Anyone keep quails??

Archie-fox

Thinking of building a run in my garden to house about 6-8 quails...

Anyone else keep them? Any tips for a beginner..

I'm reading pleanty on the Internet but you can't beat experience...

I've got quite a large garden so space isn't a problem...can build any size run from 5ft to 25ft but just looking to keep them in a nice run, away from the local foxes...

Any tips? Or hints?

Rich.

I've got half a dozen and they basiclly look after themselves. I keep mine in a run made from 3, 8' pen sections (the two ends cut a section in half) and keep half of it covered from the elements. I did make a house for them but they've never used and seem happy enough outside. One tip I would give is to make it rat proof. I put weld mesh on the floor as I lost some a few years back through rats digging holes and killing the birds. Prepare for plenty of eggs (start laying about 8 weeks), I usually boil mine and pickle them. If you need any more info give me a shout and I'll help you the best I can.

I've got half a dozen and they basiclly look after themselves. I keep mine in a run made from 3, 8' pen sections (the two ends cut a section in half) and keep half of it covered from the elements. I did make a house for them but they've never used and seem happy enough outside. One tip I would give is to make it rat proof. I put weld mesh on the floor as I lost some a few years back through rats digging holes and killing the birds. Prepare for plenty of eggs (start laying about 8 weeks), I usually boil mine and pickle them. If you need any more info give me a shout and I'll help you the best I can.

Cheers mate..

What breed should I be looking at to start with?

I've bred, kept hundreds upon hundreds of quail, are you planing on hatching ur own? U want a breed called texas A & M. They are a big white feathered quail with black blobs on, fantastic duel purpose bird, eats well and lays fantastic, start laying at 6 to 7 weeks old. eBay for eggs. Not too noisy, live on a small housing estate, never any problem. Rich1985.

Edited by rich1985

He is not anyway

my neighbour loves me, he watches me with my top off sunbathing!!!! :no::no::no:

I've bred, kept hundreds upon hundreds of quail, are you planing on hatching ur own? U want a breed called texas A & M. They are a big white feathered quail with black blobs on, fantastic duel purpose bird, eats well and lays fantastic, start laying at 6 to 7 weeks old. eBay for eggs. Not too noisy, live on a small housing estate, never any problem. Rich1985.

thanks mate, i was looking at the texas breed...

only want 6-8 of them to keep me interested, dont think the wife would like me eating any tho lol,

my neighbour loves me, he watches me with my top off sunbathing!!!! :no::no::no:

thanks mate, i was looking at the texas breed...

only want 6-8 of them to keep me interested, dont think the wife would like me eating any tho lol,

Just tell her that it broke its leg and had to be put out of misery, and then you thought you shouldn't let it's life go to waste...

Just tell her that it broke its leg and had to be put out of misery, and then you thought you shouldn't let it's life go to waste...

Good plan!!! BBQ them, lush! Get them a & m birds mate, brilliant, if you only want eggs just get hens, no noise hardly at all. Best of luck, they are great little birds.

Spot on about rats, and avoid alpine cages as crows love pulling there heads off,a cold wind can be a killer so adding a strip of wood at the bottom of your run so they can get behind it.

Adding foliage small bushes they love. They lay anywhere and rarely go broody but every so often if kept in a natural run will appear with a clutch.

Good luck they are jumpy but can be trained to feed from your hand.

John.

Friend of mine got really into it - he is a geneticist and was deeply into breeding lines and would bore anyone who would listen. You would think he was breeding racehorses. Anyhow, he eventually lost interest an neighbours were a bit grumpy about the noise, so he decided to keep peacocks and peahens instead....

Nick

Had some European quail and also hatched and kept bobwhites. I'd keep the bobwhites again. They have a nice call and were easy to keep. Fed both types on egg layers and got plenty of eggs off them for salads. Ended up doing a deal with the butcher..quail eggs in exchange for meat..was a good deal! Most got snaffled by a stray dog that came up from a path near my house and it broke into the run..

We had quail for a while but I cant remember what breed they were. We had 6 in a run that was W1200 x D1200 x H400 up on legs so the kids could look at them out the window and they did fine. The only thing I struggled with was finding food for them but I am sure that wont be a problem down on the mainland.

High ammonia droppings, need keeping clean regularly or they stink. They also like sand to scratch in.

I've got a book on them somewhere if I can find it I'll post it to you if you want.

John.

That would be cool, thanks mate..if you find it drop me a message and il send you my address..

Just been to look at some quail runs this morning..all sorts of fancy things out there..thinking about making my own tho.,