Wildfowling Season 2014 - 2015

Wildfowler325

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not out on the moon as have an associate flight, massive bore tide this evening and we are shooting one of the best marshes to see it. It should be quite a sight, won't be shooting anything over the water during or just after the bore though! Just need to make sure that nobody shoots a surfer :lol:

Yep there is a bore on this Estuary also and people come to surf it, its quite scary when it comes up the channel your on in the dark and pushes the duck off pretty good :good: . Tide didn't make prediction anyhow, high pressure and all that

Haha, me too! I thought he was tangled up in decoy line the first time he did it, disappeared for a good 5 seconds before surfacing with the teal. Took him 3 years to learn how to though. He usually just circles.

My dog dips his head right under and circles awaiting them surfacing, to be fair most of the time it wouldn't help if he dove due to colour and currents I cant see him getting one unless it dove to hold onto bottom with its beak (which I suspect they do often drowning them selves in the process). My last dog tried to catch a fish this way as a puppy during early introduction to swimming and it put him right off water for a while and was never a good water dog

You must be if you believe that ducks drown themselves by holding onto the bottom! As I said I thought it was an old wives tale that died out years ago

Well I don't think they do it intentionally but you see hold on long enough and its just like us holding our breath and what if it secums to its injuries (it wont always float up) I honestly cant see why they woulnt get snagged. That said I can only remember it "seeming" to occur the once, mostly the duck comes up a gutter or hides under the edge undercut. A lot of old wifes tales turn up with some truth in them but who knows for sure

In my experience, wounded duck on water go to land and wounded duck on land go to water, both ending up in the marginal edge.

Well I don't think they do it intentionally but you see hold on long enough and its just like us holding our breath and what if it secums to its injuries (it wont always float up) I honestly cant see why they woulnt get snagged. That said I can only remember it "seeming" to occur the once, mostly the duck comes up a gutter or hides under the edge undercut. A lot of old wifes tales turn up with some truth in them but who knows for sure

In my experience, wounded duck on water go to land and wounded duck on land go to water, both ending up in the marginal edge.

not when there is a dog after it they just try to evade it, agree mostly with what you say otherwise. Teal often get out of the water and travel considerable distance on land if left lightly wounded, these are so easy lost and it takes a good dog to follow what scent remains if you wait and clear up after the flight

I have had the same with winged tiped wgeon getting out of the far side of a creek and running like hell across the top of the marsh. A few years ago I had a bird that unfortunetly the dog lost. It was a 50 yard wide creek 15 feet deep with a tide rip on the near side bank. I could not get any closer due to a large side creek. The dog scented the wigeon and it jumped back into the water. As soon as the dog entered the water the water was so fast she could not catch up with the diving duck and the dog was too close to shoot again when it surfaced. Once the dog lost track of it the duck crepted back out of the water and hid at the top of the bank. Calling the dog back I put her back in the right area and as she got close to it the duck jumped back into the water. And so on , this was repeated several times in the next half an hour and eventualy we had to give up on it.

Edited by anser2

So where does any of the above fit in with the self drowning duck theory?

firstly tell me why its not feasible? I have never heard it said they do so to kill themselves intentionally rather than be taken this is something only lemings and humans are known to do as far as I am aware . In fact just the other day on the marsh the dog found a goosander dead perfectly wedged under an overhang of two rocks and it set me thinking on this subject. Tel me your theory of how that happened to be there because I have mine- it went in chasing a fish and got stuck fast tide was only recently gone the duck was fresh and dead ducks float (unless they are stuck when they die, why is it a duck cannot get under something or otherwise get fast underwater and expire of its wounds or drown?). When police search a river for a body they don't only look downstream in the edges, having once been stuck fast myself in a rising tide in fishing gear I had to cut my way out

I have had exactly one incident going on for 30 yrs ago now with a mallard on a clear spate river, both sides there was no undercut and the grass was heavily grazed both sides. The bird I shot dove in a deep salmon hole were it fell never to rise again, I do not feel ducks intentionally kill themselves to escape capture I do think they die underwater and don't resurface. I only wish I took a photo of that goosander in its final resting place, but still it puts my mind at some rest about what "might occur" not that its a major reason for lost duck

Of course there is always something in old wives tales and the like, just not always as they are portrayed that's all

So based solely on one incident and a chance happening across a dead goosander you have come to this conclusion and you want me to explain exactly why it can't or doesn't happen? Your original statement was that you had a belief that wounded duck held onto the bottom to evade capture and drowned themselves in the process. You now appear to have changed your tune somewhat. I've seen nothing to prove you right and by the look of it neither have you. Several posters have given you an alternative to your theory but of course you know better!!

Edited by Reabrook

So based solely on one incident and a chance happening across a dead goosander you have come to this conclusion and you want me to explain exactly why it can't or doesn't happen? Your original statement was that you had a belief that wounded duck held onto the bottom to evade capture and drowned themselves in the process. You now appear to have changed your tune somewhat. I've seen nothing to prove you right and by the look of it neither have you. Several posters have given you an alternative to your theory but of course you know better!!

No your just reading more into my words evading capture and committing intentional suicide are different things, I should normally have thought twice about the dead goosander but my thoughts with that mallard were more towards in getting entangled because lets face it if not it should still float. Its no big thing either way - I think it was actually you who made it so with a closed mind remark originally. Yes on the day in question another gun put his dog in and came up with the statement I was about 18 at the time