Dont cap my benefits.

Jega

There is one simple way to solve this problem for once and all do what they did after the war and build lots of new homes for people to live in in my eyes forgeting the unemployed people anyone who is working full time even doing a low paid job should not need government assistence to beable to aford to rent a place to live and not a damp bug infested slum eather the only reason that rents are so high is to few houses problem solved but as long as the people who can aford to buy the buy to rent houses are raking in the money things will never change.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one simple way to solve this problem for once and all do what they did after the war and build lots of new homes for people to live in in my eyes forgeting the unemployed people anyone who is working full time even doing a low paid job should not need government assistence to beable to aford to rent a place to live and not a damp bug infested slum eather the only reason that rents are so high is to few houses problem solved but as long as the people who can aford to buy the buy to rent houses are raking in the money things will never change.

Ha ha ...and how do you feel about paying for them all?

Here's another simple way to solve the problem, immigration is the root of this problem via the EU, or wherever, apparently, so just send everyone home and we can see how well we get on without them! :D:D

yep thats my stance on it, we have a massive housing shortage, yet the cheaper end of the market, starter homes are allowed to be used as investments and providers of income by some who do not give a damn about the conditions their tenants live in.

Perhaps their is a case for cheaper local authority housing to be built again, but as someone who was brought up in a ("home for hero's") IE a prefab lets hope standards would be a bit better.

KW

Ha ha ...and how do you feel about paying for them all?

Here's another simple way to solve the problem, immigration is the root of this problem via the EU, or wherever, apparently, so just send everyone home and we can see how well we get on without them! :D:D

we were having a sensible debate for a change dont spoil it please.

KW

Edited by kdubya

yep thats my stance on it, we have a massive housing shortage, yet the cheaper end of the market, starter homes are allowed to be used as investments and providers of income by some who do not give a damn about the conditions their tenants live in.

Perhaps their is a case for cheaper local authority housing to be built again, but as someone who was brought up in a ("home for hero's") IE a prefab lets hope standards would be a bit better.

KW

we were having a sensible debate for a change dont spoil it please.

KW

Oh yeah, what is sensible about..................

There is one simple way to solve this problem for once and all do what they did after the war and build lots of new homes for people to live in...

This country is on it's knees, unemployment levels high, we have less working people paying for growing numbers of people on benefits already, standard of living down and many complaining how hard daily life is, and those are the ones working....so who is in a position to cough up for all these new homes?

Whilst you are building all these new homes how about demanding an increase from the Tooth Fairy as well...say £1000 a tooth and make sure there is a Range Rover in every drive as you hand over the new homes because they will obviously have to be out in the country, and these poor souls will be miles from civilisation, and keep your options open to build them extensions as their families grow!

Edited by Dekers

EU or not we will still accept substantial numbers of Immigrants from around the globe in the next 50 years because our benevolence as a

nation dictates that's what we do....

We could quite easily ostracise Europe and withdraw into our own insular existence and there are three schools of thought about the results of doing this which are not related to politics in some respect...

a. beneficial to the economy b. disastrous to the economy c. status quo

I know which group I am in and its not the aging rockers.

and for the record...I am not a Lib Dem disciple either.

The simple fact is we are still short of 1/4 of a million homes a year and projected figures suggest the majority of these will be driven by the requirements of British nationals already in residence.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

unless the rent came direct to me id never rent to a claimant you would have to be an idiot

That's why they have stopped taking DSS, they would rather the properties stay empty for longer, it's cheaper. It's a crazy system.

If he was seriously out of pocket he would not do it, so that one is out of the window,unless of course his second name is Claus,this may surprise you but I rented a property for a number of years,and believe me apart from once tenant I never had a problem,trouble was I used to worry that everything was OK for the tenant, I kept the house in a state I would like it to be if I had to live in it, unlike some of the properties we saw in the program, I gave it up when the area was redeveloped,and as for the statement its not immigration that's causing the prob, it sure as hell is not helping,especially after seeing that net migration was underestimated in 2011 by 350 thousand! that's the population of a decent size town, and all will need housing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26972597

KW

Oh he is KW, that's why he longer accepts DSS. Don't get me wrong, 2/3rds of his tenants are ok, it's the last 3rd that are the problem.

All his properties are let in god condition but most of them are on buy to let mortgages so the margins aren't huge.

EU or not we will still accept substantial numbers of Immigrants from around the globe in the next 50 years because our benevolence as a

nation dictates that's what we do....

Not true I'm afraid Mike.

Net immigration from non Eu countries has been falling quite dramatically. 25,000 fewer in 2013 alone.

Eu immigration was up by 60,000 in the same time.

The majority coming from the poorer Eu states.

The reason is quite simple. We can control immigration from non Eu countries, whereas our hands are tied when it comes to Eu migration.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration1/migration-statistics-quarterly-report/february-2014/index.html

Hands are tied but we must not make it so attractive. There is no doubt this is what brings them in from the poorer E/European countries. They know we are a soft touch and in relative terms any hardship they appear to suffer is, relative to where they originate, minor. We have enough of our own on benefits without overloading the system with immigrants.

Good to see Gov after the big tax dodgers - £35b allegedly 'owed' by those squirrelling dosh in tax havens. This would balance the books a bit as it does seem the poor are suffering most.

On tax dodgers more generally, here I've only ever been salaried so no chance of any dodges, there is a lot of 'cash' work going on - ive been offered ' save the VAT' several times by builders, painters, thatchers etc. this mst cost the Treasury a few £b's but how do you overcome this?

Hands are tied but we must not make it so attractive. There is no doubt this is what brings them in from the poorer E/European countries. They know we are a soft touch and in relative terms any hardship they appear to suffer is, relative to where they originate, minor. We have enough of our own on benefits without overloading the system with immigrants.

Good to see Gov after the big tax dodgers - £35b allegedly 'owed' by those squirrelling dosh in tax havens. This would balance the books a bit as it does seem the poor are suffering most.

On tax dodgers more generally, here I've only ever been salaried so no chance of any dodges, there is a lot of 'cash' work going on - ive been offered ' save the VAT' several times by builders, painters, thatchers etc. this mst cost the Treasury a few £b's but how do you overcome this?

oh you nasty man having ago at the self employed ,dont you know they believe its them that make the country what it is, and it is their god given right to pay as little tax as possible whilst still having a pop at those who are simply getting their entitlement (not going to argue if its right) ,so mind your manners.

KW

Edited by kdubya

You cut your coat according to your cloth and bring the size and cost of government and public expenditure generally in line with levels of taxation which are internationally competitive and which people are willing and able to pay, instead of fostering unrealistic expectations and buying votes with money you do not have.

Edited by Gimlet

they believe its them that make the country what it is, and it is their god given right to pay as little tax as possible whilst still having a pop at those who are simply getting their entitlement (not going to argue if its right)

You don't half trundle out the same old weary claptrap every single time don't you? I have a project for you, I'd like you to identify please this massive (alleged) amount of comments on this forum made by self-employed people who both gloat about their minimal tax footprint whilst at the same time claiming that nobody in the UK should receive benefits.

Perhaps you live in an incredibly small and narrow minded world, however you do know, don't you, that not everyone who is self-employed is some kind of cash in hand jobbing builder?

Tarring, as you inevitably do, every self-employed person with the same brush, would be akin to me suggesting repeatedly that everybody from Hartlepool is an imbecile. Equally ridiculous of course.

You don't half trundle out the same old weary claptrap every single time don't you? I have a project for you, I'd like you to identify please this massive (alleged) amount of comments on this forum made by self-employed people who both gloat about their minimal tax footprint whilst at the same time claiming that nobody in the UK should receive benefits.

Perhaps you live in an incredibly small and narrow minded world, however you do know, don't you, that not everyone who is self-employed is some kind of cash in hand jobbing builder?

Tarring, as you inevitably do, every self-employed person with the same brush, would be akin to me suggesting repeatedly that everybody from Hartlepool is an imbecile. Equally ridiculous of course.

nerve raw struck :lol: :lol: :lol:

KW

nerve raw struck :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well at least you've given away your motivation (as if that wasn't perfectly obvious to everyone here already). The only raw nerve you can strike with me is that of sympathy, like the kind one might have for an injured animal, for how much of a complete idiot you're making of yourself on this forum on a daily basis. It's quite funny really. There a few things funnier (and more tragic) than someone who believes themselves to be a lot cleverer than they actually are. Like precocious children for example.

Perhaps I ought to revisit my opinion about people from Hartlepool after all.

Right I'm off to do my tax return, I'm determined to get my income so low that I can also qualify for tax credits, and then pocket tons of cash that I ought to be paying the government. Happy days.

Not true I'm afraid Mike.

Net immigration from non Eu countries has been falling quite dramatically. 25,000 fewer in 2013 alone.

Eu immigration was up by 60,000 in the same time.

The majority coming from the poorer Eu states.

The reason is quite simple. We can control immigration from non Eu countries, whereas our hands are tied when it comes to Eu migration.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration1/migration-statistics-quarterly-report/february-2014/index.html

I was thinking in the main about countries like China, and India... and other non European countries who will expect us no doubt to take their excess populous in exchange for greater economic trade which will replace that lost by the withdrawal from the EU. If we want their money to rebalance our deficit then it would be very difficult not to grant their citizens immigration and resettlement rights.

This is why we should remain in the EU and foster stronger immigration rules.

Im sorry but its my opinion that withdrawal from the EU would prove to be catastrophic for british trade and employment.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Im sorry but its my opinion that withdrawal from the EU would prove to be catastrophic for british trade and employment.

We don't need to be in the EU to trade with it. No trade would be lost by our withdrawal, particularly when we run a trade deficit with the EU: we buy more form them than they buy from us.

If you don't believe me, try this:

http://www.iea.org.uk/publications/research/the-iea-brexit-prize-a-blueprint-for-britain-openness-not-isolation

Edited by Gimlet

We don't need to be in the EU to trade with it. No trade would be lost by our withdrawal, particularly when we run a trade deficit with the EU: we buy more form them than they buy from us.

If you don't believe me, try this:

http://www.iea.org.uk/publications/research/the-iea-brexit-prize-a-blueprint-for-britain-openness-not-isolation

Yes I appreciate this but will they still be willing to sell it if its just one way traffic

Perhaps I ought to revisit my opinion about people from Hartlepool after all.

You should, they are in the main honest hardworking people, who are generally not two faced about those receiving benefit,IE calling those who receive it, whilst equally "playing" the system themselves, and believe me if you work for yourself you DO :yes: I was close to the 45% tax bracket this year every bit taken at source,am I bitter at those on benefit ? am I hell, there but for the grace of god. .

KW

Yes I appreciate this but will they still be willing to sell it if its just one way traffic

Are you for real? Europe calls us treasure Island, as we pay inflated prices without quibble, so do you really think they wont sell us goods that we will pay more for compared to the "poor men of Europe , Spain Greece etc. oh and dont worry about exports, we make nowt to sell now :yes: thanks to the witch in your avatar.

KW

You should, they are in the main honest hardworking people, who are generally not two faced about those receiving benefit,IE calling those who receive it, whilst equally "playing" the system themselves, and believe me if you work for yourself you DO :yes: I was close to the 45% tax bracket this year every bit taken at source,am I bitter at those on benefit ? am I hell, there but for the grace of god. .

KW

The thing is, talking of raw nerves, you mention this apparent duality of 'tax dodging whilst slagging off those in receipt of benefits' all the time. If you've done it once you've done it a dozen times in the last few months. In fact you appear to try and crowbar it in whenever you can. That's what I've got a problem with.

Can you first accept a couple of things?

One. Firstly that there is a huge difference between those who live on benefits as a lifestyle as depicted by the people in these kind of television programs, versus the sort of people who are having a bit of a leg up from the state temporarily? I don't think it's unreasonable for any tax payer (at whatever level) to criticise a situation where people lead a feckless and pointless life funded by the state, whether it's "their fault" or not. Something is broken in the system, and you would be a fool to deny that.

Second. Yes there are tax breaks for those who are self-employed, however the majority of businesses (and employers) in this country are in fact SME's. If there wasn't any incentive to go into business - whether that be for lifestyle or profit - we might as well just be living in a Command Economy. In fact if there wasn't any incentive to start a business then the country would grind to a halt. On the subject of playing the system, it's not playing system at all, it's just working within the law as it currently stands, and I don't think it will change any time soon. Being overly critical of this smacks of envy to be perfectly honest with you. Would you like to start a business yourself, if you do, why don't you?

And, everything is a choice. It's a choice to work on a PAYE basis, just like it's a choice to be self-employed or run a business. Usually what it comes down to is a combination of one's skill sets, and one's attitude to risk. That's probably a matter for different debate but I don't think many business owners in the UK own their businesses specifically in order to fiddle their tax whilst at the same time taking every opportunity to slag off people who claim benefits.

The thing is, talking of raw nerves, you mention this apparent duality of 'tax dodging whilst slagging off those in receipt of benefits' all the time. If you've done it once you've done it a dozen times in the last few months. In fact you appear to try and crowbar it in whenever you can. That's what I've got a problem with.

Can you first accept a couple of things?

One. Firstly that there is a huge difference between those who live on benefits as a lifestyle as depicted by the people in these kind of television programs, versus the sort of people who are having a bit of a leg up from the state temporarily? I don't think it's unreasonable for any tax payer (at whatever level) to criticise a situation where people lead a feckless and pointless life funded by the state, whether it's "their fault" or not. Something is broken in the system, and you would be a fool to deny that.

Second. Yes there are tax breaks for those who are self-employed, however the majority of businesses (and employers) in this country are in fact SME's. If there wasn't any incentive to go into business - whether that be for lifestyle or profit - we might as well just be living in a Command Economy. In fact if there wasn't any incentive to start a business then the country would grind to a halt. On the subject of playing the system, it's not playing system at all, it's just working within the law as it currently stands, and I don't think it will change any time soon. Being overly critical of this smacks of envy to be perfectly honest with you. Would you like to start a business yourself, if you do, why don't you?

And, everything is a choice. It's a choice to work on a PAYE basis, just like it's a choice to be self-employed or run a business. Usually what it comes down to is a combination of one's skill sets, and one's attitude to risk. That's probably a matter for different debate but I don't think many business owners in the UK own their businesses specifically in order to fiddle their tax whilst at the same time taking every opportunity to slag off people who claim benefits.

Actually a very good repost that, one I appreciate and gives me food for thought, perhaps my generalistion is taken from a narrow band but its taken from genuine observation, of people I associate with, know well, or I have even done the odd job for, all used to brag (still do) about how little tax they pay % wise from their income compared to those on PAYE and yes they ALL consider the unemployed on benefit as "scuffers" a trait I observed on this forum.

KW

Actually a very good repost that, one I appreciate and gives me food for thought, perhaps my generalistion is taken from a narrow band but its taken from genuine observation, of people I associate with, know well, or I have even done the odd job for, all used to brag (still do) about how little tax they pay % wise from their income compared to those on PAYE and yes they ALL consider the unemployed on benefit as "scuffers" a trait I observed on this forum.

KW

Well, can't say fairer than that.