Hornady A-max?

ok, just a general question on other peoples opinions on the hornady a-max (in .223). apparently its a non expanding ammo but after being given a few heads to play with i mixed up some ballistic gel and did a couple of tests and i have to ask how the hell is the a-max not listed as an expanding ammo? it behaved just like an expanding round? i used three rounds for comparison on separate gelatine blocks, the first as a bench mark was a 52 grain FMJ with 25 grains of reloader 15 to send it down range (test range was 150 yds) and the damage was as expected relatively minimal, passed through with "minimal" damage. next round was a poly tip V-max 52 grain with same powder to send it on its way. as expected damage was catastrophic! gel everywhere!!! which had me and my mate chuckling away :lol: and last but not least up came the a-max 52 grain again same powder load and the damage down range was almost identical, expansion seemed a smidgeon slower but still more appeared to have rather rapid expansion and i can't make heads or tails of it? anyone offer some input? anyone ever tried an a-max on live game? I'm aware that any well placed shot from a .223 FMJ or expanding would drop what you were pointing it at but I'm just baffled how the a-max is listed as non expanding???

From my own experience V Max expansion is slightly delayed, the A Max expand on impact. This is not scientific, as this has been doing the rounds for years, just based on my own experience.

I have shot bunnies and foxes with 50 and 60 grain V Max and, normally, there is a small entry wound and either the inside is mush or the exit side is blown out.

With the A Max, most of the time, there is a large impact crater and no exit wound.

A-Max was designed for metal plate targets so it pops as soon as it hits the plate. that's why you finding was it popped sooner than the V-Max.

They work on soft body animals with no problem, IE: fox and rabbit.

Dont rock the boat with it as there was talk a while ago but a muppet trying to reclassify them, more like a billy no mates with nothing better to do.

Yes they expand very well, love the 52gr in the .222

i got less exits on foxes with VMax than I do with AMax

despite the marketing hype saying they are more frangible and break up easier than VMax that is not what I have found

that said, they come in the post are cheaper and work just as well!!

they use them for hunting in US, Aus and NZ!

cheers for the info guys. next question, can anyone be kind enough to give me a link to somewhere i can buy it? as I'm having a fair bit of trouble finding anymore online? only got bout 30 heads left of what i was given and my rifle seems to like it. further testing gave me a 0.8 inch group at 150 yds. need the 52 grain heads as I'm using a 1in12 twist rifle. anyone know where i can get some?