How to shoot springing teal

Hi all,

Over the bank holiday weekend I had a go at a 60 bird sporting and had a great time. I shot well and really enjoyed it. However,I dropped a lot of targets on the duck stand and couldn't get to grips with the springing teal.

There were 3 pairs on report, first was a landing duck style target coming from above and behind and quickly dropping. I got the hang of this one and did ok. The next bird was a springing teal, the trap was about 12 yards out from the shooting cage and the targets were quickly rising and curling to the right slightly with the wind.

How do you guys approach a target like this? What's a good way to hit these consistently? I tried shooting it up the backside and on the right hand edge to account for the curl, but no joy. I tried swinging ahead and still couldn't get the hang of it. I know it's hard to say what I was doing wrong without having seen me shoot but any ideas would be great!

Cheers.

Hi all,

Over the bank holiday weekend I had a go at a 60 bird sporting and had a great time. I shot well and really enjoyed it. However,I dropped a lot of targets on the duck stand and couldn't get to grips with the springing teal.

There were 3 pairs on report, first was a landing duck style target coming from above and behind and quickly dropping. I got the hang of this one and did ok. The next bird was a springing teal, the trap was about 12 yards out from the shooting cage and the targets were quickly rising and curling to the right slightly with the wind.

How do you guys approach a target like this? What's a good way to hit these consistently? I tried shooting it up the backside and on the right hand edge to account for the curl, but no joy. I tried swinging ahead and still couldn't get the hang of it. I know it's hard to say what I was doing wrong without having seen me shoot but any ideas would be great!

Cheers.

I shoot teal as I do driven targets and that's firstly to make sure you establish the speed of the target matching your gun with the speed, blot the target with the muzzle, pull the trigger as you pull-through and most importantly make sure you keep your gun moving as you do.

I know it's easier said than done but don't 'snatch' at the bird, don't rush and keep the gun movement as smooth as possible.

I think people think that because the target is going away then you have to shoot it as quickly as possible.

Definite high hold point to save your brain over estimating the speed and you pushing past a slowing target.

Lock on quick and follow it up slightly and pull the trigger. Depending on how high the target goes depends on whether or not you need to cover the target or just touch its base before pulling the trigger. Most will stop rising; it is at this point you just need to be on its bottom edge as it will then drop. Covering it at this point will cause the shot to go over the target. I usually hit them at this point as they look as if they are hanging in one element of movement. If they are going a long way out, you may need to take the shot sooner as it is rising, hence the need to cover.

Eye hold, gun hold, kill point. All 3 need to be thought about. this video will help a little despite his slightly condescending manner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pbqC2jQd8Y

I shoot teal as I do driven targets and that's firstly to make sure you establish the speed of the target matching your gun with the speed, blot the target with the muzzle, pull the trigger as you pull-through and most importantly make sure you keep your gun moving as you do.

I know it's easier said than done but don't 'snatch' at the bird, don't rush and keep the gun movement as smooth as possible.

I think people think that because the target is going away then you have to shoot it as quickly as possible.

This what I do - its called the 'Churchill Method' you must however, as said, follow the track of the target SMOOTHLY and blot out and pull ahead v slightly on that curving path, fire and keep moving at the same speed - dont stop.

No jerks just smooth, take your time - try a couple 'dry.' Before you blame your shooting, check your stance - left foot slightly forward and about 18" to the left of your right foot which should be relaxed and 5 past 12 orientation. Lean slightly into the shot (again to control shooting over) and away you go. Take your time and visualise the shot when you hit the bird and reproduce it - then memory should take over.

Depends on the target as some teal targets level off going away from you just at the point you pull through to shoot it missing over the top.

Some curl a fair bit more than you think you need to move your gun.

Others I've shot I've never hit one on the rise as it was that far out high and fast, only chance was as it peaked.

Try to see exactly what the target is doing at the point where you will shoot it,or where you will find it easiest to hit.

Reading the target correctly is first and foremost to hitting it.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Make sure you do not 'look up' when raising the gun.. keep your head 'planted' on the stock and look down the barrels as you would any other target.

Lift it all together; when the target is covered by the barrels, fire, don't worry about stopping the gun... you won't!

Good luck.