Stock torque

Foxwit

Is it really essential to buy a torque screwdriver to ensure the right amount is applied when putting the stock back on my tikka t3 in .223? Only took it off as was out in the rain and did it back up nipping it in tight but without excessive pressure.

Good question as I'm thinking of getting one myself for tightening the stock bolt of my lad's Browning shotgun - albeit not something I do very often. It decided to come loose last year in a competition and I'm unsure of just how tight to make it - too tight and I could crack the stock and too loose and it could also crack with recoil or come loose again at an inopportune time. ;)

In reality without pillar bedding the setting will alter with climatic conditions (this might be no small amount on a wood stock) think sticking wooden doors and windows.

If torque significantly changes the guns accuracy or return to zero you have a bedding issue

Third eye tactical sell one, a premium German Wiha unit.

http://thirdeyetactical.com/precision-torque-driver.html

Glenshooter - avoid the cheap ones like Draper. Get a decent second-hand one. I picked up a Torqueleader torque reader - dial type - for £5 at a car boot - to go with the rest I don't use. Too cheap to walk past.

Thank you Gentlemen. ;)

Glenshooter - I have torque wrenches going up to more than £300 a throw, but I am reliably informed that the most accurate are the beam - bend bar type. I saw a very nice one on Ebay - 1/4" drive - made in USA - went for £4 - should have bought it.

I go to a fair number of car boot sales and see them almost every week.

Glenshooter - I have torque wrenches going up to more than £300 a throw, but I am reliably informed that the most accurate are the beam - bend bar type. I saw a very nice one on Ebay - 1/4" drive - made in USA - went for £4 - should have bought it.

I go to a fair number of car boot sales and see them almost every week.

Thanks again. The only time I've ever really 'needed' one was tightening the stock bold on a shotgun - knowing there are risks both ways of not getting it right! May have a beam/bend bar lurking somewhere in the garage...........

Think that's wrong? get on with it, wood and oils, grease (which is a thicker oil) and solvents don't mix. Cracked stocks and soggy bedding areas always results in time

I agree but let people get on with it.

Oh if your stock cracks I'm very reasonably priced to restock rifles as well as shotguns.