First aid kit

jimbo9t9

Hi all

Not sure if this has been covered but what do you guys keep in your first aid kit when shooting, looking at making a kit up to keep in the landy so will be with me when clay shooting and when beating. I work with a ex paramedic who has mentioned some good ideas and even mentioned keeping some basic trauma kit.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, a basic trauma kit is a few bandages.....

I wouldn't take much more than some antiseptic, a saline wash, Gauze, tape and a few different bandages. if you want you could take a sling for some minor dislocations and sprains.

Edited to add that obvious pain relief such as paracetamol and ibuprofen for minor injuries too.

Edited by Mr-Sheen

Cheers

Was told aspirin is a good one to carry in case of cardiac arrest, a CPR face shield, a instant ice pack and possibly a tourniquet, I have seen some nasty accidents so think it's good to be prepared, I'm guessing it's one of those things you take for granted till you need it.

Edited by jimbo9t9

Cheers

Was told aspirin is a good one to carry in case of cardiac arrest, a CPR face shield, a instant ice pack and possibly a tourniquet, I have seen some nasty accidents so think it's good to be prepared, I'm guessing it's one of those things you take for granted till you need it.

Get the training to go with it. http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-courses.aspx

I'll try not to waffle.

You can break the items down into 'comfort' items and 'trauma' items for convenience. You are by far more likely to need the comfort items, but without the trauma items you could be very much worse off.

A decent dressing is a must. I recommend either:

http://www.spservices.co.uk/item/SPServices_T4TraumaDressingPadwithElasticatedBandage_23_68_3503_1.html

or

http://boundtree.co.uk/first-aid/haemorrhage-control/trauma-bandages/traumafix-dressing-10-x-18cm-pad

Both comprise a pad with an elasticated bandage that can deal with major wounds, grazes, be used as an eye pad, even as a sling or support bandage or used to fix the dog!

A tourniquet is a last resort item.

This is my stalking kit -

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMDA3LTAwMDU2LmpwZw.jpg

the tablets are a couple of painkillers and a few anti-histamines. A headache or blister can ruin a stalk, but a deep knife wound can ruin a lot more......

[i carry a much more comprehensive kit in the car]

It's something I would keep in my transport all the time and will be close enough if out shooting, I know it does sound a bit extreme as I think shooting is a very safe sport but there is always that what if factor in the back of my head, personally I think everyone should do some sort of basic first aid training it's those vital first minutes waiting for the ambulance that can actually save someone's life

Tablets arent recognised in first aid kits

They are in mine. I know what they are. Not quite sure what you mean?

Do you really take a (shooting) first aid kit with you?

Stalking alone - always. Roughshooting close to the car maybe not.

A tourniquet is not a last resort item. At least two should be in any trauma kit. Massive haemorrhage will kill you before all the other stuff.

Care based on MARCH acronym:

M - Massive Bleeding

A - Airway

R - Respirations

C - Circulation

H - Head Injury / Hypothermia

In my vehicle I have a comprehensive kit which contains 2 tourniquets , Celox, several field dressings, a splint, tape, gauze, plasters, saline eye wash, bolan chest seals and scissors as the basics. In rural areas you could be waiting fir sometime for professional medical help. Be prepared to stop somebody bleeding out if you have to!

Edited by byjovecarruthers

A tourniquet is not a last resort item. At least two should be in any trauma kit. Massive haemorrhage will kill you before all the other stuff.

Care based on MARCH acronym:

M - Massive Bleeding

A - Airway

R - Respirations

C - Circulation

H - Head Injury / Hypothermia

In my vehicle I have a comprehensive kit which contains 2 tourniquets , Celox, several field dressings, a splint, tape, gauze, plasters, saline eye wash, bolan chest seals and scissors as the basics. In rural areas you could be waiting fir sometime for professional medical help. Be prepared to stop somebody bleeding out if you have to!

Keep any transexamic acid in your bag while your at it?

The microwave?

Mr sheen, the x-ray machine doubles as a microwave. The machine that goes PING! is an entirely different device. It is life affirming.

My compact first aid kit consists of a pack of plasters, hibi scrub, a few caps of saline eye wash and if i dont have my glasses a few pints of blood that match the blood group of my shooting buddies.

I have a first aid kit that lives in the car,

there is a sticker on the dash saying

"First aid kit under drivers seat,"

I know where it is, but someone else may need it,

btw a first aid course is useful to have too.