.223 or 22.250

davesw

I would personally never even think about moving to a 22-250 if I used a .223 for fox, the only sensible step up (if you really think you need it) is a .243!

Try that with a 55g V-Max, shoots like a pussycat, stings like a ...

:good:

+1 keep the 223 and then make the step up to 243,

Atb

Flynny

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would personally never even think about moving to a 22-250 if I used a .223 for fox, the only sensible step up (if you really think you need it) is a .243!

Try that with a 55g V-Max, shoots like a pussycat, stings like a ...

:good:

Atb

Flynny

You will see far less impacts through the scope with a 22.250 than the others unless it is very heavy, a moddy would help that though as it dampens the muzzle rise on fireing.

Most foxes are killed at well under 200 yards, at that range 204/222/223/22.250 or even 220 Swift will all do the job perfectly.

A factory 22.250 is a good killer yes but in my experience is not as accurate by and large as the smaller cases within the group, on a fox it is accurate enough but a crow at 250 yards might get away with it.

Shooting at 200 yards on and above on a regular basis then 204 or 22.250, dont dismiss 20s, I have easily killed foxes at around 300 yards using them, my 20 has a 95% first shot kill rate overall on foxes at all ranges. Most are sub 200 yards.

A

"Crow at 250 yards might get away with it"!Lol lol lol!!

Atb

Flynny

I have .308 so no need for .243 at the moment ! And a full cabinet if I. Get another cabinet I won't be able to claim only having a (couple) of guns to the wife!

I have .308 so no need for .243 at the moment ! And a full cabinet if I. Get another cabinet I won't be able to claim only having a (couple) of guns to the wife!

Fair comment, I have a .223, .243 and a .308, and the .243 definitely has a place for me! :yes::good:

You will see far less impacts through the scope with a 22.250 than the others unless it is very heavy, a moddy would help that though as it dampens the muzzle rise on fireing.

Most foxes are killed at well under 200 yards, at that range 204/222/223/22.250 or even 220 Swift will all do the job perfectly.

A factory 22.250 is a good killer yes but in my experience is not as accurate by and large as the smaller cases within the group, on a fox it is accurate enough but a crow at 250 yards might get away with it.

Shooting at 200 yards on and above on a regular basis then 204 or 22.250, dont dismiss 20s, I have easily killed foxes at around 300 yards using them, my 20 has a 95% first shot kill rate overall on foxes at all ranges. Most are sub 200 yards.

A

Hi - just out of interest which .20 are you shooting?

Never understood the 22-250 for the UK user (as the .243 will do everything it can with a 55 grain ,plus all UK deer with heavier) till I swatted up on its capacity to shoot reduced loads very well, .22 Hornet through .223 range all the way up to the fastest you need to push a .22 bullet @ 4000 fps. Its more versatile than a .223 rem when you look at it like that. Barrel burner? yeah but only if you run it a full shunt

The .223 rem can however come in a smaller package (like the CZ527) and if you only want to shoot std power ammo its a very fine choice.

What neither gun will do is magically increase your range, the person using the rifle does that. "200yard crows" ? I do that with a .22 hornet adding in Rabbit head shots when things are kind weather wise and I shouldn't hesitate on a 200 yard daylight fox either if the wind wasn't to tricky (there are some days I should think twice about doing a 200 yd shot on a fox with the .243). A good shot with a .223 rem should be able to place his shots well enough out to 300 yards but a bad or average one might struggle with the 22-250 at far less.

Foxes on the lamp are normally well within range and on nights when they are not it will generally be the wind that matters not the drop as its harder than heck to call wind at night in the real world.

Never understood the 22-250 for the UK user (as the .243 will do everything it can with a 55 grain ,plus all UK deer with heavier) till I swatted up on its capacity to shoot reduced loads very well, .22 Hornet through .223 range all the way up to the fastest you need to push a .22 bullet @ 4000 fps. Its more versatile than a .223 rem when you look at it like that. Barrel burner? yeah but only if you run it a full shuntThe .223 rem can however come in a smaller package (like the CZ527) and if you only want to shoot std power ammo its a very fine choice.What neither gun will do is magically increase your range, the person using the rifle does that. "200yard crows" ? I do that with a .22 hornet adding in Rabbit head shots when things are kind weather wise and I shouldn't hesitate on a 200 yard daylight fox either if the wind wasn't to tricky (there are some days I should think twice about doing a 200 yd shot on a fox with the .243). A good shot with a .223 rem should be able to place his shots well enough out to 300 yards but a bad or average one might struggle with the 22-250 at far less.Foxes on the lamp are normally well within range and on nights when they are not it will generally be the wind that matters not the drop as its harder than heck to call wind at night in the real world.

