The Iceman

Scully

Read the book some time ago, and boy, what a book. It was the biography of Richard Kuklinski, who it is claimed was the most prolific hitman of his generation. I was keen to see the film and now have, and can only describe it as a huge disappointment.

Michael Shannon (Boardwalk Empire) played the title role, and despite some major names such as Ray Liotta, Wynona Ryder, James Franco (for all of 5 minutes!) and David Schwimmer it was dire. Disjointed, hard to follow, inconsistent with very little in the way of plot development leaving the viewer struggling to logically follow what was going on. Like I said, I have read the book and I still struggled.

Huge parts of his life went unexplained and for anyone who hadn't read the book, the massive significance of this character simply didn't exist. There was no reference to the cruelty he and his younger brother suffered at the hands of their father as very young children, with the exception of one very short fleeting flash-back, no reference to how he developed his 'skill' and the methods he employed, all very significant in developing his character, and the fact he beat his wife on a regular basis, his sudden and explosive violent temper, and the repercussions of same, and his relationship with DeMeo were simply skimmed over. His 'hit' on one of the major Mafia bosses of his time in a restaurant wasn't even mentioned!

If it had been given to Scorsese it would have been a totally different film, and could have been up there with Wise Guys, but as it is, it is a huge disappointment and a great opportunity missed.

You wont see it in the movies as it was a flop, costing $10 million to make and grossing less than $2 million. If you want to know the story, buy the book, which is superb, but give the film a miss.