LATEST KNIFE 2!!

bazzab

Hi all.

Been working on my latest knife. Not 100% complete but almost. So thought id share so far.

Helle harding blade.

Bog oak (sincere thanks again to Johnphillip)

Decided to do boiled linseed oil finish on the handle. Boy its different to tru oil. Far easier process. Just applied layer at a time with bare hands and rubbed it for a while so got nice and warm and allowed to dry and repeat. In this pic its had 6 coats. Gonna keep going. I think if im honest I prefer tru oil finish but I guess there different beasts. Decided to go for plain handle style and no brass. Really like the simple look.

Sheath again veg tan leather. Bit thicker than the last and added bit of different edge shape. Well pleased with it. In poc its only had 2 coats of dye and is still damp from shaping. Going to do couple more that will smooth it off and some nice sealer.

What you all think?

20140329_184819.jpg

20140329_184829.jpg

20140329_184859.jpg

20140329_184918.jpg

20140329_184941.jpg

You are making a great job on the sheath, you will have to have at carving the leather next. You need to invest in a bench polisher or conert one side of a bench grinder and fit a pigtail and use some mops. If you waxed the handle and polished on the bench polisher i think it would look amazing. Watch them on youtube, polishing blades and handles. You are doing very well bazza.

Thank you chaps comments mean a lot.

Thank you Johnphillip. Really kind words buddy. I love making them.

I agree about polisher BUT I live in an apartment so unfortunately dont have a shed/garage. My misses only just puts up with it as it is let alone a grinder!! I have a smallish cupboard with a shelf in for a bench. Gun cabinet and bits in there too. I dread to think how many ill be knocking out out once get workshop!!!

Nice work, and getting better, bazza.

I would suggest you try a stitch groover when you punch the holes. You'll find that it would make it much easier to get your stitch line parallel to the edge of the sheath.

One of these:

T45-T45-H.jpg

The gouge runs along at a fixed distance from the edge, and cuts a shallow groove in the surface of the leather, which you then run your marking wheel along. The stitches lie in the groove, which protects them from abrasion.

I would also suggest trying a diamond awl instead of drilling your stitching holes - it is a bit more effort, but it pays off in neater stitches. The diamond is set so that the long edges are parallel to the stitch line, so the line of diamonds is slanted. The stitches then lie at a consistent angle and make a nice elegant pattern.

Have you been warned about the addictive nature of what you have started?

Oh, and I really love that bog oak :D

Nice work, and getting better, bazza.

I would suggest you try a stitch groover when you punch the holes. You'll find that it would make it much easier to get your stitch line parallel to the edge of the sheath.

One of these:

T45-T45-H.jpg

The gouge runs along at a fixed distance from the edge, and cuts a shallow groove in the surface of the leather, which you then run your marking wheel along. The stitches lie in the groove, which protects them from abrasion.

I would also suggest trying a diamond awl instead of drilling your stitching holes - it is a bit more effort, but it pays off in neater stitches. The diamond is set so that the long edges are parallel to the stitch line, so the line of diamonds is slanted. The stitches then lie at a consistent angle and make a nice elegant pattern.

Have you been warned about the addictive nature of what you have started?

Oh, and I really love that bog oak :D

I have been looking at them mate. Im slowly getting bits. I cut stitch groove ny hand at the min. Ill def have a look though.

That hole jobby sounds great gonna research that.

Oh yes Johnphillip did warn me!!!!!!

Gotta love it hahaha.

Thank you chaps.

Yep I think I am. All ready planning the next one and not finished this yet!!!

Really want to get some leather stamps too.

Tandy

Unit 2, Crofton Oak, N Portway Close, Round Spinney Industrial Estate

Northampton NN3 8RD

United Kingdom

Phone: 01604-647910

Fax: 01604-647951

Toll Free: 0800-0856765

Most shops buy their carving / stamping stuff from Tandy - there local shop is almost on your doorstep :lol: :whistling: :whistling: :lol:

Tandy

Unit 2, Crofton Oak, N Portway Close, Round Spinney Industrial Estate

Northampton NN3 8RD

United Kingdom

Phone: 01604-647910

Fax: 01604-647951

Toll Free: 0800-0856765

Most shops buy their carving / stamping stuff from Tandy - there local shop is almost on your doorstep :lol: :whistling: :whistling: :lol:

I did see there website they have pretty much everything by looks of it I better not go in. Id be bankrupt!!!

Hi

Brilliant job get a polisher tell your missis it for your shoes

Anyway great stuff and thanks for sharing

Any chance of a few pictures of how you fit it together

All the best

Of

Haha what a great idea.

****** I didnt take any of stages. Ill def take some on the next one.

Poss gut hook next.