Kestrel or AYA?

Man o kent

If you are not using steel, then stick to the AYA No3 in 12 bore. You will be able to get ahold of cartridges easier ( if not reloading ) and with shot like hevi shot or ITM ( or available equivalent ) it will be perfect for shore use.

I own a Kestrel 10 bore, used it for the last flight of last season and will be using it alot more this coming season

I use Gamebore 3" steel in 3's & 1's through a English Midland 3" with no ill effects.

Looking for a side by side for wildfowling, and have been considering a 10 bore kestrel or an AYA no.3 magnum. Wondered if anyone had any experience with either of the two guns? I'm content (not happy) to shoot with non toxics other than steel. Many thanks

I`ve used steel through an AYA with no ill effect. The AYA is probably slightly better made than the Kestrel and it certainly handles better.

The 10 bore Kestrel is a great heavy, badly balanced lump of a gun. If you only intend to shoot geese then there may be some point in it, but otherwise it will be expensive to feed and it`ll take some time to get to grips with it`s handling.

Having said that,if held straight, a 10 bore can be a devastating tool on the foreshore.

For general versatility in terms of handling, variable shot load capacity, and ease and cheapness of supply of ammunition, I`d go for the 3" AYA.

Are you looking for a gun for shooting geese or an all round gun for general wildfowling? If the latter, I would recommend sticking with a 3.5 inch 12 bore which shoots steel and will be adequate for both. If the former the AYA would be a better gun but would it justify the probable price difference. Have you tried shooting with a 10 bore, if not I would suggest you try one out if you can before purchasing.

Hope that helps.

Good morning, thankyou for your replies. I'm relatively new to shooting, and will be joining a wildfowling club (probably kent) this year. Did a taster day back in February, fired a couple of shots, missed everything and loved it. I prefer to shoot sxs, as it just feels more comfortable, and traditional, plus I hit more clays with one as opposed to an o/u. No, never fired a 10

Just being there as the morning breaks, hearing the air fill with sea birds will be most of the experience for me, bagging a duck or goose will be a bonus. I'd be happy to fire a shot or two and bring home a bird every now and then. I must be an old romantic, plus I'm an angler, I'm used to blanks!

From reading this I think you have what it takes.

Just being there as the morning breaks, hearing the air fill with sea birds will be most of the experience for me, bagging a duck or goose will be a bonus. I'd be happy to fire a shot or two and bring home a bird every now and then. I must be an old romantic, plus I'm an angler, I'm used to blanks!

You will do just fine :good: I think being an angler and a wildfowler are made to go together, it is quite likely that if you "get" one then the other will suit you just great.

Good morning, thankyou for your replies. I'm relatively new to shooting, and will be joining a wildfowling club (probably kent) this year. Did a taster day back in February, fired a couple of shots, missed everything and loved it. I prefer to shoot sxs, as it just feels more comfortable, and traditional, plus I hit more clays with one as opposed to an o/u. No, never fired a 10

A kestrel 10 is a big lump of a gun, for all round wildfowling i would not suggest using one. a 12 is a much better choice. Unless your 6' + and build like the proverbial its will make quick shooting very difficult.

I had a Winchester 3inch pump that I used for years on the foreshore. It was a great gun for the geese. I moved onto a semi which is also a great all round gun and as I have said before it Is the workhorse gun from my cabinet. Each to your own but for what it is worth. I wouldn't go back to a pump.