dog barking

foxnet22

Once again I turn to the members for advise as in the past it always comes up trumps...I have a problem with a neighbours dog that barks all morning.not good when ive been on nights..she locks this dog in its run and goes out all day.any advise on where I stand on this..ive put a formal complaint in to my housing officer bt she says all she can do is pay a visit to the neighbour in question..im I in my right to jst stop paying my rent until this matter is dealt with ?no sleep ,no work ,no money means no rent.thanks for all replys.

we are in a similar position next doors dogs never shut up day or night, housing won't do anything.

With regards to not paying rent that won't work as they will say you are in breach of your tenancy we tried it with them when they wouldn't do some repairs on the house and kindly got letters off their legal department for our troubles.

Unless you have an itemised rent bill that has an entry saying "Fee to keep neighbours quiet" then you paying or not your rent is irrelevant and will only get you in trouble if you don't. Speak to the environmental health team of the council who will either monitor your property themselves or ask you to fill in a 'noise diary'. Once there is enough 'evidence' then action may be taken.

If you wanted to be naughty you could report the dog owner to the RSPCA if you think it being outside all day long is cruel but personally i'd not want anything to do with those particular clowns.

Edited by Breastman

not sure exactly where you stand, but your landlord has a duty of care to you and you have a right to a peacefull and stress free accomodation. Go and see your citizens advice, its free (and good) legal advice.

I imagine you would be well within your rights to claim compensation for stress etc from the landlord. Its funny how things get done when you remind them of this.(especially as the courts almost always favour the, poor hard done by tenant, over the landlords.

If your neighbour has the same landlord/HA as you, then the Housing Officer is lying! If one of their tenants are being disruptive to other residents they issue warnings and then evict them, simple as that.(is any other neighbour affected by it? more complaints the better!)

Ps Keep a diary log of every occasion you are affected by next door.(not just dog noise)

Edited by silver pigeon69

Had the same problem last year,from 08.20 til 17.30 the house was rented, i spoke to the rental managers, didnt want to know, i was polite and asked if they could have a word. So as there was no joy there and not able to be amicable with the dogs owners i got the council involved, time and dates of the dogs barking were kept for around a week or so, then posted off to the council, they then send a letter to the owners of the dogs and give them a fair amount of information as to why the dogs may be barking, the nuisance it may cause to people and then basicly what the next steps are that may be taken.

If the noise persists then the council will place a recorder in you property for you to record the amount of noise and the level. Again a letter is sent to the dog owners explaining in more detail what steps will be taken, this is telling them to either sort it or the next action will be proceding for court action. If nothing has been done then the next stage is the council will come to your house (2 of them as it needs 2 for court action) if they need to they will stop all day, once they consider it to be a nuisance they will then issue permission for you to shoot the dogs. Or is it something else i cant remember.

Its a long process but they only one if you have no joy talking to the dogs owners.

Oh! by the way you must prove its causing you distress, like not being able to hear the TV or cant read a book because of the noise, or as you work night un able to sleep.

Get in touch with the local council .

I had the same problem a few years ago , the woman next door kept two dashunds locked indoors all day and they howled the house down for hours at a time.

The council sent her a lettersaying they would take action if it persists , they also said they would fit sound recording equipment to my house , the day before they did that she moved out :yahoo:

You do not need a council house to involve the council , mine and next doors are private.

If you wanted to be naughty you could report the dog owner to the RSPCA if you think it being outside all day long is cruel but personally i'd not want anything to do with those particular clowns.

Would bother doing that, if its fed and watered its good enough, they will or cant do any thing about them barking.

We had the police knocking on the doors of the lane asking if we knew who had been throwing veg and stuff at the dogs, so i assumed i wasnt the only one fed off with the barking then.

Edited by Dougy

Knock on the door and tell m shut the dog up or you will report her, normally works has done for me but my neigbour has twins age 15 and they were hard work for 2 years ,I have 4 dogs and never leave them bark only time they bark if someone is knocking on the door

Had the same problem last year,from 08.20 til 17.30 the house was rented, i spoke to the rental managers, didnt want to know, i was polite and asked if they could have a word. So as there was no joy there and not able to be amicable with the dogs owners i got the council involved, time and dates of the dogs barking were kept for around a week or so, then posted off to the council, they then send a letter to the owners of the dogs and give them a fair amount of information as to why the dogs may be barking, the nuisance it may cause to people and then basicly what the next steps are that may be taken.

If the noise persists then the council will place a recorder in you property for you to record the amount of noise and the level. Again a letter is sent to the dog owners explaining in more detail what steps will be taken, this is telling them to either sort it or the next action will be proceding for court action. If nothing has been done then the next stage is the council will come to your house (2 of them as it needs 2 for court action) if they need to they will stop all day, once they consider it to be a nuisance they will then issue permission for you to shoot the dogs. Or is it something else i cant remember.

Its a long process but they only one if you have no joy talking to the dogs owners.

Oh! by the way you must prove its causing you distress, like not being able to hear the TV or cant read a book because of the noise, or as you work night un able to sleep.

I would have to disagree with the last bit , if the noise is stopping you enjoying your normal activities then it is classed as a nuscience and it does not matter at what time of the day it is occuring

Not being able to sleep , watch TV etc is exactly the issues I was having and the council were prepared to take action.

Edited by fenboy

I would have to disagree with the last bit , if the noise is stopping you enjoying your normal activities then it is classed as a nuscience and it does not matter at what time of the day it is occuring

Not being able to sleep , watch TV etc is exactly the issues I was having and the council were prepared to take action.

You agree with what i said then not disagree :good:

You just cant complain that dogs are barking end of, dogs bark... But you must give reason why its a problem. you dont have a case just because a dog barks, it must be proven to be a nuisance. :good:

You agree with what i said then not disagree :good:

You just cant complain that dogs are barking end of, dogs bark... But you must give reason why its a problem. you dont have a case just because a dog barks, it must be proven to be a nuisance. :good:

Yes my apologies I mis read that last piece :blush: