Which Watch?

phil123

Cheers for all the replys.

To be honest I'm not a big watch person, I just want a nice one that I can wear out and if somebody's sees it they'll think that's nice!

I hate to say it but I suppose I'd rather it be a statement than a good time keeper! ( sorry London Luke! I do know where your coming from though! )

Just had a look at Steinhart watches and very nice they are too. The movements look fantastic. Top quality without the added zeros on the pric tag.

My dad's just got a new watch for the sort of money your looking under five hundred. Will ask what it is.

Figgy

£500 isn't a lot for a decent top end marque to be honest..and I would advise you to avoid them unless you are prepared to save up for the extortionate service costs.

Makers like Tag, Omega, Rolex, etc. will have to go back to the UK service centre and you will be charged 80 to 100 sovs just to get the back off.

If you want a watch to wear regularly a quartz movement would be best but if its for occasional wear an auto-movement. Remember that Its the movement which is the heart of the watch and some top end Swiss marques actually use inexpensive quartz movements so you are paying silly money just for the steel case and makers name.

I would be tempted to avoid the makes with chronometer multi functions and all the whistles and bells, helium dive valves, hinged crown protectors etc etc they are all gimmicks and you will never use them and they will go out of fashion quickly. whereas a discerning enthusiast will always recognise the quality of any traditional time piece you might be wearing.

I have a reasonable collection of quality watches tucked away for my pension and if I had to go and buy a new watch tomorrow for £500 to add to it would be a Tissot black stainless steel luxury automatic, a PRC 200 or if I could find a decent one a pre owned oris big crown auto.

Whatever you buy, go for a company that makes watches rather than a fashion brand.

+1

loads of fashion brands selling pricey watches that would plumet in plice the moment you walk out of the shop.

Have you considered buying pre-owned. I have an Omega seamaster 300 that I got new about 5 years ago and a 1964 seamaster that the wife bought me for Christmas last year, cost her£350 and thats the one that gets commented on most by people.

+1

loads of fashion brands selling pricey watches that would plumet in plice the moment you walk out of the shop.

Have you considered buying pre-owned. I have an Omega seamaster 300 that I got new about 5 years ago and a 1964 seamaster that the wife bought me for Christmas last year, cost her£350 and thats the one that gets commented on most by people.

Not necessarily true...I have a couple of Paul Smith watches..a Marc Jacobs, 2 Chanel's, a Bulgari and a Diesel watch that have all increased in value in the last 5 or 6 years. The Paul Smith and Diesel watches particularly so.

It depends very much on what you buy and what you pay for it.

The wife did well.... a 64 seamaster is a grands worth of anyone's money today...a classic watch without all what we call the chavtachments

People wrongly assume that big is better, but its not always :yes::lol:

Edited by Fisherman Mike

I have found if you shop about you can get some great deals, especially after xmas on some decent watch brands. I purchased a few watches over the years. I have never paid more than 50% of the rrp. Brands i have seen half price examples of are rado, omega, raymond weil, ball and oris. I got a raymond weil just after xmas reduced 50%. Seen an Oris in a local jewelery shop reduced from 2k to 1k and a raymond weil in the same shop reduced from £900 to £450. So my advice is keep an eye on major brands websites and keep an eye on high street shop windows for those little 50% off gems.

I got a second hand omega seamaster for about £400, best watch I ever had, keeps way better time than my mates rolex.

I,ve had the same for over 20 years , from new , really nice and very smat lookig.

Trouble is it never kept a good time , although had it serviced twise. It,s always a couple of min.slow every 24 hours.

Still I like it.!!