Good cartridge for clays.

Hi guys, a neewbie here. Anybody recommend me a good cartridge for clays please…

All the details i would need to tell the guy in the shop. Do you need to show your licence to buy them too?

I know this is probably very broad and boring but thanks in advanced.… :)

Hi James, sorry i forgot to mention i have a Beretta 686 12 gauge. Thanks for the link ill check it out now. Cheers

The cartridges come in boxes of 50 is that correct? How much you looking to pay on average for that cartage in the link? Cheers

I have in the last few months shot Cheddite 28g trap, Gamebore Velocity 28g, Hull CompX 24g's amongst others and they have all shot well. The CompX where the softest shooting the Superfast's the most thumpy. All managed to break clays when I can manage to point the shooty bit in the right direction ;)

At the end of the day most clay grounds have a reasonable selection of cartridges, so why not try a few random boxes till you find something that suits you and your wallet.

Price seems to depend a lot on where you are in the county, the irony of living in Hull is that the prices of both Hull and Gamebore cartridges aren't great locally ...

Not too much difference between fibre and plastic, plastic are meant to hold the pattern better over long ranges than fibre, but due to the litter most clay grounds don't allow plastic wads.

And i certainly don't like firing them when i am practicing clays on the farm, or shooting any game outside.

That cartridge only comes in 28 grams 7.5 unfortunately, gamebore do other cartridges if you need something different though.

James

I have in the last few months shot Cheddite 28g trap, Gamebore Velocity 28g, Hull CompX 24g's amongst others and they have all shot well. The CompX where the softest shooting the Superfast's the most thumpy. All managed to break clays when I can manage to point the shooty bit in the right direction ;)

At the end of the day most clay grounds have a reasonable selection of cartridges, so why not try a few random boxes till you find something that suits you and your wallet.

Price seems to depend a lot on where you are in the county, the irony of living in Hull is that the prices of both Hull and Gamebore cartridges aren't great locally ...

Sound advise mate, suppose boxes of 25 mean you can try a wide variety then chose the one that suits best. Cheers

Not too much difference between fibre and plastic, plastic are meant to hold the pattern better over long ranges than fibre, but due to the litter most clay grounds don't allow plastic wads.

And i certainly don't like firing them when i am practicing clays on the farm, or shooting any game outside.

That cartridge only comes in 28 grams 7.5 unfortunately, gamebore do other cartridges if you need something different though.

James

Thanks mate, Ill try the game bore velocity 28g 7.5 in fibre to start with. Hopefully going shooting on Saturday so let you know how i get on. Cheers

What sort of clays? To be honest the cheapest ones you get that go bang and lots of them I suggest 21g 8 for general shooting 9's for skeet and 7.5 for trap (24g perhaps) but buy 1000 and dont worry about the carts until you have finished shooting the lot, get through them in a month or 2, then you'll be well on your way, if your still shooting them next year it wont matter what you buy...

I see your in Chelmsford - pop in and see Alan or Jim at Eastern Sporting as their prices are good and you'll get sound advice - great shop. Alan also sells in lesser amounts at the 1000 rate so if you wanted to try a slab of 250 of a particular one you won't suffer price wise.

most grounds will in fact be plastic and unless you need to shoot fibres I would stick to plastic wads in 28 gram 7.5 or 8's.

For under or around the 160 mark you'll buy Eley firsts, Gamebore Velocities or Hull Comp X as an example of three popular ones.

If you can edge a little more to about 178 a thousand from Eastern I'd buy RC2's. I've gone through several thousand of these and they are hard hitting and not had a single problem. Superb shells IMO.

Other makes are available!!

I see your in Chelmsford - pop in and see Alan or Jim at Eastern Sporting as their prices are good and you'll get sound advice - great shop. Alan also sells in lesser amounts at the 1000 rate so if you wanted to try a slab of 250 of a particular one you won't suffer price wise.

most grounds will in fact be plastic and unless you need to shoot fibres I would stick to plastic wads in 28 gram 7.5 or 8's.

For under or around the 160 mark you'll buy Eley firsts, Gamebore Velocities or Hull Comp X as an example of three popular ones.

If you can edge a little more to about 178 a thousand from Eastern I'd buy RC2's. I've gone through several thousand of these and they are hard hitting and not had a single problem. Superb shells IMO.

Other makes are available!!

Rc2 are good, but like many foreign cartridges, the 7.5 are an English 7. Still fine to use on clays, mind you.