Walkers, what is it about Em?

kent

Just sat here and a pensioner in a cagoule just turned up in my back garden. Already lost, already telling me what the map says (it don't but they just plain cant read them). Its been slashing it down for hours and they are about to cross about 4 miles of muddy moorland in ankle boots no gaiters, thin summer pants etc. I doubt either of them is under 70, mobile phone service is non existent.

Oh thus far they are 150 yards from a proper tarmac road, my wife thinks I am becoming Victor Meldrew but should these people actually attempt do this sort of thing without a guide? should Fell and Mountain rescue start charging those more inept once they have been warned their actions might not be wise? under the given circumstances I shouldn't take that path myself without good reason and certainly not if I was that bad with a map without knowing how to use it and bad weather.

Or do they just feel the maps are just a loose guide and accident only occur to others?

In my opinion people should be charged for being rescued from situations caused by there own stupidity and lack of competence!
RNLI, Mountain Rescue, SAR from police, fire, coast guard, ambulance and air ambulance etc should all be able to charge idiots. Maybe some would think twice before landing themselves in these situations or if not …at least when charged some income can be made for better training and equipment so that tax payers aren’t picking up the tab for others stupidity.

ATB

Matt

OK, they're ill-equiped, lost, unprepared etc. But at least they're out there not sitting on a sofa watching the Jeremy Kyle show. They obviously need help and guidance. I can understand the anger about them but at least they're active which in this day and age is all too rare. Constantly amazes me the lengths some pople go to to avoid even walking an extra few yards.

Edited by TriBsa

OK, they're ill-equiped, lost, unprepared etc. But at least they're out there not sitting on a sofa watching the Jeremy Kyle show. They obviously need help and guidance. I can understand the anger about them but at least they're active which in this day and age is all too rare.

Ah, perhaps I should post a picture of their route? trust me in front of the TV might stop someone else having to trudge out to carry them off or yet another helicopter. The problem is they look for paths and I think the driveway and building draws them like a moth to a flame, you see they don't get compass bearings and other indications

OK, they're ill-equiped, lost, unprepared etc. But at least they're out there not sitting on a sofa watching the Jeremy Kyle show. They obviously need help and guidance. I can understand the anger about them but at least they're active which in this day and age is all too rare. Constantly amazes me the lengths some pople go to to avoid even walking an extra few yards.

:good: yep if they genuinely are at least 70 cut them a little slack for having the spirit to get out rather than sit and wait their old age out, remember the only thing good about old age is the fact it does not last long.

KW

:good: yep if they genuinely are at least 70 cut them a little slack for having the spirit to get out rather than sit and wait their old age out, remember the only thing good about old age is the fact it does not last long.

KW

you right on that one if they attempt things like this, thing is we have miles of tracked walks locally with little posts telling you how far and which way next.

What about rabbit and pheasant flavour crisps. A new range called back to nature. :)

You have just reminded me there are 3 different lots of savoury snacks in the top cupboard. The only thing stopping me is the smell of the casserole in the slow cooker is more appealing.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Am all for them getting out and about but they could join a local ramblers group and learn from those who are in the know and who can look after the less-able.

ATB

Matt

yes, my point is not " ger off mi land" its common sense over what can be dangerous ground. experienced walkers in good shape with the right gear and the ability at map reading wouldn't have tried it today

At least they had the decency to ask before maybe getting into trouble. If you don't try you never achieve anything.

Hate to think your a person who is an expert before doing anything, your wife is right your a victor meldrew :lol:

I regularly go hill walking and always wear shorts even when going through snow and ice on the higher reaches to get to the top, I am warm blooded and sweat my nads off if put to much clothing on. I do however carry water proof jacket a fleece and a survival bag among a lot of other stuff.

You don't say how warm it was just that it's raining or how high they planned on going or how far.

If they keep turning up as regular as you say start doing afternoon tea and make a few bob :good:

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Around here they're known as 'crag rats', but I have to confess that even those who don't really know what they're doing are mostly well equipped. You do get the occasional one airlifted off the Fells when the mist descends suddenly "well it was such a nice day when we set off" but it's quite rare nowadays.

At least they had the decency to ask before maybe getting into trouble. If you don't try you never achieve anything.

Hate to think your a person who is an expert before doing anything, your wife is right your a victor meldrew :lol:

I regularly go hill walking and always wear shorts even when going through snow and ice on the higher reaches to get to the top, I am warm blooded and sweat my nads off if put to much clothing on. I do however carry water proof jacket a fleece and a survival bag among a lot of other stuff.

You don't say how warm it was just that it's raining or how high they planned on going or how far.

If they keep turning up as regular as you say start doing afternoon tea and make a few bob :good:

Figgy

Oh no I had to open the window and ask her what she thought she was doing wandering aimlessly around my back garden. The walk they were attempting is about 4-5 miles but very hard going mud (some deep) rushes, it was raining hard and windy if you hurt yourself and couldn't walk bad enough to create real issues 850 ft were we are but there is quite a climb after us

Around here they're known as 'crag rats', but I have to confess that even those who don't really know what they're doing are mostly well equipped. You do get the occasional one airlifted off the Fells when the mist descends suddenly "well it was such a nice day when we set off" but it's quite rare nowadays.

Yeah that's more a North Yorkshire term, not that we are far off the border. I have had a lot of funny experiances but of late we have been having a few loonies, one was setting off on the same walk with an hour of light the other night alone without a coat