ccleaner

pintail

I would download cc and run it, and then down load malawarebytes and also run that.

Cc will take minutes to run, malawarebytes may take an hour or more depending on your system, but you should notice a difference.

If you are running Norton, use a Norton removal tool and get rid of it install avast or similar.

Unfortuntely if you have a " bug" of some sort you are stuck with it. When you shut down youre computer does is hesitate and say " host shutting down first " The only way to get rid is to re boot to original config supplied by the computer supplier. HP offer this option but DELL does'nt seem too.

I use cache cleaner, no probs.

If running slow is a problem then there's another thing I do. There will be lots of programs that run in the background when you start up and these are not needed until you need them, if you get my drift.

Click on the Start button. In the search bar type in msconfig.

select msconfig then, in the dialogue box that opens up check 'selective startup'

then go to the 'startup' tab.

Uncheck all of the boxes except your antivirus program, click apply and restart. It will then start and run quicker because you haven't got loads of stuff running that you don't need.

On a similar theme, is there any decent freeware that can identify and eliminate unnecessary software that's running in the background and slowing down a computer?

Avast keep telling me that my computer is running slow and that they can cure this.

At a price!

On a similar theme, is there any decent freeware that can identify and eliminate unnecessary software that's running in the background and slowing down a computer?

Avast keep telling me that my computer is running slow and that they can cure this.

At a price!

See my post #8, you can set it up yourself to stop stuff running in the background.

Thanks, but how do I identify what's necessary and what's just needlessly slowing the system?

You can uncheck all of the boxes except whatever antivirus programme you are running. All of the programs will still be there but they won't start until you select them from the desktop icon so they won't be running needlessly.

If you are running Norton Antivirus then install Avast or AVG or similar and remove Norton because that can slow your computer.

And Avast has a nasty habit of scanning everything that passes anywhere near it needed or not, can cause quite a drop in performance. AVG Free will do a decent job without the overhead. As for CCleaner, been using it since day one, never had a problem on God knows how many PC's and Laptops I've looked at (probably around 500 or so).

You can uncheck all of the boxes except whatever antivirus programme you are running. All of the programs will still be there but they won't start until you select them from the desktop icon so they won't be running needlessly.

If you are running Norton Antivirus then install Avast or AVG or similar and remove Norton because that can slow your computer.

Thanks, I'll do that. Running Avast already.