Narrow minded farmers!!

Heppy1148

Pin,

The reason i have all the kit is from before i hjoined the Army, i used to live in the scottish borders and i had it all on my doorstep, Stalking, Salmon/Sea-Trout, Pigeons, Grouse, phesants, vermin etc, and went very regularly, but since i joined up and moved to a fresh area, i aint even been able to get my foot in the door.

Having said that i think i am off away soon for a while and my kit wont be used, but on my return......I WILL GET SORTED!!!

Thanks for all comments and all the best to all :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers

Heppy

Some very good points raised.

Personally, I look for vermin damage, be it pigeon, rooks or rabbits then ask the farmer. Start off with one or two of his problem fields and do a good job for him aiming to build up his trust. Hopefully he will then let you have access to the whole farm. Again keep your nose clean and do a good job. When you see pigeons or rabbits just over the fence on a neighbours ground ask the farmer to phone on your behalf for access. This way you are being properly introduced and not cold calling. I got 3 farms back to back with just under 1000 acres combined this way. Before you know it you've built up a good reputation and farmers contact you to sort out their problem areas.

It worked for me :rolleyes:

good luck

Totally depends on the situation on the farm i.e syndicates have game shooting rights or is keepered

If it is keepered you need to know the keeper first ,the best way for this is to beat for him or her

If there is no shooting at all then you need to speak to the land owner or tenant ,they will point you in the right direction if they don`t have the rights .

golden rules

1, Be polite even if they say no give them your number .

2, Get a knowledge of agriculture ,this helps no end if you can say (i see your field of barley has loads of crows on it they must be doing some damage could i!!)

3, get to know the staff if they have any this will help break the ice and ease the uncertainty for the landowner.

4, If you have shot on another farm local name drop ,farmers always like to know someone you do .

5, This one will hurt some ,offer a few £££ just to get you going then name drop .

good luck hope you get some permission soon

I know just how you feel as i went through the same thing, But keep trying and get of yer *** and walk the local ground regular to get noticed and find out whats happening to the crops etc. If you suddenly find a farm with a major problem, get in there and see the bloke so he can see the problem for himself. Once you get one piece of ground and are trusted you will get loads more by word of mouth. In the space of six months i went from 2 fields to 1500acres +. I am now struggling to keep on top of all this even though i give it 2 good sessions a week. Supose it would help if i was a better shot with the 12g

SO KEEP TRYING

I've had very little luck knocking on doors in the past, so due to a lack of available shooting over the winter I joined NOBS and went beating instead. I now have 5000 acres to shoot on outside the game season. Albeit I am told where I can and can't go and I've not had many pigeons so far, but it's nice to get out and I'm hoping my luck will improve.

The point is you need to get to know the farmer/keeper/owner and gain their trust, and in most cases offer them something in return. I know the keeper and the permission that I now have is part payment for the beating which was done during the season.

I should imagine that unless a farmer has a real problem that needs solving they won't be keen to let just anyone (even with insurance, letters of refernce etc) wander around their land.

Merman

As a farmer myself I would never grant permission to anybody I didn't already know, there is simply too much risk with a stranger for me.

I get approached at least a dozen times a year by people looking for shooting and as I already have an established team of pigeon shooters vacancies are very thin on the ground. As for the bunnies, well they are just mine.

There has been lots of sound advice on this thread, getting to know the farmers first has to be the way forward IMO, with beating being a particularly good way of doing it. On a shoot most people are there to enjoy themselves and thus much more approachable than when they are busy at work. Plus getting established as a beater can also lead to beaters days at the end of the season

The first one is always the most difficult, I have found the easiest way is to knock on the door when a field is being hit hard and offer your services. If the answer is no then leave a business card(these can be got from vista print for free. just keep the card simple name address) I have had farmers call me back in one case over a year later.

Always be polite and let them know you are insured.

Keep plugging away

Cheers

Neil

Having spent most of the weekend knocking on doors and asking farmers if i can help them by offering to cure rabbit problems, pigeon problems or other crop damaging game/vermin,

Try dropping by when they are building fence, bailing hay, cutting wood, spreading or shoveling manure and offer to help. It will go alot further than just asking if you can go out for a stroll on their property to have a fun day doing what you like.

As a member of the farming community, I can assure you that there are many days that I would like to be out shooting or fishing but cant as I am disking up a section of field, stringing a new fence or repairing fence......something that happens far more often in these days as people from the towns ride their ATV's out to the country along old rail beds and cut the fences to go hunting on property that they feel they have the right to use. So NO most farmers are not happy to just give permission to someone they do not know.

NTTF

Heppy 1148 what n2tf says is correct in every way, the best approach is sideways try to walk your dog or just be out and bump into your farmer socially, research which pub they frequent and on what night , most farmers have a night where they gather for a jar, try that approach but softly, gain confidence through a bit of local research about the individual, ha ha guess what I used to do for a crust??

Most of all dont give up all the best D2D. :blink:

Bar Man :blink: :good::lol:

LG

The first one is always the most difficult, I have found the easiest way is to knock on the door when a field is being hit hard and offer your services. If the answer is no then leave a business card(these can be got from vista print for free. just keep the card simple name address) I have had farmers call me back in one case over a year later.

Always be polite and let them know you are insured.

Keep plugging away

Cheers

Neil

THIS IS HOW I GOT MY FIRST FARM YEARS AGO WHILST OUT AND ABOUT AND SEEN A FIELD BEING HIT REALY HARD WITH PIGEON (swathed rape) LEFT MY WHEELS OUTSIDE THE FARM AND WALKED AND ASKED THE FARMER POLITELY IF HE HAD A MINUTE TO SPARE WHEN THE REPLY WAS WHAT ARE YOU AFTER ALARM BELLS STARTED RINGING THEN I POLITELY OFFERED MY SERVICES FREE OF CHARGE AND EXPLAINED I WAS INSURED THROUGH BASC AND THE COUNTRYSIDE ALLIANCE PERMISION WAS GRANTED AND FROM THEN ON I HAVE BUILT AND BUILT ON IT.MY OPPINION IS ASK POLITELY AND DONT GO EQUIPED TO SHOOT AND IF REFUSED LEAVE POLITELY AS MENTIONED IN OTHER POSTS THE FARMER MAY NOT EVEN KNOW YOU FROM ADAM KEEP PLODDING ON ALL GOOD WILL COME! :good:

Once you get some land others just seem to follow with no hard work involved.

Scaffy and myself were set up in one of our farmers fields pigeons were dropping into the rape field behind us.

After we finished and got all the gear stored away we had a coffee with our farmer and asked who the other farm belonged to .

Armed with a name we went round to see him he wasnt in had a chat to his father (82)years young asked if we could help stop the birds hitting his rape field. He said his son now made all the decisions and he was not in could we call back next morning.

I gave him a card with my contact number on and we told him if we could be of help to give me a ring in case we didnt get back straight away.

Next day we went and shot the same field in the morning for a couple of hours then walked across to the farm for coffee while we were there my mobile rang.

The farmer we went to see the previous day said by all means help your self and go ahead shoot the birds.

Just gained a quite a few 100 acres for 15 min chat to his farther....

Just got to go and meet him to find out the land boundaries first chance we get that makes 16 farms now.... :lol::D:lol::lol::lol:;);)

makes 16 farms now

leave some for others please. poor roy needs some.

Will slow down when i get to 48 the same as you :no: :o :P:P:P:P

and i got 2 more last week. <_<

Time to put your foot down Mike ;) :( :P?????????

makes 16 farms now

Will slow down when i get to 48 the same as you :P:P:P:P:P:P

Time to put your foot down Mike ;) :( :P???:no: :o

Mike, the 48 is inches on his waist ??? . Don't let him tell you any different :P???

makes 16 farms now

Time to put your foot down Mike ;) :( :P???:no: :o

Mike, the 48 is inches on his waist ??? . Don't let him tell you any different :P??? will you please marry me mike.

:P:P:P

makes 16 farms now

and i got 2 more last week. :good:

Time to put your foot down Mike :/:yes::D:P:P:P

Mike, the 48 is inches on his waist :/ . Don't let him tell you any different :no::lol: will you please marry me mike.

:( :lol::lol:

Only if you spend more than 30p on a pressy Mark