Beating dogs still in fasion then?

hedd-wyn

You should look at that vid again at no point does this dog shown discomfort, and am sure the handler in question would run rings round most people on this forum, o and watch the dogs tail was it wagging or not.

Weekend trainers are exactly that and end up teaching there dogs bad habits and then turn to guys in the vid to help correct there ****-ups, I take it you are a full time trainer.

so can you beat a dog if it doesn't yelp? Dog wasn't wagging its tail when he had it by the ears or smacking its ar?! On the deck! Didn't look like much of a trainer to me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in your haste you missed something?

Firstly I'm not your mate you are probably young enough to be a child of mine as you get older you will find the man in your self in the mean time keep looking it could be a long time coming you wise owl you.

A famous cocker trainer once told me something about dogs and people that went like this you cant polish a **** but you can roll it in glitter.

Regards.

Firstly I'm not your mate you are probably young enough to be a child of mine as you get older you will find the man in your self in the mean time keep looking it could be a long time coming you wise owl you.

A famous cocker trainer once told me something about dogs and people that went like this you cant polish a **** but you can roll it in glitter.

Regards.

I take insult to that. I neither condone nor practice such things and would just like to make that totally clear.

Instead of listening to what others tell you, you want to get out and train a few dogs on a daily basis like I do then make your own mind up on things :whistling:

Edited by Bazooka

I take insult to that. I neither condone nor practice such things and would just like to make that totally clear.

Instead of listening to what others tell you, you want to get out and train a few dogs on a daily basis like I do then make your own mind up on things :whistling:

I did not mean to insult, and I get out with more than a few dogs my trophy cabinet is testimony to that anyway happy training.

I am sorry to offend you and mean no harm but all dogs have a different way in which they need training as I've seen in the trail world would make your hair curl.

You should look at that vid again at no point does this dog shown discomfort, and am sure the handler in question would run rings round most people on this forum, o and watch the dogs tail was it wagging or not.

Weekend trainers are exactly that and end up teaching there dogs bad habits and then turn to guys in the vid to help correct there ****-ups, I take it you are a full time trainer.

A dog wagging its tail is not a foolproof sign it is happy. It can mean many different things.

Picking the dog up by its ears is not the done thing, apart from that his methods are similar to most trainers.

All dogs are different, the dog he was training was a bit sticky, so imo the trainer needed to step back a little and make more of a fuss of the dog when it did well.

A kind word can some times give back more than a quick slap on the bum, but some times a quick slap is necessary.

A lot on here seem to talk the talk, but can you train a dog with out giving it a quick slap or scruff?

Edited by Actionpigeons

The dog was sticky. It showed signs of not being sure whether it was actually doing what the trainer wanted or not. In that situation I think it's unfair to correct the dog physically. The dog was only doing what it thought the trainer was looking for and what it had been previously trained to do. When it was pottering around in front of him jumping up and showing willing that was not the dog saying " train me, train me" it was the dog saying ' what the **** is it you are wanting me to do and I'll do it'

I do scruff. It normally happens when I'm trying to regain a dogs concentration on me rather than something else it finds temporarily more attractive, like another dog or cow ****. Never when I think the dog is in full cooperation but just getting the task a little bit wrong.

Picking the dog up by its ears is not the done thing, apart from that his methods are similar to most trainers.

All dogs are different, the dog he was training was a bit sticky, so imo the trainer needed to step back a little and make more of a fuss of the dog when it did well.

A kind word can some times give back more than a quick slap on the bum, but some times a quick slap is necessary.

A lot on here seem to talk the talk, but can you train a dog with out giving it a quick slap or scruff?

+1 I have had some difficult stubborn dogs over the years, however pulling the dogs by its ears like this is just showing the guys frustration and that he has no other method to train the dog.

A dog wagging its tail is not a foolproof sign it is happy. It can mean many different things.

+1 the dog would have wagged his tail even if he had beaten the **** out of it because the dog always wants to please the trainer.

Thought so,the guy you train with is a very good mate of mine.

Rick.

Hi rick

is it JG for dogs or are you talking about the gym training.

Thanks

Neil

JG...known him for years.

Rick.

