Deer stalking nightmare

Hello all, this is a help wanted post, so those of you that don't like people asking for things may want to go look at the for sale section or another part of the forum.

for those of you that do stick with the post il let you into something rather disturbing that has just happened to me.

Il have to set the scene though so bare with me for a few sentences, at the start of the year I was put in touch with some "gentlemen" that might be able to help me with my ambition to take a muntjac deer, (for the table) they were very nice blokes and seemed to know the sport very well. and liked my enthusiasm for the hunt. after a long conversation I had an invite to join them on one of their stalks. so I was over the moon, 3 of us met up at a pre determined location and then drove out to the area where the deer were always found.

now I was not expecting to be pulling the trigger on my very first hunt, and I knew I would be doing all the crappy jobs that have to be done when the fun part is over with, that's fine with me, im happy to work from the bottom and learn as I get my way to the top, or as close to it as I can get, and sure enough, I had to do all the running, all the carrying and all the dirty smelly stuff that came with a hunt

what I wanted was to be learning as I go, hoping that I would learn the gralloch. learn what to look for when inspecting the carcas, learn what tagging is about and hopefully how to process what we had got

but ive just finished my 4th trip out and have not learned anything much except how to go get the bag from the truck, how to get rid of the internals of the deer, and how to stalk without PEOPLE seeing us

but this last trip didn't go like it normally does. we got another deer this time on the edge of the field rather than in the trees like normal. and me taking every task im given very seriously I was on the watch for people like I was told to do, very stupidly I thought the purpose of me watching for people was because of the inherent danger that comes with a 243 bullet flying through the wilderness towards an animal that moves sometimes and might not stop the bullet if the trigger was pulled at the wrong time

this time they were mid gralloch and I had just gone and got the container that goes in the back of the truck. then I got on with my task, I let them know we had people within sight, to my amazement I was told to grab the deer and get back to the truck, MID GRALLOCH

, then we got yelled at and I was told to drop the ******* deer and run like ****

I asked why the hell should we run, and was informed that the bloke yelling at us was the farmer and he was probably not very happy, (not in so many words, but you get the idea)

anyway, I didn't run and instead waited for the farmer, I obviously knew what was happening by this time so hung around to explain what had been going on, seems silly to point out that we met up with the police, but that's what happened later that day, I feel like a right ********, I have never broken a law in my life and im nearly 32, 32 years of being squeaky clean, not so much as littering the streets and end up being part of a poaching team

I did not get in any trouble, and don't care that I am now a grass, my life could have been completely screwed, and I have been part of screwing over a farmers land and probably his lively hood to some small amount, so giving the 2 so called gentlemens names that were on the side of their truck and the number plate is not going to keep me up at night, I will sleep sound

this has been one hell of a lesson and wont be forgotton for a long time, but I am still in need of knowledge. and still want to work my way up to a deer of my own, is there anyone on local to me that does the shooting as a legitimate business? has there own permission and has legal right to take deer. I have found stalks in Norfolk for £150 that offer the basic training and a shot at a deer if one should appear, but its too far for my little 125, so with thetford not as far and loads of heathland just down the road I would like to get something closer if it exists

any names or numbers you could give me would be appreciated

So if the deer moved the bullets going to go where? Your looking out for People in case the deer moves lol.surley they not taking shots without a back stop?i can believe for one moment you didn't click they where poachers from day one. Do you already hold FAC or hoping to aquire, coss you probably just blew it.Whats more worrying is it took you 4 outing before the penny dropped. Your either very Nieves of this is a wind up

Edited by Davyo

Sorry but if he's serious then do a proper course ds1 ds2. it just doesn't read right and seems rather odd that it took 4 outings to suss them out plus they should be named as to protect other shooters.the op is very lucky not to be charged.My advise is don't take people's word for it.look it up and find a registered stalker and or cont BASC or any Deer stalking association.Dont go with someone coss a mate says him down the road shoots deer.

Edited by Davyo

Sorry but if he's serious then do a proper course ds1 ds2. it just doesn't read right and seems rather odd that it took 4 outings to suss them out plus they should be named as to protect other shooters.the op is very lucky not to be charged.

I new someone who was on here, banned now, who used to take people out on land that wasn't his...charge them and just leave them, he's advertising goose shooting now and deer stalking on other websites...he's banned on most but some people still turn up...

I new someone who was on here, banned now, who used to take people out on land that wasn't his...charge them and just leave them, he's advertising goose shooting now and deer stalking on other websites...he's banned on most but some people still turn up...

R.G?

can you name and shame the outfit so others dont fall foul of them

atb dolphin

Yep and those are the very sort that do nothing for shooting,you see it on many sites,people advertising (paid) shooting of one sort or another.Wont even be registered for tax liabilities, will definatly have no liability insurance and i would be very surprised if the persons land they shoot over are aware.It also tarnishes the genuine outfits out there that run a very respectable business from decoying through to stalking.In fact i would make a suggestion that anybody using this or any other site to advertise paid shooting should be made to show their legal rights to do so before being able to use the site as a means of advertising business.This soils ensure that anyone paying for shooting from this site is protected against those people.

Edited by Davyo

Sorry to ridicule however I remain suspicious of the OP the majority of this posts just don't sit right with me & seam far fetched at best, we all have our opinions and I'm not saying don't help, I am saying approach with caution

As for not been helpful I think I am being helpful , just not to the OP

Sorry to ridicule however I remain suspicious of the OP the majority of this posts just don't sit right with me & seam far fetched at best, we all have our opinions and I'm not saying don't help, I am saying approach with caution

Totally agree with you there mate ,it reads like a wind up shooting in woods so nobody sees them,shooting at deer with no backstop, some one with a 243 roaming around the countywide??? :whistling:We read loads of post where people are struggling to get granted 243,without mentoring conditions or some forces are even requesting its an advantage to have ds1/ds2,(in other words do it). Yet this bloke has witnessed an alleged use of a 243 on a deer without consideration of a back stop(in his own words look out for people in case the deer moves at the last minute and a bullet goes off hurling into the wilderness or something along those lines)Sorry but its just totally crazy or totally made up.

If the guy is serious the there is an excellent opertunity in the paid shooting offered by elk hunter(the proper way and a cracking price ).

Edited by Davyo

alarm bells would of rang immediatly they said keep out of sight. :no::whistling:

Why, it made sense to me, running and jumping around isn't conducive to stalking and shooting wildlife. I was trying to learn, and if im none the wiser to the practices why would I question it

Name and shame the outfit so others don't fall foul of them...

Once the 2 in question have been to court and been charged, I will be happy to, but until that day comes it is a condition of no charges being brought against me that I am not allowed to name them or the business they have, to be fair though I am now a bit sceptical about the names I was given anyway, wouldn't you be?

Will you post pics of your first munty lashed to your 125?

Sorry sorry I'm a bad man ....

id be happy to :D

So if the deer moved the bullets going to go where? Your looking out for People in case the deer moves lol.surley they not taking shots without a back stop?i can believe for one moment you didn't click they where poachers from day one. Do you already hold FAC or hoping to aquire, coss you probably just blew it.Whats more worrying is it took you 4 outing before the penny dropped. Your either very Nieves of this is a wind up

ok first things first, looking out for people that shouldn't be where they are, is not that bad of an idea. that's why there is such a thing called trespass. and some old chap chasing his dog that has gone after a rabbit or deer is not out of the question either, with the amount of knowledge I did NOT have I wasn't really in a position to be questioning something I know nothing about

secondly the answer is no and no, no FAC and never did have plans to get one

maybe I am nieve, maybe I should have just taken the rifle off them and give it a go myself, then done a full gralloch before getting any advice from people who seemed to know what they were doing, why in the hell would I want to wind anyone up? whats the point? il point this out just once more to you as you are such an expert, I WAS TRYING TO LEARN

Sorry but if he's serious then do a proper course ds1 ds2. it just doesn't read right and seems rather odd that it took 4 outings to suss them out plus they should be named as to protect other shooters.the op is very lucky not to be charged.My advise is don't take people's word for it.look it up and find a registered stalker and or cont BASC or any Deer stalking association.Dont go with someone coss a mate says him down the road shoots deer.

Thanks for the advice. but I came out of air rifle shooting on ranges and did not know there was so much to this stalking. the dsc you mention was not pointed out to me until I spoke to the fire arms officer at the police station, the BASC part is the only thing I was shown by the men in question, which I presume they got the same time as the FAC they must have had, otherwise where did the rifle come from, anything outside of this is things I needed to learn about

Yep and those are the very sort that do nothing for shooting,you see it on many sites,people advertising (paid) shooting of one sort or another.Wont even be registered for tax liabilities, will definatly have no liability insurance and i would be very surprised if the persons land they shoot over are aware.It also tarnishes the genuine outfits out there that run a very respectable business from decoying through to stalking.In fact i would make a suggestion that anybody using this or any other site to advertise paid shooting should be made to show their legal rights to do so before being able to use the site as a means of advertising business.This soils ensure that anyone paying for shooting from this site is protected against those people.

emmm, I really don't think the 2 blokes would have cared about tarnishing anything. will just point out that I did not meet them through this site, or the stalking directory

If you want to learn about deer try joining the BDS and go along to some meetings of your local branch. Put yourself about and ask questions of fellow members.

Hope this helps

ok mate, will google BDS and look that up, big help, cheers bud

everyone is entitled to their own opinion and shouldn't be knocked because it doesn't match up with someone elses, couldn't agree more. what im confused about is that you have it in your mind somewhere that there should be a reason to share fiction. what would be the point? im not trying to sell anything, all I am asking for is advice so I can do things properly. why the hell would I bother to make anything up. my life has more purpose than that, you really must get out more if that is the first thing that sprang into your head, or maybe choose new friends if you think they are capable of that sort of rubbish

Totally agree with you there mate ,it reads like a wind up shooting in woods so nobody sees them,shooting at deer with no backstop, some one with a 243 roaming around the countywide??? :whistling:We read loads of post where people are struggling to get granted 243,without mentoring conditions or some forces are even requesting its an advantage to have ds1/ds2,(in other words do it). Yet this bloke has witnessed an alleged use of a 243 on a deer without consideration of a back stop(in his own words look out for people in case the deer moves at the last minute and a bullet goes off hurling into the wilderness or something along those lines)Sorry but its just totally crazy or totally made up.

If the guy is serious the there is an excellent opertunity in the paid shooting offered by elk hunter(the proper way and a cracking price ).

I don't remember saying there was no back stop. I also don't remember describing what the area we were in looked like, and without being an expert in ballistics how the hell I am supposed to tell if what they were actually using was a 243? they could have given me a number of any calibre and I would have been none the wiser, I was TRYING TO LEARN

shall look up elk hunter. thank you,

this is the constructive advice I thought I was seeking from the blokes I went out with,

everyone is entitled to their own opinion and shouldn't be knocked because it doesn't match up with someone elses, couldn't agree more. what im confused about is that you have it in your mind somewhere that there should be a reason to share fiction. what would be the point? im not trying to sell anything, all I am asking for is advice so I can do things properly. why the hell would I bother to make anything up. my life has more purpose than that, you really must get out more if that is the first thing that sprang into your head, or maybe choose new friends if you think they are capable of that sort of rubbish

Ha you will notice all my posts aren't biographies .... My honest view ? Your a bit of a day dreamer mate

No matter as long as your happy