Kerbstone Lowering

station

Anyone know how much it costs to lower kerbstones for a driveway?

I seem to remember that it was only the local authority that could do it and they had a standard charge around £750. Now that's going back 10 years so I'm a little out of date.

Just need 2 lowered ones and then 1 either side as tapered ones.

Footpath is Tarmac if that makes a difference?

Many thanks.

You need a groundworker who has a highways licence. You also need permission from the highways authority to remove and lower an adopted kerb or to make an access way off an adopted road across a footway. When you make your application ask for a list of licence holders in your vicinity.

Advice.....Don't do it without getting the proper permits in place first... someone will complain and you will be fined, and asked to return the kerb to its original line even if you subsequently get permission.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

You need a groundworker who has a highways licence. You also need permission from the highways authority to remove and lower an adopted kerb or to make an access way off an adopted road across a footway. When you make your application ask for a list of licence holders in your vicinity.Advice.....Don't do it without getting the proper permits in place first... someone will complain and you will be fined, and asked to return the kerb to its original line even if you subsequently get permission.

Sound advice - appreciated.

ATB

You need a groundworker who has a highways licence. You also need permission from the highways authority to remove and lower an adopted kerb or to make an access way off an adopted road across a footway. When you make your application ask for a list of licence holders in your vicinity.Advice.....Don't do it without getting the proper permits in place first... someone will complain and you will be fined, and asked to return the kerb to its original line even if you subsequently get permission.

This is spot on.

Where I live they wanted an 'approved contractor' and the list of approved contractors was a monopoly - they all wanted £1500 a go and each quote mirrored the next. So I went to my builder and he had a good ground worker with street works licence. I then paid for the builder to top his PL insurance to £10 million (that cost £200) and I then applied for them to go on the list of approved contractors. He charged me £500 for the job *and* retarmacing outside.

Now the good bit is that I've recently moved and need two drop kerbs and a drop of Tarmac. We've done and got the planning and so I now only have to go back to my chap because he's name is now on the approved list.

In the London Borough of Waltham Forest they will only allow their own in house team and the cost for two drop kerbs and a splash of Tarmac is approaching £5k, it's daylight robbery.

For what it's worth, I think most councils are happy for most kerbs to be lowered, as it gets cars of public roads.

Jamie

But restricts on street parking...... If there are shops nearby they may object as anyone can park on the street but only you can park on your drive...

The excuse our council is using for now allowing dropped curbs is 'drainage'. By lowering the curb, you are also getting rid of a small patch of grass which sits between the curb and the pavement. Might not seem like alot, but collectively they add up to quite a bit of drainage where water can't get down into the soil. Never mind that everyone has a garden (quite often both a front and rear one) which they could concrete over if they please.

Hi

If you are on a classified road (including classified un-numbered) you will need to go through the planning process first - even if 'amending/adjusting an existing dropped kerb vehicle access arrangement.

As replied above vision splays (for pedestrians and vehicular) important as is the off-street car parking provision being SUDS (Sustainable Urban Drainage System) compliant .

L