ravens

If you are decoying crows the chances of a raven coming in are very rare. :yes: Iv'e been shooting crows for over 40+ years and think only seen a couple getting close and as iv'e said loads around this area and other areas that i control. Had a call last night in fact a mate Ieun asked if i could please sort some crows out crows started to take lambs tongues as they are been born in fields .Been up this afternoon to look a good few carrion about and a few raven's. Told him its the carrion's thats doing the damage, Ravens would just take the lambs.

Will be giving it a bash first light tomorrow won't be a big bag but should get a few . :) atb Terry

If you cant perhaps you shouldn't be shooting? Call and like said reminiscent of a decent size BOP, crows are crows rooks are rooks its easy to tell but when a single rook comes over mixed in with a bunch of crows in woodland it sometimes catches a charge, never yet seen a raven flying with anything but one of its own. If in doubt don't fire though we all have times when we get it wrong but let them all be missed opportunities to laugh at not mistakes to regret

Don't worry about it mate, you will NOT find a Raven within 200 miles of Boston!

That's a very bold statement. Where I live is approximately 180 miles from Boston (as the crow flies) and I can assure you there are plenty of ravens around me and for at least 40 miles further towards Boston.

Don't worry about it mate, you will NOT find a Raven within 200 miles of Boston!

Not quite true. They are breeding in south Cambridgeshire and a couple of years ago a pair bred in Norfolk. Give it a decade or so and I expect they will become widespread like common buzzards. Having said that the odds of one comming within range of a shotgun around Boston are very low.

Edited by anser2

Here in Shetland we have a LOT of ravens. When we are setting up a hide for shooting geese I always think we have got it right when it fools the ravens, they are so wary. A couple of seasons ago I set up on a stubble park and when the first streaks of dawn came in the ravens started leaving their roost in the sea cliffs behind us and started heading in land, I counted 368 that passed over me before the first geese came. Last year there was a farmer that got a licence to kill ravens as he had lost 3 calf's to ravens no distance from his sheds.

Not quite true. They are breeding in south Cambridgeshire and a couple of years ago a pair bred in Norfolk. Give it a decade or so and I expect they will become widespread like common buzzards. Having said that the odds of one comming within range of a shotgun around Boston are very low.

They are in Northants 60 miles from Boston