For what reason don't you understand the .22-250 bud?

When I first applied for CF rifle I asked for a .243 and my FEO said no especially cos I was only wanting it for Fox Control.

Most if not all Police Forces will not allow to permit a .243 as a starter CF rifle just for this reason!

I settled on this very fast and flat shooting .22-250 calibre and tbh don't wanna go .243 now cos my .22-250 will do anything a .243 will do for my Fox Control!

For what reason don't you understand the .22-250 bud?

When I first applied for CF rifle I asked for a .243 and my FEO said no especially cos I was only wanting it for Fox Control.

Most if not all Police Forces will not allow to permit a .243 as a starter CF rifle just for this reason!

I settled on this very fast and flat shooting .22-250 calibre and tbh don't wanna go .243 now cos my .22-250 will do anything a .243 will do for my Fox Control!

I think you should actually read through what I posted, it will all become clear that is not what I said today.

Question - How is a 55 grn bullet from a .22--250 less risk to the public at large than a 55 grn bullet from a .243 win? Of course its not that's just BS from the coppers who are generally very poorly informed. Is it better for the public at large you get and store yet another rifle as well as a 22-250? Don't worry though I have heard an FEO say 22-250 was more dangerous than a .223 rem, equally daft but there you go!

The thing is with regards to choice of cf whether you choose 222,223,22.250 or any thing else or that matter is the fact that you can. Choose that is :yes:

You have freedom of choice what car you buy, what house you buy, its choice.

Kent, if "you" were to make the decisions as to who had what and for what reasons we would all be boring old flatulence blowers. :lol:

The guy was asking between a 223 and 22.250, why dont i tell him to get a 6.5 that an improvement on 243. Well i couldn't see it in his choices :lol:

I think you should actually read through what I posted, it will all become clear that is not what I said today.

Question - How is a 55 grn bullet from a .22--250 less risk to the public at large than a 55 grn bullet from a .243 win? Of course its not that's just BS from the coppers who are generally very poorly informed. Is it better for the public at large you get and store yet another rifle as well as a 22-250? Don't worry though I have heard an FEO say 22-250 was more dangerous than a .223 rem, equally daft but there you go!

I'm with Dougy on this one.

The OP asked .223 or .22-250 for a Foxing set-up not any other calibre!

If the gent asked for a Fox and a Deer set-up then yes I'm all for a .243 then but what I'm saying is in my opinion i use a .22-250 and it's a cracking round for Fox!

My mate Eccles on here shoots loads of Foxes with a .223 and either .223 or .22-250 which the OP asked for are plenty good enough for Fox Control!

The .243 is still a better fox gun there is no argument. But if you can't get one it's irrelevant, it just seems to have a bit more authority counts when you get it slightly wrong or need to take a less than perfect shot

I don't see the 22-250 as inferior to the .243 as a foxer.

The thing is with regards to choice of cf whether you choose 222,223,22.250 or any thing else or that matter is the fact that you can. Choose that is :yes:

You have freedom of choice what car you buy, what house you buy, its choice.

Kent, if "you" were to make the decisions as to who had what and for what reasons we would all be boring old flatulence blowers. :lol:

The guy was asking between a 223 and 22.250, why dont i tell him to get a 6.5 that an improvement on 243. Well i couldn't see it in his choices :lol:

Read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote. I don't actually see the 6.5 as a comparison as you cannot get a 55 grain 6;5mm varmint bullet. The 22-250 can run at Hornet levels or .223 levels and reputedly do it well with good accuracy. The .243 cannot do this its pretty much a full throttle foxer, a 6.5 has no chance on bullet selection alone (you brought it up but see you make the point bigger isn't always better, why not bring in a 7mm WSM or a 50 BMG). 6.5mm or .243 win becomes vary much another discussion on a different footing, there is no improvement in rifle cartridges just differences in areas of use. Sometimes less is more and I think in the loading room 22-250 shows uses here over the .223 rem at the very fact it can run at less power or more than the .223 . The points it gains over the ,243 is the larger case and bullet selection is that you wont get one to perform correctly at lower Hornet or even .222 / .223 levels (the .250 can but it cant do all deer)

6.5mm or .243 win becomes vary much another discussion on a different footing, there is no improvement in rifle cartridges just differences in areas of use

A .223 rem can only be a .223 rem or down this doesn't make it a worse rifle for fox than a .223 rem just not perhaps so versatile, like I also say this makes no difference to it as a capable foxer in most hands.

Fact remains 22-250 and .243 are a ballistic mirror of each other with 55 grain bullets and if you need a 250 for fox and long range vermin and don't want to download it remains a more versatile choice. get a .223 rem and if you want a lighter / smaller actioned gun get a .223 as 22-250 runs into a medium not a small action size and wont be shooting at the more extreme distances (that most only talk of without ever really doing in the field).

Stupid FEOs and area licencing policy are another matter / thread and plenty get first time .243 win grants right across the country. All you need is good reason

When I was going for my .223 I looked in to the 22-250 as an option. A friend of mine has a 250 which I tried and the first thing I thought was there was more noise and recoil than the .223's I had tried. When looking at the pros and cons on the internet I came across this, (among millions of other things)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

I chose the .223 because it is not that far behind the 250 ballistically but it has less noise and recoil and uses less powder and is easier on the barrel. I am just sharing my thoughts and findings on the subject, no doubt there are some who will disagree.

When I was going for my .223 I looked in to the 22-250 as an option. A friend of mine has a 250 which I tried and the first thing I thought was there was more noise and recoil than the .223's I had tried. When looking at the pros and cons on the internet I came across this, (among millions of other things)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

I chose the .223 because it is not that far behind the 250 ballistically but it has less noise and recoil and uses less powder and is easier on the barrel. I am just sharing my thoughts and findings on the subject, no doubt there are some who will disagree.

Well done!

At least it's good info on one of the calibres the OP has asked for!

I'd stick with the .223..just because the ammo's fairly cheap and I like to keep my sight picture and watch charlie drop through the scope. I've got tikka t3's in .223 and .243 and the .223 groups best at 200 yds, inch and a half groups all day long, good enough for any fox. I was using cheap privi ammo the other day (50p a bang!) and hitting a 3" target at 300 yds with ease (8x56 hawke eclipse cheap-as-chips scope). There are good things to be said about the smaller calibres, a couple of my mates swear by the tac .20 and .17 fireball. They're great...very flat with little recoil but they are a bit weather fussy (don't like the wind and rain)...you could always go for one of these if you fancied something different and take the .308 if it was a bit blowy?....

Well not long got in after a lovely afternoon/evening shooting with my 22.250. A few bunnies and crows and a cub that was really the intended quarry in the first place. I didn't loose sight of anything I actually hit but there again there's not many who would walk up to the top of cardiac hill with a rifle weighing in at 14 lb. Lol

shot from 160yards to 235yards. I do love my shooting ;-)

night night.

Well not long got in after a lovely afternoon/evening shooting with my 22.250. A few bunnies and crows and a cub that was really the intended quarry in the first place. I didn't loose sight of anything I actually hit but there again there's not many who would walk up to the top of cardiac hill with a rifle weighing in at 14 lb. Lol

shot from 160yards to 235yards. I do love my shooting ;-)

night night.

Well done bud.

I'd stick with the .223..just because the ammo's fairly cheap and I like to keep my sight picture and watch charlie drop through the scope. I've got tikka t3's in .223 and .243 and the .223 groups best at 200 yds, inch and a half groups all day long, good enough for any fox. I was using cheap privi ammo the other day (50p a bang!) and hitting a 3" target at 300 yds with ease (8x56 hawke eclipse cheap-as-chips scope). There are good things to be said about the smaller calibres, a couple of my mates swear by the tac .20 and .17 fireball. They're great...very flat with little recoil but they are a bit weather fussy (don't like the wind and rain)...you could always go for one of these if you fancied something different and take the .308 if it was a bit blowy?....

.20 beats .224 on wind and none are effected by rain