I cannot thank him enough for what he has done for me.

if he looked at this post i know he would not be happy.

I am hoping for one of his dogs to cover my bitch in july.

I know his son very well and see him most days

ATB

Neil

AN APOLOGY FROM ME

Today I was placed on the naughty step for an hour or so due to a couple of members reporting me for bad language. The words were abrieviated as thought this would be enough. Sorry, I was wrong. Bad, bad man. Coincidentally they were both members that I had disagreed with during this thread and again I would just like to say a big sorry if I offended them by speaking my mind and in doing so leaving them looking like mellons. It was not my intention.

Surely healthy debate is good?

Again, sorry if anyone was harmed or offended by my opinions.

And your right but he corrected the dog by replacing it , the dog wasn't in discomfort and that's acceptable

I certainly would condem anyone lifting a dog by it's ears but the scruff wouldn't hurt but give the dog a jolt as if a reprand from it's mother

Sorry for disagreeing over this, I meant no harm by it. of course you are right and I was wrong. The dog jolted would also cause no discomfort so again I agree I was wrong.

No hard feelings. Sorry.

I think you may be overestimating how much attention is being paid to you if you think anybody would bother reporting it to get you "on the naughty step".

Nobody reported the swearing, it was seen by a moderator who was reading the thread, so stop trying to score points and lets all try to grow up a bit eh.

The dog was sticky. It showed signs of not being sure whether it was actually doing what the trainer wanted or not. In that situation I think it's unfair to correct the dog physically. The dog was only doing what it thought the trainer was looking for and what it had been previously trained to do. When it was pottering around in front of him jumping up and showing willing that was not the dog saying " train me, train me" it was the dog saying ' what the **** is it you are wanting me to do and I'll do it'

I do scruff. It normally happens when I'm trying to regain a dogs concentration on me rather than something else it finds temporarily more attractive, like another dog or cow ****. Never when I think the dog is in full cooperation but just getting the task a little bit wrong.

If you are going to talk about dog training at least know what things mean or ask

" It showed signs of not being sure whether it was actually doing what the trainer wanted or not"

is sticky!

Unsure what is wanted of it, lacking in confidence, unwilling to leave the trainer and move freely

​STICKY meaning lacking in confidence for what ever reason, as I dont know the dog.

Edited by Actionpigeons

I suggest you do the same. The dog pottering at his feet while he is half showing it's hunting prowess during the first part of the clip is the dog being "sticky" like that or not. The dog is sticky, looking to him for reasurrance and looking to him because it's not sure if what it's doing is correct. That is exactly how I see it and how I explain "sticky"

It's an over minipulation of the dog that results in it not wanting to think for itself. You will see it with dogs that have been over handled and in dogs that have had too much correction or too many distractions during hunting.

Edited by Bazooka

I suggest you do the same. The dog pottering at his feet while he is half showing it's hunting prowess during the first part of the clip is the dog being "sticky" like that or not. The dog is sticky, looking to him for reasurrance and looking to him because it's not sure if what it's doing is correct. That is exactly how I see it and how I explain "sticky"

It's an over minipulation of the dog that results in it not wanting to think for itself. You will see it with dogs that have been over handled and in dogs that have had too much correction or too many distractions during hunting.

I apologize, as your post under my OP you seem to imply that it was not sticky, but now you seem to be agreeing that it is. .

Anyway off out with Hawk4sport now to do some dog training, not talk about it.

Edited by Actionpigeons

"

I apologize, as your post under my OP you seem to imply that it was not sticky, but now you seem to be agreeing that it is. .

Anyway off out with Hawk4sport now to do some dog training, not talk about it.

???? Would have thought the first sentence in the post you first read was clear?

Appology accepted. :good:

Edited by Bazooka

My opinion is still the same.

Beat or hit a dog like that then put it in the kennel for 6 months because that how long it will take for the dog to forget........

Neil

My opinion is still the same.

Beat or hit a dog like that then put it in the kennel for 6 months because that how long it will take for the dog to forget........

Neil

for some dogs that may be true but not all , I've seen people do worse and they certainly never had to lay off it for 6 months. When correcting dogs physically it always seems to look a lot worse than it actually is.