Merkel 201E - Has anyone used one?

theshootist

As above really. I have seen a number of these guns at auction over the last few years. I have only picked a few up and have never fired one. They look and feel like they are built to last, "like tanks" is an appropriate description. They obviously have a very Germanic / Central European style to them. Most have shorter barrels than are popular today as clay guns, they are hunting guns.

What strikes me is that the quality seems very high for the price these go second hand.

Has anyone got one or have any opinions on them? I would be interested to hear.

Take a look.. http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21657/lot/165/

I had a Merkel striaght sock double trigger should never have sold it shot thousands rounds throuh it no issues.Not a high grade one but nice

Isues ejectors not very big if you heavy handed you can push cartridges past them.This usually happens if you let some one have a go

Ordered new ejectors from importer Viking Arms 10 years ago still waiting chased them many times local gunsmith fixed it for me ok till I sold it wary of Viking since

Guns good quality well made in my opinion

I had a Merkel striaght sock double trigger should never have sold it shot thousands rounds throuh it no issues.Not a high grade one but nice

Isues ejectors not very big if you heavy handed you can push cartridges past them.This usually happens if you let some one have a go

Ordered new ejectors from importer Viking Arms 10 years ago still waiting chased them many times local gunsmith fixed it for me ok till I sold it wary of Viking since

Guns good quality well made in my opinion

:stupid:

It's more usual to find these with two triggers than a single. I only sold mine to buy a Churchill. With the double trigger the shorter barrel versions which are quite common make a superb hide gun.

Mekel's are OK but old-fashioned game guns . Single triggers can be a problem especially if you don't like heavy pulls , other wise they are prone to double discharge . They changed the extractors some time back so there were no replacements so Muffin you were not the only one to have had along wait with no successful outcome . The one they did supply took a lot of fitting .

After the reunification of Germany the factory underwent many changes and I am reliably informed that as there a new range of guns there are no spares available from the factory for many of the older guns .

Muffin , not to be pedantic but a double with shotgun/ rifle is a combination gun ,Drilling is a double with a rifle barrel underneath ,German for triplet .

Interesting thought on parts availability - I had not considered that. I just like the idea of a fairly short barrelled OU built to last a lifetime at a price that you could only buy a much lesser gun new. I also like the idea of a straight stock OU. No idea why but it does appeal!

Its only the extractors that are a problem should you be unfortunate enough to need them as they are a complicated piece to reproduce , very rare that you do and I have only once had to do so . All else can be made without too much hassle .

I have owned and shot Merkels for years, spares can be an issue but I have found them reliable and robust guns, remember Merkel are based in Suhl Germany which fell on the Eastern side of the wall, some of the early post war guns were very plain as supplies were short, try and find the ones marked Gerburuder Merkel Suhl or Gerbr. Merkel Germany. There were plenty about stamped with the German democratic republic GDR I dont think that there would be a problem with them I just like the older pre war models.

They are good solid guns that will last you years.

All the best.Tim

Guest cookoff013

I have owned and shot Merkels for years, spares can be an issue but I have found them reliable and robust guns, remember Merkel are based in Suhl Germany which fell on the Eastern side of the wall, some of the early post war guns were very plain as supplies were short, try and find the ones marked Gerburuder Merkel Suhl or Gerbr. Merkel Germany. There were plenty about stamped with the German democratic republic GDR I dont think that there would be a problem with them I just like the older pre war models.

They are good solid guns that will last you years.

All the best.Tim

+1

i`m a real big fan of merkels, most guns around that region are based on that patended chasis, anson deely boxlock, double underlug, kersten style crossbolt, both the sxs and the o/u have the same style lockup but obvious different due to barrel orientation. i bought my 40E ages ago and its still mint (its a sleeper) but i give it a good airing now and again.

the action is a piece of work and it locks up like a vault. they are not popular because they are german, but are sold under the simpson name.

the thing with merkels they are fixed choke, and usually way overchoked to what it is stamped with. the patterns the barrels produce are just beautiful,

the multi chokes have just started to appear on the sport models and have adopted the briley thin wall chokes.

http://www.briley.com/brileythinwallflushchoke-3.aspx

i`m pleased with my merkel, i have adopted to reload exclusively for it and / or shooting subsonics, thats where most of my subs get put through anyway. these sxs are so light that it is uncomfortable to shoot silly speeds, (not nessasary small loads either) thats why i started doing subs in the first place. these lighter game guns were never ever intended to shoot the fastest loads.

i would have no hesitation to buy another. i did have one problem with a forend spring snapping, then the rfd threw my forend in the bin, then telling me to "(f) go away" when i wanted it back because he lost it.

I have 2 x Merkels, 203E and 303E. Both 28" barrels, 303 a single trigger, 203 double. Well built, lovely handling guns BUT both had to go through UK gunsmiths to get decent trigger pulls (factory set to about 8 lbs - 10 lbs plus). Unfortunately, UK support near non existent. Not sure if this is UK end, or German end, but who cares? Ultimately, its no good whoever is at fault. Parts (spring) took nearly a year to arrive, and ultimately, could have been specially made in the UK much quicker for the price charged.

Shame, as they are a great gun, basically beautifully made and balanced, but poor trigger set up seems standard - as, it seems does lack of timely support. My 303 spent nearly a year away in the end (triggers getting sorted), and the 203 I had done by a UK gunsmith. Merkels generally considered as 'good value' used.