French spend £12 billion on new trains - then find out they're too

chrisjpainter

To be fair, I would have expected this from Network Rail. :lol:

We have a rail infrastructure with silly narrow rails and area stuck with it!

Look, we invented the whole rail concept, and it's a measure of the respect for British tradition that we are still using Stephenson's original gauge, based on cart wagonways, (apart from Brunel's short-lived GWR abberation).

Update - that'll take another 200 years!

That is just the sort of thing that we are good at I did like what this guy said.

Transport Minister Frederic Cuvillier blamed an "absurd rail system" for the problems.

"When you separate the rail operator from the train company," he said, "this is what happens."

If they can mess it up with just two companies with all that we have I am shore that we could mess it up better than them.

In fact the problem is they built the new trains to fit in the modern stations not realizing that the old platforms are closer to the lines so they now have to knock two or three inches off the side of about 1000 station platforms. :lol:

Just heard that, in my mind there was a whole shindig with all the great and good at a platform waiting for the new train to arrive and then it came scraping and folding up the platform.

Good to see someone elses infrastructure is so badly thought out - remember our tilting trains that couldnt tilt?

They did tilt, trouble is they also froze up and when they were running properly some silly swines were seasick on them!

They are now using tilting trains again on the West Coast Main, the Pendolinos, the development of which was sped up after Fiat bought the bogie system from the APT train!!!

Edited by secretagentmole