mach 2 owners

telf

getting the urge for something different,so am thinking about the above,i know everybody will say "it has no place" or "get a hmr"

i have had 2 hmrs and sold them both,just fancy the mach 2 possibly ?

have asked my rfd and ammo doesnt seem to be a problem,so, whats it like

is it as loud as the hmr

is it flat shooting to 100 yds

what distance to zero it

if i get one it will be a sako quad varmint synthetic,any thoughts,info

cheers dave

I've never tried a Mach 2 myself. A friend of mine in the USA uses one to shoot vermin with excellent results. Have you also thought about a .22 Hornet? I've recently bought one and I'm impressed with it.

If you take what the mach can do and what a .22 Hornet can do its brings into question the HMR's viability (to any who will home load the hornet). As for its discontinuation I should check with the guys on Rimfirecentral forum on that one, uk gunsmiths can be a less than reliable source of info on such matters

The way I see it on paper is the mach does the flat shooting to 100 yards thing the same as the HMR and the more powerful hmr starts to get unpredictable the more you get past that mark on wind and terminals. The HMR never reached it promise of a truly viable 200 yard gun

getting the urge for something different,so am thinking about the above,i know everybody will say "it has no place" or "get a hmr"

i have had 2 hmrs and sold them both,just fancy the mach 2 possibly ?

have asked my rfd and ammo doesnt seem to be a problem,so, whats it like

is it as loud as the hmr

is it flat shooting to 100 yds

what distance to zero it

if i get one it will be a sako quad varmint synthetic,any thoughts,info

cheers dave

no but that depends on your mod (like for like it is less noisy)

very flat and argueably more accurate (i have the quad and the HMR barrel for direct comparison)

I zero at 80yds (removes the need to hold under to be dead on at 50yds) - shoot to 150 with a 5" drop at 150

quad is well made but I prefer the walnut

I have a syth "beater" in .22lr though

I've never tried a Mach 2 myself. A friend of mine in the USA uses one to shoot vermin with excellent results. Have you also thought about a .22 Hornet? I've recently bought one and I'm impressed with it.

thought about the hornet,but a bit much for bunnies, and the keeper does the foxes

Alan at Bagnall & Kirkwood was saying just the other that mach 2 ammo was being fazed out ? i would give him a call to double check first Telf

spoke to alan,said getting it shouldnt be a problem now

no but that depends on your mod (like for like it is less noisy)

very flat and argueably more accurate (i have the quad and the HMR barrel for direct comparison)

I zero at 80yds (removes the need to hold under to be dead on at 50yds) - shoot to 150 with a 5" drop at 150

quad is well made but I prefer the walnut

I have a syth "beater" in .22lr though

thats all very good to hear

im getting more impressed as the thread goes on

Edited by telf

Hi all just recently got a mach two myself i too asked the same questions on here and got some very good advise an some not so good but in the end i liked what i had read on the net and that so i managed to get myself a marlin 917 vls secondhand in mint condition stuck a sak mod on it and it also came with 500 rounds of eley ammo and ime more than impressed with it not as noisy as the hmr flat to a hundred yrd an can do one hole groups at 75 yards no problem ive only been out with it twice as not had it long but both times out with it it has downed my chosen quarry with ease the ammo is around a five to eight pounds for fifty i no a place that has thousands of rounds in stock as i contacted ammo supplyers before i bought the rifle so no worrys there ammo wise bought mine for shooting corvids with will b out more through the summer at them as at the mo am buisy with the foxes with the 22.250 cf due to the start of the lambing on my farms up in the hills my advice on the mach two is get one ime glad i did good little round that in my opinion does what it says on the tin cheers and hope this helps

telf,

The .22 Hornet isn't honestly too much for bunnies if you mean carcass damage. You really need to head shoot them though if your on full power hand loads and don't use very high frangibility bullets but frontal on head shots will not generally to more than bust the head open. By full power handloads I mean 2800 - 3900 fps, many factory rounds produce 2500-2600 and it makes a difference to run them at this speed if you want less destruction to the head.

I can confidently shoot bunnies at 20-30 yards and have something worth picking up or out to 200 or so. 45 grn sierra Hornet bullets at 2800-2900 fps

Hi all just recently got a mach two myself i too asked the same questions on here and got some very good advise an some not so good but in the end i liked what i had read on the net and that so i managed to get myself a marlin 917 vls secondhand in mint condition stuck a sak mod on it and it also came with 500 rounds of eley ammo and ime more than impressed with it not as noisy as the hmr flat to a hundred yrd an can do one hole groups at 75 yards no problem ive only been out with it twice as not had it long but both times out with it it has downed my chosen quarry with ease the ammo is around a five to eight pounds for fifty i no a place that has thousands of rounds in stock as i contacted ammo supplyers before i bought the rifle so no worrys there ammo wise bought mine for shooting corvids with will b out more through the summer at them as at the mo am buisy with the foxes with the 22.250 cf due to the start of the lambing on my farms up in the hills my advice on the mach two is get one ime glad i did good little round that in my opinion does what it says on the tin cheers and hope this helps

cheers,i am starting to feel more and more drawn to it

telf,

The .22 Hornet isn't honestly too much for bunnies if you mean carcass damage. You really need to head shoot them though if your on full power hand loads and don't use very high frangibility bullets but frontal on head shots will not generally to more than bust the head open. By full power handloads I mean 2800 - 3900 fps, many factory rounds produce 2500-2600 and it makes a difference to run them at this speed if you want less destruction to the head.

I can confidently shoot bunnies at 20-30 yards and have something worth picking up or out to 200 or so. 45 grn sierra Hornet bullets at 2800-2900 fps

thanks kent,i wouldnt be reloading just factory ammo,but then the cost goes up again as hornet ammo is more expensive,if i had the foxes to go at i would seriously think about it

That's damn near half the price of hmr.[/

says it could be as much as 180 next time.hmr prob rise tooquote]

there must be an increase on prices on the way,probably for everything

the plot thickens,have just been to rfd and asked one of the assistants about said ammo who said that since eley have stopped making it they were waiting 2 months for hornady to supply some,and they only sent 1000 which was taken immediately,however he also said, as we know everything is going to USA first, and that the main importer were waiting on a large delivery coming in which would tie into what the manager had told me earlier in the week, but he didnt fill me with confidence about the production of the round carrying on

however if i were to get one as i said it would be a sako quad so i could always purchase another barrel in a different calibre,which i would apply for on the variation with the mach 2,and also possibly the hornet,which should cover me for all fields then,but as tweedledee said he e-mail;ed them and all seems ok,possibly just hard to get hold of