this morning's muntjac

sterling

I peeled back the curtains at 6.30am to find a dry morning already in full swing and as I was heading out to survey some young coppice, I grabbed the .243 which in the absence of a deer fence, is good medicine for the greedy blighters. So by 7.30 I was neck deep in nettles and wishing I'd brought a brushcutter instead of a rifle. Less than 20 minutes had passed though before I spotted a young muntjac buck browsing along a ride just 60 yards or so downhill to my left.

A standing free-hand shot is something I rarely use when stalking but I was confident to put the home-loaded sierra varminter where it needed to go from this short range. Once I've used all of these 85gr spitzers though, I'll be looking for a harder bullet as they are just too violent on an animal that compares more to a hare than a typical deer in size. I can't help thinking that a .357 lever gun would be perfect for woodland muntjac stalking. :hmm:

jl57xj.jpg

So with "work" finished by lunchtime and a dinner party tomorrow, he's already jointed and it's time to put my feet up for a long weekend. Even though I've given the front end away, you can see from this picture that you don't get an awful lot from these diminutive deer. They still make for challenging stalking, easy carrying and good eating though. :yes:

2cnd2fq.jpg

Nice shooting and good write up mate,

Stalkers breakfast?

I'm just finishing of the last of a roe deer, note to self need to make another trip out stalking,

Ps, get the 357 you know it's needed ha ha

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

Very nice and yes a 357 would be plenty.....it would be plenty for most things in Britain but to many experts got involved in the law making!

I remember talking to an old Gent, long gone now :sad1: He told me that before the deer act he used an old levergun in 44-40 for all deer in Britain and said it was ample!

There is a lot to be said for a handy rifle with out the phaffing of sticks and moderator, rarely more than 20grains of powder burning in stead of 40+.

Nice munti :good:

Very nice and yes a 357 would be plenty.....it would be plenty for most things in Britain but to many experts got involved in the law making!

I remember talking to an old Gent, long gone now :sad1: He told me that before the deer act he used an old levergun in 44-40 for all deer in Britain and said it was ample!

There is a lot to be said for a handy rifle with out the phaffing of sticks and moderator, rarely more than 20grains of powder burning in stead of 40+.

Nice munti :good:

I might send a .357 ballistic table to the FEO showing that it easily makes 1000ftlbs from a carbine and see what he thinks. Sounds like your old boy with his 44-40 knew that energy is no substitute for straight shooting though. :)

I might send a .357 ballistic table to the FEO showing that it easily makes 1000ftlbs from a carbine and see what he thinks. Sounds like your old boy with his 44-40 knew that energy is no substitute for straight shooting though. :)

I have shot whitetail deer in the USA with a .44 magnum pistol at ranges up to 80 yards . The .44 magnum drops them on spot . The .357 magnum and the .44 magnum are excellent rounds for deer and antelope . Both rounds are very popular in the states for the handgun season . They are both used as back up when hunting black bears and grizzly bears .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

I have shot whitetail deer in the USA with a .44 magnum pistol at ranges up to 80 yards . The .44 magnum drops them on spot . The .357 magnum and the .44 magnum are excellent rounds for deer and antelope . Both rounds are very popular in the states for the handgun season .

Harnser

Before the ban and my last visit to the range a friend had his M29 in 44M with some Hogue grips and a 6" barrel, shooting near top end loads I could bounce tiny pebbles around at 25yds!

If I could hunt with a good 6-7" revolver I would, it would be a great way for a pot hunter like me. 32-20, 357, 41M and 44M, even 45LC. Nice underarm break forward leather rig and for cold weather a cross draw on a belt with flap, bino's and game bag....lets go :)

Stupid country :no:

Before the ban and my last visit to the range a friend had his M29 in 44M with some Hogue grips and a 6" barrel, shooting near top end loads I could bounce tiny pebbles around at 25yds!

If I could hunt with a good 6-7" revolver I would, it would be a great way for a pot hunter like me. 32-20, 357, 41M and 44M, even 45LC. Nice underarm break forward leather rig and for cold weather a cross draw on a belt with flap, bino's and game bag....lets go :)

Have I slipped into an alternative dimension, is this a new language I have to learn, I was thinking of going for my FAC but dont know if I can cope with this new language. LOL :lol::lol:

Just love to join you . Both my .357 magnum revolver and my .44 magnum revolver used to fit in my quick draw competition holster and it would have been an ideal holster for out in the field as the pistol had be drawn in a specific way to get it out of the holster . You remember the type , A peg that went into the barrel and a clip that the guns cylinder latched into . No front on the holster ,you had to lift the pistol off the peg and flip the barrel forwards to detach the gun from the holster . In practiced hands it could be very ,very quick . But alas we can only reminisce .

Harnser

Harnser

Have I slipped into an alternative dimension, is this a new language I have to learn, I was thinking of going for my FAC but dont know if I can cope with this new language. LOL :lol::lol:

:) The beauty of pastimes like shooting is that the pool is as deep or as shallow as you want it to be. No need to jump in at the deep end, just learn enough of the firearms law to stay safe and let the finer details of guns, ammo, fieldcraft and cooking develop with time. Remember there's more than one way to skin a cat, and about 500 ways to shoot it. :lol:

:) The beauty of pastimes like shooting is that the pool is as deep or as shallow as you want it to be. No need to jump in at the deep end, just learn enough of the firearms law to stay safe and let the finer details of guns, ammo, fieldcraft and cooking develop with time. Remember there's more than one way to skin a cat, and about 500 ways to shoot it. :lol:

:lol::good: