Wildfowling Season 2014 - 2015

Wildfowler325

I was down your way last weekend marsh Man and there were plenty of duck and greylag further up the yare valley towards Norwich. We did the evening flight closer to breydon and it was much quieter but we did get a mllard. I am busy at the moment but will post the days events when I update my game diary.

Your right about the Greylag population down this way as the Broad land area is full of Geese , mainly all local ones as Geese from elsewhere hasn't had any reason to move yet due to the current weather conditions , same with the duck we have got a few Widgeon but not as many as we would expect to be here by now , still this time next week things can be completely different .

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just managed my first duck of the season in September scraping in on the last evening flight of the month. Missed two chances at Teal first ( I was using a single shot .410 with full choke and just a few Bismuth I had been given) then nailed a Mallard, called it a night then because that took some finding and I wanted to leave time for duck to come in undisturbed. It wasn't crippled due to the inadequacies of the gun as I only took very short range (approx. ten yards shots) but the tight spread smashed both wings and just raked the front of the chest, so defiantly a case of shooter error.

Wow though it was exiting you really do have to let them come in and with just one chance its very sporting, field craft and staying stock still and well hidden - essential !

So far I have taken ten shots in the month bagging 3 greylag and one mallard for a 1-2.25 shot average. I am sure I could have had more if I had taken more "half a chance" shots or gone for bigger bags when things were right rather than packing up but I have to say I have very fully enjoyed all my six trips. Weekend just gone I didn't shoot but spent the Sunday clearing a flash that was totally overgrown with rushes through the morning into the early afternoon and then fished the estuary for flounder and watched the tide and evening flight movements, scraping just three flatties as I was spending far too great a time with the 7x50s glued to my face rather than watching for bites.

I dunno if I will continue a monthly report on my adventures, depends how poorly I shoot next month :whistling: One thing I am finding is my shoulder that was operated on this summer is still giving me a choppy swing when I shoot at fowl passing over my left side, so I might need to consider that before I mount the gun.

Never give up on it Kent , there is a very good chance your shooting will come good in time. Last year after my stroke my shooting was pretty bad , but improved towards the end of the season. This year I am off to a good start with an average of 2 duck for every 3 shots, which is as good as my aim has been in all my years of wildfowling. Three or four of the duck have been real screamers , though the last one shot from a boat was a sitter. I let it get a bit close ( I was kneeling and had to let it get to the right angle from the boat. ) and though the meat was not damaged a cloud of feathers drifted down as it fell more like a hard hit pigeon.

Edited by anser2

Never give up on it Kent , there is a very good chance your shooting will come good in time. Last year after my stroke my shooting was pretty bad , but improved towards the end of the season. This year I am off to a good start with an average of 2 duck for every 3 shots, which is as good as my aim has been in all my years of wildfowling. Three or four of the duck have been real screamers , though the last one shot from a boat was a sitter. I let it get a bit close ( I was kneeling and had to let it get to the right angle from the boat. ) and though the meat was not damaged a cloud of feathers drifted down as it fell more like a hard hit pigeon.

In fairness, I am very happy if I keep things to 1-3 or under. I don't meet many who do much better on their backs from holes or awkward sitting positions in the edge of muddy creeks in the dark etc. I stopped last season just after Christmas when my shoulder was pretty much limited and I couldn't get it to do 90 degrees to the horizontal. My right shoulder has 70% free movement range my left is about 60 % now but I have to do my movement exercises daily.

Its a bit late , but here is the latest page from the game book.

Sep 26th

Well apart form the first day my wildfowling has been very quiet with a string of blanks on the coast. Friday saw me heading down to the Broads again for a morning flight on the Broads. There was not really time for the evening flight after tea, but we could not resist it. We were late ,very late and out only chance was when a pair of mallard appeared out of the deep afterglow of the sunset. Bryan missed his bird , but I took my time and fired when the other bird was a long way behind us. I thought I had missed , the duck had somehow just disappeared to my shot in the darkness. I listened for a possible thump of it hitting the ground , heard nothing , but the dogs knew better and after a brief search brought back a young drake.

For once Bryan and I were up in good time and it was still dark when we arrived at the boatshed. It did not take long to get the boat ready and loaded up. Two bags of goose and duck decoys, hide netting, guns and food left little space for Meg my lab to fit in too. Before long we were off with my mate rowing us down the boat dyke and for once we made out to the broad without any problems as I guided the boat down the narrow channel. Finally the broad stretched out before us like a mirror shining away to the distant trees on the far side. I friend had arrived just after us and headed off to his secret bay while we pulled across the middle of the broad heading for a reedy bay that has done us well in the past It felt good to back again for the first time this year. The sky was just starting to clear showing a handful of stars bright against the growing dawn sky. With each dip of the oar the stars reflected in the water rocked as the boats wash reached them and were finally lost in the darkness behind.

Somehow the reed bed seemed different to last year when we got there and for a moment I thought we were lost . But there was no time to lose , dawn was coming up fast and we had a couple of dozen decoys to set out. As usual one was in a tangle and stored away to be sorted out once it was light. But with 8 Canada and greylag decoys to our left and a mix of wigeon and mallard decoys to our right the pattern looked good in the half light as we wedged the boat into the reeds. With poles rigged it did not take long to get the hide up and we were in business.

An hour before sunrise and we were slipping shells into the guns and settled down to see what the dawn would bring. Our friend had a single shot several hundred yards away , but we could not see the result in the half light. We sat ready for any duck he might disturb , but nothing came except a ragged shadow flapping low over the reeds. A bittern , the first of three we were to see during the day. Slowly the light came and though we heard the odd mallard quack they were still outside our world. Finally a pair came turning over our decoys before swinging around for a final wide circle, but they went over our friend who missed them. As he did the next small bunch. A big gang of tufted got up from the far side of the broad , but again our friend was the only one who got a chance at them. He dropped two to his first shot and one swung off the bunch crashing in a welter of spray 200 yards off. He was unsighted and my mate suggested we should row over and retrieve it for him. But it would take some time to take the hide down and untie the boat from its stabilising poles and anyway I reasoned it was so still that the duck was unlikely to drift far and could be picked later. A few geese started to move, but all well wide of us, but a pair of greylag flew over our friend and he dropped one. The other veered off, swinging around the broad and headed straight for us, a trifle high perhaps for 1 1\4 oz of number 3s, but at the perfect angle.

“You take it “I whispered to my mate. His first shot was behind, but the second killed the goose and it plummeted into the reeds 25 yards behind. This was going to be a problem. For years the dense reed bed had never been cut and had developed into a tangle that a mouse would have trouble getting through, let alone a dog. The water was too deep for us to get out of the boat and even if we could the mud was very soft. Never the less the dog was keen so I sent her over the side of the boat. For ten minuets she was floundering around in the jungle of reeds and muck when we heard her snorting as feathers tickled her nose. Valiantly she tried to break through the reeds to bring it back, but all to no avail. Finally she came back without it. With a lot of encouragement and finally threats from a large gumboot up her rear she faced the reeds again and this time she just managed to drag the goose through the tangle and almost back to the boat. She was exhausted but my mate was able to reach the goose with an oar and we soon had it aboard. B was delighted, his first goose of the season, and once aboard again so was Meg when we gave a sausage roll for her efforts.

For a long time the sky’s were empty of fowl and it was well after sunrise when the first wigeon arrived. A nice bunch of twenty swung around the decoys several times until finally made a lower approach when from nowhere three wigeon flared up from over the decoys and took the bunch away with them. We had not seen them come in and they had spoiled what had appeared a certain chance. Several more wigeon came over and though all cupped their wings and had a good look at the decoys , none were daft enough to make the final approach . I suspect that in the dark I had set the decoys a little too close to the reeds and they would have worked better further out on the water.

The sun was starting to climb by now and the broad looked a picture. Dew covered reeds had been hanging their heads , but now a slight breeze was springing up and their sparkling seeds caught the rays of the morning sun. The growing warmth had stirred the fish and the broad was alive with them. Great slabs of bream rolling on the surface, smaller silver fish, probably roach occasionally jumping clear of the water and fry scattering as a pike sent a huge bow wave through the decoys.

A dozen greylag appeared, again heading for our friend. One dropped quickly followed by a second , but both were winged. A quick cripple stopper finished off the first, but the second was out of his range so he had to row after it. It had a good head start ,though after a couple of hundred yards a final shot stopped it just before it reached some reed islands. On the way back he picked up the tufted duck he had shot early on. There were plenty more tufted and mallard on the move, but the air was still and most were high, very high. That was until one appeared low over the broad making a beeline for out decoys. There was no mistaking this bird was mine and the drake collapsed in a cloud of feathers 20 yards out. We parted the hide and Meg was off like a shot. There were no problems with this bird and she quickly had the drake back to the boat.

By now it was time to pack up and almost as soon as we were out picking up the decoys a great skein of greylags appeared. They few over our friend who like us was retrieving decoys past us and settled at the far end of the Broad. Typical we thought, they cold not have come a couple of minuets earlier. Still it had been a brilliant morning with a goose and a mallard in the bag and not for a moment the four hours we spent afloat did time hang.

Edited by anser2

Grandalf and Penlope let me know when you are over , it would be good to have a chat after flight if I am there on the same day. Broke run of blanks on the coast last night. There were quite a few teal and mallard about and I had two shots that resulted in a teal and my first wigeon , a drake , of the season.

Just managed my first duck of the season in September scraping in on the last evening flight of the month. Missed two chances at Teal first ( I was using a single shot .410 with full choke and just a few Bismuth I had been given) then nailed a Mallard, called it a night then because that took some finding and I wanted to leave time for duck to come in undisturbed. It wasn't crippled due to the inadequacies of the gun as I only took very short range (approx. ten yards shots) but the tight spread smashed both wings and just raked the front of the chest, so defiantly a case of shooter error.

Wow though it was exiting you really do have to let them come in and with just one chance its very sporting, field craft and staying stock still and well hidden - essential !

So far I have taken ten shots in the month bagging 3 greylag and one mallard for a 1-2.25 shot average. I am sure I could have had more if I had taken more "half a chance" shots or gone for bigger bags when things were right rather than packing up but I have to say I have very fully enjoyed all my six trips. Weekend just gone I didn't shoot but spent the Sunday clearing a flash that was totally overgrown with rushes through the morning into the early afternoon and then fished the estuary for flounder and watched the tide and evening flight movements, scraping just three flatties as I was spending far too great a time with the 7x50s glued to my face rather than watching for bites.

I dunno if I will continue a monthly report on my adventures, depends how poorly I shoot next month :whistling: One thing I am finding is my shoulder that was operated on this summer is still giving me a choppy swing when I shoot at fowl passing over my left side, so I might need to consider that before I mount the gun.

Yes I had mine operated on in January for a frozen shoulder and its still no where near right

and yes you are right my swing is not smooth either as my left arm wont stretch . :/

Had my first duck of the season last night

Saturday evening and just two of us out on what is normally a busy part of our club foreshore shooting

Managed to bag a nice drake mallard.

It was great to watch so many Canadas flying down the channel and the only skein which came over me were to high for a shot

God I love wildfowling

That could of been us on our pond mate, had another good eve. Had the 1st teal of the year as well.

Well done did you have many ducks Ben

leave some duck about for us poor newbies will you lol. good going mate, can't fault you getting out there cheershh

Have you been out much

Well done did you have many ducks Ben

Have you been out much

hi spaniel, been out 5 times so far this season, plus out on tomorrow's associate flight, then also out on Wednesday morning for a flight at Frampton. To be honest iv had a few good offers to get out, but the gearbox in the car went. So unfortunately not been able to make it. No quarry shot yet, but iv scared a few so far lol