Holiday Booking Con?

sitsinhedges

Over the weekend I've been looking to book a holiday.

I was using sunsave.com but after choosing a flight and hotel I came to pay and the package came to a couple of hundred quid more than the figure stated on the website.

Their agent said it was because the website was not 'live' and so the prices were not up to the minute.

Sounds like a con to me. How can you get a quote for a product that has no basis in reality and then get charged hundreds more when you come to complete the purchase?

The difference wasn't just extras such as luggage allowance etc, it was a completely different price for the product which due to it being a last minute type booking should be

cheaper if anything.

Is it just me?

At this time of year it is difficult as holidays are being snapped up as you sit in the travel agents trying to make up your mind. We now book up online well in advance. It is very difficult to ascertain if the price has been inflated or if it has changed. If it is just for one or two people then you can be a lot more flexible as to where you go. It can sometimes be better to book direct with the hotel and arrange the transport privately by taxi but it is a lot of hassle and risk. Paphos was ok. The mosaics there were quite spectacular and it was very hot but the beaches were rock or stony. We were in Protaras but had a car for several days and drove all over the island. Ghost city of Famagusta was odd and we went up to the Turkish north of the island and to Girne (Kyrenia) Nice little bakery under the flyover in Limassol. Not my favourite holiday island.

the wife does ours protaras,go most years but need to do it like the stock market we have noticed prices go up and down, think they sell a % to cover costs then its up to maximum profit, then it alters up/down depending on demand towards departure date. hope you get sorted

yeh if you look at a holiday on teletext holidays website ,but dont book next time you look its gone up.theres a computer prog recognises your ip address and each time you visit will price jack till you book .weve had it with several holidays .weve also had them tell us 300 quid more than the on screen price on paying,just say no thats a rip off and hang up.worked for us we got the online price for rhodes after attempted rip off they rang back waffling and charged us the internet price.

yeh if you look at a holiday on teletext holidays website ,but dont book next time you look its gone up.theres a computer prog recognises your ip address and each time you visit will price jack till you book .weve had it with several holidays .weve also had them tell us 300 quid more than the on screen price on paying,just say no thats a rip off and hang up.worked for us we got the online price for rhodes after attempted rip off they rang back waffling and charged us the internet price.

Or just clear your cookies.......

im not sure about hotels but with flights the airlines have to land a minimum amount of people to get the airport to keep the slot available for them to land in, so they sell the flights for peanuts until they hit the target number then hike the prices up to the max , might be similar for some travel agents

raphael262, on 26 May 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:raphael262, on 26 May 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

Is It a family holiday ?

If not take your guns ! I went shooting last year in Cyprus was amazing !

When we out there I asked if there were any clay grounds in the area (Protaras) and no one knew of anything in the area. I drove all over the island and never saw any gun or sporting goods shops anywhere. If I had thought about it I perhaps could have done some research before we went but it was a kind of on the spur of the moment idea. Anyway all I saw were a few sort of toy guns in a shop and that was as near as the real thing that I saw. When I got back a member on here (If I recollect) said that there was a clay ground near Paralimni which is just up the road from Protaras. I asked about Gunshops when I was out in Turkey (Side) and everyone thought that I was some sort of urban terrorist. When I got them to understand that it was sporting shooting that I was interested in then a lad at the hotel said that there were a couple of Gunshops in Manavgat which is a nearby town. Off I went with hand drawn map and found them. Although they didn't speak English we managed to have a bit of gun speak. They had a lot of heavies in stock which I think they used on deer and boar although being Muslim I think they didn't shoot them much (Pig)

I’ve tried to find out about any shooting in Crete where I am going soon and again there is very little information available.

Edited by fortune