CSA or today's equivalent

chrisjh

Looking for some PW advise for my niece 23, she has recently split from her partner of 4 years, they have an 8 month old baby her now ex partner 23 has moved back home as has she.

I suspect the answer will ultimately be see a solicitor or CAB etc but a good few on here who do have some knowledge so thought it would be worth asking, they both work he earns between £900 & £1200 net per month (depending on overtime) she is on about £1000 pm net, he has offered £150 per month as maintenance, this feels light to me, they have nothing to split all items divided up equally when they handed back rental house.

His view she should top up extra from state handouts single parent etc, she doesn't want to live of handouts what would CSA or its equivalent today be looking for from an absent parent.

i know its not about blame but for clarity he walked out decided he was to young to be tied down, he has child once a week over night, niece and her mum look after baby 6 days a week.

thoughts on what he would pay if he was put through the system

Try this calculator on the direct gov site. I've never had to go through it so have no experience but this should help give you a ball park figure.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

EDIT: Just worked mine out as an example and i have 2 kids on about £430 a week before tax so would have to pay £59 a week or £238 on average

EDIT2: Didn't realise it said gross pay per week so i have edited above to allow for this, BTW im slightly new school and not secretive about what i earn so dont mind people seeing/working out how much i earn.

Edited by Brooksy789

Brooksy789

You beat me to it as was just searching through my old bookmarks as went through this along time ago with my gf's ex.

Put it this way, if he thinks he will get away with paying just £150 then he must also beleive that Man U are gonna win the title this year too.......

Ps, Solicitor if they have assets to divide. CAB if it raining and they need somewhere dry to sit ( basic non legally binding info only-but its better thsn nothing)

First port of call is the CSA if he is renaging on his responsibilities--- kiddies aint just for xmas you know

Edited by Jaymo

Looking at the Direct Gov site putting in the information the OP gave he would be looking at paying £27 a week for 1 child so maybe the £150 a week offer he gave might be the better option? That was based on farther having the child 2 times a week, if he has him 1 a week or less he will pay £32 a week so still less than the original offer?

As said i havent had to go through this so could be wrong.

Edited by Brooksy789

From what I understand, I would steer clear of CSA/CMS and try to come up with an seperate agreement (could be a binding separation agreement). Use the calculator to work out the amount and pay direct as per separation agreement. If you use CSA/CMS the receiving partner will receive slightly less (fees) and the paying partner will also have to pay fees. The only winner here is the CSA/CMS.

I have my kids 12 days a month and don't have to pay anything if I don't want to when I spoke to the courts but I do anyway as they are my kids.

My only gripe is the ex wastes it on fags and takeaways.

£150 for one kid is more than a lot pay trust me and considering single parents get the following benefits

This is my ex .......

No rent to pay

£25 a month council tax

Child benefit

Job seekers

Free prescriptions

Free eye tests

Free dental

Enough money to buy100 fags a week

Sorry but It makes me angry when they try to bleed the bloke dry :(

My ex left me because I constantly work but that's life .( she came from a dole dosser family)

If my kids need something extra the ex will ask and I'll pay direct to the shops

It cost me £3k just to get to see my kids :(

A lad that worked for me paid £50 a week and after fees his ex got £20

Edited by team tractor

Do your very best to avoid the CSA completely. Nobody wins when they are involved.

Whatever figure you come to you will think it too little, he will think it too much. That is how it is.

It doesn't matter why they split up, it takes two to make the relationship work and there are always two sides to the tale. They both went into it with their eyes open.

Best advice is ignore the finances just make a big deal of how the kid is looked after, do anything you can to make sure the little'un is well looked after (not doubting it will be). Giving your time is way more important than anyone giving their money.

Good advice thanks PW i will pass it on, I know she has a savings account set up for baby and puts something away every month, her ex partner is going to have baby one work day per week and a Friday or Saturday evening, he wants to be part of the child's life and that's good, she has just qualified as a teacher and will be working full time in a year she is also an absolutely lovely girl and in time will find Mr Right.

Thanks PW

Edited by chrisjh

I looked into all this a few months ago and also spoke to a solictor and CAB etc

£150 a month is a very good offer and more than the sites recommend....

As said try not to involve the "CSA" as they do take fees and can be a pain..

At least he still wants to be involved and making a go of it...who knows..in a few months/years things might work out

Hi Chris, shame it didn't work out for them, avoid csa like the plague, as to getting handouts off the govt it is an entitlement, she has trained to be a teacher and not lounging about being bone idle, obviously a lass with a good work ethic, so take what your due and try to keep it amicable, involving 3rd parties usually ends up with someone being bitter about the outcome and resenting the other person, this affects the little un more than anyone else. The offer is a good one, set up the direct debit and get on with life is my advice. All the best to them and hope she enjoys the teaching career.

S

On the wage he is on, I would say that £150 is a very reasonable amount (as long as he continues to pay it). I have been screwed by the CSA and know that the money you pay does not always go to the kids. I was paying £690 right up until my 2 x boys were 18 years old (the hard thing to fathom out was that the money did not change even though they have 2 years between each other in age). Having spoke to my ex the most she ever received was £550 (can't obviously confirm this but why would she lie now after it being stopped for 4 years). Please advise your niece if they can come to an amicable agreement then go with that. The CSA only compound the situation and no one ends up being a winner.

Edited by Blunderbust