to me. I went for the outlander in the end and have been out with it most of yesterday pigeon shooting and am taking it clay shooting today! so far it's performing as it should. I put through some 34g high pheasant and a few JK6s I had left over and today will try a 28g clay load.

Cheers

Hi all,

Thanks

Adrian

Why do you not want to continue with the game gun? there is a lot to be said about the man with one gun!

neither do i.... :lol:

seriously though, sometimes i hear statements like the afformentioned and it irritates me just a little.

where i shoot, i can easily take 5 or 6 birds with a section 1 semi auto and strike a kill with every shot.

so to make a statement like "you rarely need 3 shots" is a little presumptuous given the circumstances,

and then when someone presents a valid argument to your statement to reply in the manner in which retrolmc did just exacerbates it.

just my opinion though... :ninja:

Edited by brett1985

oh really?

please explain.

i cannot wait to hear your reasons....

The fact that an 8+1 shotgun on Sect 1 is 'good reason', for avian pest control, is good enough for needing more than 2 shots quickly.

The amount of times a few pigeon have flown past just as I've been reloading an O/U were plenty. You can reload a semi auto 'on the fly' much easier whilst keeping your eyes on the action.

The fact that an 8+1 shotgun on Sect 1 is 'good reason', for avian pest control, is good enough for needing more than 2 shots quickly.

The amount of times a few pigeon have flown past just as I've been reloading an O/U were plenty. You can reload a semi auto 'on the fly' much easier whilst keeping your eyes on the action.

My point exactly!

Ok I don't wanna start a row,BUT,in my area we don't have thousands flocking in relentlessly for a 500 bird day.and I shoot with a couple of lads to keep them on the move,and very rarely I have required 3 shots and hardly hear a 3 rd shot going off,the 3rd is usually a last attempt to shoot it as it ******* off, in 5 years I have only shot 3 from 3 once or twice.And admittedly a 3rd shot sometimes gets the second bird.I don't shoot wildfowl so can't comment on that situation.my actual point was that most of the time 2 shots will be enough and as he gets on with his game gun why confuse things with a different gun?if you are in an area where your birds come in despite an FAC 8+1 and you use all those carts then you are lucky or lying.its nice to have a 3rd but on the whole rarely use it. I'm not an awesome shot by the way.

Ok I don't wanna start a row,BUT,in my area we don't have thousands flocking in relentlessly for a 500 bird day.and I shoot with a couple of lads to keep them on the move,and very rarely I have required 3 shots and hardly hear a 3 rd shot going off,the 3rd is usually a last attempt to shoot it as it ******* off, in 5 years I have only shot 3 from 3 once or twice.And admittedly a 3rd shot sometimes gets the second bird.I don't shoot wildfowl so can't comment on that situation.my actual point was that most of the time 2 shots will be enough and as he gets on with his game gun why confuse things with a different gun?if you are in an area where your birds come in despite an FAC 8+1 and you use all those carts then you are lucky or lying.its nice to have a 3rd but on the whole rarely use it. I'm not an awesome shot by the way.

I don't own an 8+1 btw, that was just an example. A mate owns one, based on avian pest control.

I suppose the point is... Some need it, some don't need it and some just don't want it.

i have a 3 shot auto and use 3 shots ....sometimes but 2 shots seems to be good enough for Mr Digweed,maybe Brett shoud give him lessons on how to shot 6 in a row.Ive NEVER heard of anyone shoot 6 in a row without time to reload.still I s'pose it's more than do-able,we just don't have the numbers to need a 9 shot auto.