Savage, sabbati , howa , browning centre fires

team tractor

I've seen a savage for combo for £500 in .223 but are they any good the same as sabbati ? I'd had my heart set on a howa but I'm undecided .

I've also seen an abolt at £650 full set up but are they any good.

Please only comment if you've owned them

Cheers

Edited by team tractor

I have a pair of Savages in 6mmBR and 6.5x284 and have had a Howa 1500 in .243.

The Howa was a pretty, handy little rifle. It had a thumbhole stock and heavy stainless barrel.

The factory trigger is adjustable to a point but only so-so. The stainless was prone to rust unless you treated just like a blued rifle. The receiver scope mounting holes were drilled off line. Accuracy was OK'ish but about 1 moa was about the best I could screw out of it even with a bedding job and a lot of load development. It had a 1-10 barrel and struggled to stabilise any bullet over 95 grains.

I love the Savages - Admittedly they are heavy target type rifles but stunningly accurate. I have just recently shot a Savage .223 sporting rifle and now seriously considering getting one. As I built my 6mmbr out of bits I like the idea that you can change the barrel with a spanner and no smithing charges required.

th_DSCF0378-2.jpg

5 shots at 220yards

th_Snap_20121226_19h54m09s_001_zpscefa16

I've got the browning a bolt in 223 and 243, changed the trigger springs and now they are cracking rifles, was good anyway for £500 each brand new, I just like a lighter trigger,

Bro in law has a savage in 223 he ain't too impressed with it, feels cheap

Atb

Flynny

I've seen a savage for combo for £500 in .223 but are they any good the same as sabbati ? I'd had my heart set on a howa but I'm undecided .

I've also seen an abolt at £650 full set up but are they any good.

Please only comment if you've owned them

Cheers

ive got the howa in 223.cracking gun for the money.i also looked at the savage,but handling them side by side the howa was the one for me.a few people are not keen on the Hogue stocks but im well happy with mine,,,,,

I have the Howa 1500 in 308 cal very accurate but in 223 and 243 i have both them in Tikka T3 lite like them all..

The Howa was bought as a range gun with heavy duty barrel and 10 shot mag, I have just changed stocks on it and put on a GRS one... :good::good::good: