ok so after reading some thread where there has been a debate over the actual size of a rabbits brain i have done something i have been meaning to do for a while,

i went out last night and chest shot a full grown rabbit so i could settle this debate,

the pictures below show the length, height, and width of a brain

this was from a full grown rabbit,

though the width would be a tad smaller as once it came out of the scull it squashed out a bit on my hand

colin

post-21693-0-54315100-1396881872_thumb.jpg

post-21693-0-75705800-1396881935_thumb.jpg

post-21693-0-21249500-1396881950_thumb.jpg

length is 3.080 cm or 30.80 mm

height is 1.946 cm or 19.46 mm

width is 2,685 cm or 26.85 mm

but with in scull would be smaller

colin

edit to say i shall with next one freeze one whole and band saw it down the middle to show size/area of heart and lung

Edited by colin lad

Guest rimotu66

length is 3.080 cm or 30.80 mm

height is 1.946 cm or 19.46 mm

width is 2,685 cm or 26.85 mm

but with in scull would be smaller

colin

edit to say i shall with next one freeze one whole and band saw it down the middle to show size/area of heart and lung

I look forward to episode two then :good:

on a serious note it is interesting to see the size of the target you are aiming for especially if you are an air gunner where the brain shot is the main aim,

i shall freeze down a whole rabbit and saw length ways to show the heart lung aim point too with my next one as this is the main area i shoot with the rim fire it seems to stop them instantly too

colin

Old boy I used to work with who grew up before mixy said when they had rabbit for dinner the kids would fight over who got the brains. Hardly seems worth fighting over. Must have tasted good. Like bone marrow perhaps?

By the way,nice neat dissection Colin.

on a serious note it is interesting to see the size of the target you are aiming for especially if you are an air gunner where the brain shot is the main aim,

Very true and vital point to take away from this exercise. It has always made me smile when people suggest all you have to do is hit the head to kill rabbits outright, usually in .177 V .22 type of discussions; you know, I have killed thousands of rabbits with me .177, all it takes is shooting them in the head and it's lights out. Well it isn't, and you'd only know that if you've hunted for real and come up against situations where the brain is missed, sometimes even brain matter being exposed doesn't lead to lights out.

Luckily hitting the head anywhere with a rimfire is pretty fatal but with air guns you really need to hit the right part which is harder to do than some make out.