Hedgehog

steve_b_wales

At 03.30 this morning, one of the staff came into the office and said that there was a rat in one of the recycling bags outside. As we have had a problem with rats, I went to investigate. Sure enough, there was a rustling sound coming from inside the bag and we could see it moving. I picked up an old broom handle and was just about to give the bag a whack, when I noticed a hedgehog's bag leg poking out of the bag. Sure enough, it was 'our' hedgehog inside the bag, looking for what, I don't know. Anyway, I grabbed the hedgehog with a towel and put it back into the garden area. One very lucky hedgehog!

Me too. Of all the years ( too many to count) that I've been on farms etc, I've never seen one, not even while lamping. This little one comes into the garden area of a community house where I work It may have been attracted by the bird food that is dropped from the feeders that we have hanging. In the early hours of this morning,while on a night shift, I sat outside and watched it moving about searching for scraps. I think it ate a few peanuts. It was no more that 2ft away from me.

I'm absolutely amazed that you have never seen one before, especially being out shooting etc. Years ago they were targeted by keepers as they are very fond of eggs and many a pheasant or partridge would lose a clutch of eggs due to hedgehogs. One of the biggest problems they face these days is predation by our ever increasing badger population.

I'm absolutely amazed that you have never seen one before, especially being out shooting etc. Years ago they were targeted by keepers as they are very fond of eggs and many a pheasant or partridge would lose a clutch of eggs due to hedgehogs. One of the biggest problems they face these days is predation by our ever increasing badger population.

Think predators are Environment/Chemical usage , Weather, Road traffic.

Badgers as with most predators look for the easy "less effort spent" option ... they plough through earthworm.

Areas were Badgers/Foxes haven't greatly increased in numbers, doesnt necessarily correlate with increased numbers of Hedgehogs.

Badgers as with most predators look for the easy "less effort spent" option ... they plough through earthworm.

Areas were Badgers/Foxes haven't greatly increased in numbers, doesnt necessarily correlate with increased numbers of Hedgehogs.

Chemical usage is a lot more controlled now compared to what it used to be before the decline of the hedgehog and the weather hasn't changed that dramatically but the traffic has definitely had a huge affect. I agree that 'less effort spent' but having seen areas that used to hold a lot of hedgehogs and seeing badgers picking them off very easily it is less effort than digging for worms. They pull them open and turn the inside out in a matter of seconds, just the same way they do lambs.

Chemical usage is a lot more controlled now compared to what it used to be before the decline of the hedgehog and the weather hasn't changed that dramatically but the traffic has definitely had a huge affect. I agree that 'less effort spent' but having seen areas that used to hold a lot of hedgehogs and seeing badgers picking them off very easily it is less effort than digging for worms. They pull them open and turn the inside out in a matter of seconds, just the same way they do lambs.

Why the decline in hedgehog numbers in towns for instance ... ??

Think the Badger tearing them from.limb to.limb cant be a reason that has any significance regards population collapse. Its true a Badger can take a hedgehog on a rare ocassion .. but to suggest the hedgehog population is compromised by Badgers is not so. Proven with many town hedgehogs, having once populating a town, thats Badger free, and their numbers collapsing dramatically ...

lm not suggesting Badgers dont take hedgehogs!! ... l can see that being a major cause of number collapsing though .. cheers

Edited by hoggysreels

Why the decline in hedgehog numbers in towns for instance ... ??

Think the Badger tearing them from.limb to.limb cant be a reason that has any significance regards population collapse. Its true a Badger can take a hedgehog on a rare ocassion .. but to suggest the hedgehog population is compromised by Badgers is not so.

I didn't suggest that badgers tear them limb from limb and they do take them a lot more than on a rare occasion. Not really sure about town hedgehogs as I haven't really had anything to do with them but I would imagine the traffic increases wouldn't have helped a great deal along with increased development destroying there habitat.

We always have hedgehogs in our garden. They live under the log store, which is raised off the ground as it has a base of old pallets. Been in the house for more than 30yrs and they've been here all that time. Never fed them. Plenty of food under the hedges and bushes.

Wow the Dawn chorus is loud this morning.

Edited by Fisheruk

And happily munch on nest full of baby hedgehogs. A nice easy meal.

I stopped see squashed hedgehogs in the road when I started seeing squashed badgers instead.

And happily munch on nest full of baby hedgehogs. A nice easy meal.

I stopped see squashed hedgehogs in the road when I started seeing squashed badgers instead.

So towns that have suffered the same national decline in hedgehog numbers. Though those towns have not for a long time had a Badger population, cant be linked into the Hedgehog decline.