.22lr ammo

Evening all getting ready to having a proper session clearing some rabbits soon and having used Winchester subs for years was wondering what others were using? Now I'm not trying to start a which bullet is best thread as I know every rifle can prefer different loads but it just got me thinking what other brands have you guys tried and got on with? I don't want to buy say 6 brands if only 2 or 3 seem to lead the way for example fiocchi or eley, cheers.

Here is a link to the thread. Geez it only seemed like the other week. At this rate it will soon be Christmas again. The results are probably down to what is on the shop shelves and what the shops stock because of profit margin and availability as opposed to any other consideration.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/281156-what-22lr-subs-do-you-shoot-poll/

Edited by fortune

Cheers fortune looks like winchesters are still popular! I see what you mean as I remember voting all the way back in April :) I know what you mean davyo but you know what it's like, is there that 'other' brand that could put a few extra bunnies in the bag. I just thought I'd ask the question not to repeat an old topic but to see if there were any newish brands that people liked that I hadn't heard of.

"Cheers fortune looks like winchesters are still popular"

Unfortunately recent batches of Winchester subs have been "varied" in consistency/accuracy to the point of devotees(inc myself)looking for alternatives.Such a shame when you find a choice of ammo/gun you are happy/contented with & then the goalposts are moved

It does make me larfffffff when I hear my gun likes this or that brand of .22lr, my .22's have never told me what they want or don't want because I cannot hear them hehehe

I use whatever is available at the time usually eley or Remington as I buy them cheaper from my gun club but as long as I can put 5 shots into a 5p at whatever range I'm zeroed at then I'm good to go and it makes no difference to the gun in fact it's quite common for me to have brands mixed in the same magazine

Interesting spandit never really thought of noise levels per brand! Must admit I still love it when the cases are 'spat' out

That's why a semi is much more expensive to run - it's too easy to waste ammo!

Lapua stuff is pretty hard hitting, when I chrono'd the RWS I was getting about 65 ft.lbs - they're not recommended for S/A but mine cycles them fine. I must try again with my bolt lock in place to see if it makes a difference

It does make me larfffffff when I hear my gun likes this or that brand of .22lr, my .22's have never told me what they want or don't want because I cannot hear them hehehe

I use whatever is available at the time usually eley or Remington as I buy them cheaper from my gun club but as long as I can put 5 shots into a 5p at whatever range I'm zeroed at then I'm good to go and it makes no difference to the gun in fact it's quite common for me to have brands mixed in the same magazine

I haven't had a conversation with the gun about it's likes or dislikes BUT mine does shoot better with RWS than others although I do use almost anything that is available. Remmington in mine are all over the place when tested on a target. this may be down to the velocity or just the production tolerances of the lead.

Well I'm sure your right most ammo would group ok if your only shooting at 25 yards ;)

• 2 weeks later...