Army veteran lokking for pigeon shooting

Hello all.

After spending 8 years in the Army, where i never had the time to go shooting (game shooting obviously, i did plenty of rifle work! Ha) i am keen to get back out shooting. I used to go beating and the odd day pigeon shooting with my father when i was a lad.

I am looking for the opportunity for some pigeon shooting in the South Yorkshire area. I am in Rotherham but am willing to travel, within reason.

I dont have the money to buy a place on an organised shoot but would be willing to pay a nominal fee for a years pigeon shooting!

Any help or advice will be greatly recieved!

Thanks in anticipation!

Mick

Hello all.

After spending 8 years in the Army, where i never had the time to go shooting (game shooting obviously, i did plenty of rifle work! Ha) i am keen to get back out shooting. I used to go beating and the odd day pigeon shooting with my father when i was a lad.

I am looking for the opportunity for some pigeon shooting in the South Yorkshire area. I am in Rotherham but am willing to travel, within reason.

I dont have the money to buy a place on an organised shoot but would be willing to pay a nominal fee for a years pigeon shooting!

Any help or advice will be greatly recieved!

Thanks in anticipation!

Mick

hi Mick good luck. I'm from Rotherham too and even though I've got a couple of permission pigeon are hard to come by and I'm seeking some arable land to shoot over myself. Don't know how far you are willing to drive but have a nosey at Lancashire field sports on face book if you want days on pigeon or crow.

atb P.T

As an Army veteran of 23 years I didn't find it any easier to find pigeon shooting than anybody else.

A bit of advice tho, get rid of the 'old defender' and get something less thirsty, that will give you a wider area of opportunity.

Good luck.

As an Army veteran of 23 years I didn't find it any easier to find pigeon shooting than anybody else.

A bit of advice tho, get rid of the 'old defender' and get something less thirsty, that will give you a wider area of opportunity.

Good luck.

What he said, I haven't found being ex army helpful in gaining shooting. Also a thirsty car does reduce your area of opportunity.

Do you have a trade or skills someone could make use of, that might just give you a foot in the door.

I do have my chainsaw tickets, i did them for my resettlement so would definately be willing to offer some chainsaw work in exchange for shooting!

I understand what youre saying about the defender but i cant bring myself to part with it! Its part of the family!

Good luck.

Only 15 Years ex army but still can't find shooting here.

I'm not sure whether this 'Veteran' 'Ex Army' etc etc helps at all these days.

With all the redundancies over the last few years there are probably more 'Vets' in civvie street now than there ever was !!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, Lancashire might be a bit far as i drive an old defender. Diesel money plus the price of a days shooting would soon stack up. I will keep it in mind though!

it's a hr from my home in Barnsley a run down the stocksbridge bypass and over the tops should see you do the same maybe 80 mins met a lot of good lads from over there and had some good days.