death penalty

sable

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone who has gone to prison for murder has been 100% guilty. A small, but significant number have had their convictions quashed. Think about it.

This has nothing to do with the EU - Britain banned hanging way before the EU and in fact before many countries currently in the EU.

Vengeance is a powerful emotion - but has no place in the rule of law.

No, I think it is dangerous when you give the government the power to terminate life. Haven't we learned enough from 20th Century. hitler, Stalin, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot.

I understand th reasoning behind the death sentence, it would save money so we don't have to kep thme in prison. However, being very afraid of what would happen if (not if, when) govenrment would abuse the death penalty, I would rather that my money go to keep these scum in prison. This is the compromise I am willing to put up with.

Very true, but I would want revenge if the victim was one of my children, and would regard nothing less as justice.

Completely understandable emotion.

But if you think about it - Vengeance was the motivation for Lee Rigby's murderers.

Edited by aris

But they will/have suffered in prison all of their lives and have to wake up each day and continue their futile existence while the monotony drives them mad/insane,suffering everyday wishing they could die,but knowing we will keep them alive as long as possible.

They don't suffer though, our prisons are like butlins as we're more worried about infringing their human rights than making them suffer. They get tv's, pool tables and other luxuries, they get the choice to study or to work to earn some pocket money.

This is completely unacceptable! when you take someone's life you should suffer, not get let out and reoffend as you prefer it inside. I'd bring in hard labour, get them all out in sprout fields working the land for pittance to keep our farmers labour costs down, they should give up all human rights and be made to regret what they've done. They should be wishing for the death penalty.

Or bring back the death penalty, save a shed load of tax' sand give most families a sense of real justice instead of Micky mouse justice where people can kill people and be out in 10 years for good behaviour. Or punch an innocent man and kill him then get 4.5 years for manslaughter because you didn't really mean to kill him it just happened!

Our justice system is a joke where guilty people get let off or get an easy life in prison and the victims or their families do the suffering.

Edited by bicykillgaz

They don't suffer though, our prisons are like butlins as we're more worried about infringing their human rights than making them suffer. They get tv's, pool tables and other luxuries, they get the choice to study or to work to earn some pocket money.

i think you will find your thinking of cat c prisons cat a is a different story

absolutely , my first reaction was as Kes pointed out its the families choice, then after consideration i came to the same conclusion as above except Falcon FN put it better than I could.

I would propose that a guilty sentence would mandatorily carry the death penalty for 100% guilty (no doubt at all) and that the victims relatives would be the one's who could commute the sentence to life by their own will, 12 months precisely after the death sentence is pronounced. No choice to kill but a choice to reprieve. I dont think that would be a problem and all could reprieve but those who feel their loss greatest could demand an 'eye for an eye.'

Completely understandable emotion.

But if you think about it - Vengeance was the motivation for Lee Rigby's murderers.

You do them too much service. It was religeon that gave the freedom to kill and the will to do it - their reaction to the judges comments about insulting Islam should confirm this. Vengeance is the explanation for the media.

I would go a bit further with the death sentence if you have been to prison twice, on your third conviction you would be topped you have had two chances to behave and learn the error of your ways.After the second spell in prison you would have to be a model citizen or risk execution.

You do them too much service. It was religeon that gave the freedom to kill and the will to do it - their reaction to the judges comments about insulting Islam should confirm this. Vengeance is the explanation for the media.

I give them no service at all. Their warped view of Islam or not - it was vengeance which prompted them to perform these acts. If religion took no part in this murder, I would expect the same sentence.

No.

The Lee Rigby case sure boiled the blood and frankly was amazed they were not both shot dead by the armed police that attended.....whereas the lad in North London was shot...but once arrested I believe the death penalty to be barbaric. Had a soldier come out of Woolich barracks and seen the Rigby incident and shot them both then I would have had no issue however...

I would propose that a guilty sentence would mandatorily carry the death penalty for 100% guilty (no doubt at all) and that the victims relatives would be the one's who could commute the sentence to life by their own will, 12 months precisely after the death sentence is pronounced. No choice to kill but a choice to reprieve. I dont think that would be a problem and all could reprieve but those who feel their loss greatest could demand an 'eye for an eye.'

A very convincing argument, but i feel that the poor family have been through enough without the added burden of pronouncing the death penalty, they may well a few years further on regret this decision for whatever reason religious or other, in the case of Lee Rigby the murderers actually wanted to die as martys this won't happen but they will suffer in prison by all and any means.

Edited by islandgun

I would go a bit further with the death sentence if you have been to prison twice, on your third conviction you would be topped you have had two chances to behave and learn the error of your ways.After the second spell in prison you would have to be a model citizen or risk execution.

What a good idea,how about we tattoo something on their head,like for the first offence of shoplifting we will tattoo "one",on the second offence of receiving stolen goods we will tattoo "two" and also underneath that a small cross,they have to have an aiming point don't they :rolleyes::no:

What are you, some kind of hippy? :oops:

I think it's time for me to leave this thread.

No.

The Lee Rigby case sure boiled the blood and frankly was amazed they were not both shot dead by the armed police that attended.....whereas the lad in North London was shot...but once arrested I believe the death penalty to be barbaric. Had a soldier come out of Woolich barracks and seen the Rigby incident and shot them both then I would have had no issue however...

anyone killing them to save lee rigby would have been acceptable thats a different topic but i agree

what can you say to that hope you dont rack up to many parking tickets :lol:

Edited by overandunder2012

with the dna evidence that we have today its very rare that someone who is NOT guilty is found guilty as in the past,,i do believe in capital punishment but only in the most serious crimes involving children and or the killing of our police,

there is no room in society for those sort of people, as for the two being sentenced today, hanging or any capital punishment is what they would have wanted, their religion makes them martyr,s which is exactly what they would have wanted,so in their case let them spend the rest of their life in jail amongst the masses who are after their blood

atb EVO

overandunder2012

please explain why you are against it as your post suggests please ???

There have been a number of cases where the DNA evidence is either mistaken or corrupted. Life Is much better, mistakes can be rectified and imagine knowing that the next 70 years will have the same view out of the same window.....

Let's also bring back hard labour for the worst offenders.

I would agree ,but that wont happen inside for these scum bags ,tv playstations and segregation ,are on the menu for these rotter's (would have said worse but the mods will tell me off again).

I don't know if you just believe everything you read in the Daily Mail, but every time i have visited someone in prison, it has been a genuine hole. No play stations and the luxuries you talk of, i have seen one really clapped out TV shared in a cell but its hardly the life of luxury that some people make out. Unless you have nicer prisons down south.

I don't know if you just believe everything you read in the Daily Mail, but every time i have visited someone in prison, it has been a genuine hole. No play stations and the luxuries you talk of, i have seen one really clapped out TV shared in a cell but its hardly the life of luxury that some people make out. Unless you have nicer prisons down south.

It must vary:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/9320916/Gordon-Ramsay-I-cant-believe-how-easy-life-is-in-British-prisons.html