Pole fishing

30-6

Not that I have ever tried it, but does anybody do it?

Personally I can't see any fun in it myself.

Not knocking it but give me a reel anyday.

Perfect for placing your gear right behind a clump of weed time after time in exactly the same spot :good:

I get HOURS of enjoyment from pole fishing. But then a guy told me there are no sharks to EAT the poles i put on the hook :good:

I use the Pole for near ALL my float fishing now and other than that i just use the feeder rod :good:

I have heard of people using the Pole for PIKE fishing :good:

Bit too far for me though.

LG

i use mine when im match fishing quality piece of kit you have less line on the water less line to pick up when you strike and yo can drop bait using a put and fish exactly the same place all day or when fishing canals upto boats you can touch the far bank where you wouldnt be able to get that close with rod n reel and you can hold back when canal/river fishing as theres very little line on the water has loads of advantages against a rod but then it can have disadvantages aswell like windy days trying to fish long distance pole gets batterd blown all over the place but if ya wanna fish very light tackle for small carp/fish get ya self 1 get power sections for carping aswell mines 16m maver has 2 match and 4power top kits all can be rigged up ready in less than 10 mins

We use 3 metre whips when catching bait for pike fishing, and you can't beat them for speed when you want to whip as many as possible out in the shortest possible time.

I caught a jack on mine last summer by mistake, but luckily it bit through the line, I realy didn't want my whip busted :unsure:

I fished for Humberside for many years and used the pole all the time.

You cannot uses a bteter tool for near perfect bait presentation, and cupping out bait......when fisning at 11meters plus, you can lay the pole in the water...and it will float.....

Great for small to medium sized fish...but obviously you change the strength of elastic to suit the type of fish in eeh water you are fishing.

Was once fishing the Keadby Canal on light gear 2lb main 1.5lb bottom.. catching small silver fish on pinkies when I bumbed into a rougue carp weighing 17lb......took about 3 hours to land it and about 20 trips up and down the canal!!!

Great fun them there poles

I use a pole from time to time mainly on the canal. As others have said, bait presentation is very good and varying elastic strengths allow complete flexibility over the strength and size of terminal tackle.

That said. I find the pole all but useless on anything other than slow or still water.

I am a big big fan of stick float fishing which beleive it or not is a dying art. Some of my biggest Roach have come to a stick float with a small piece of breadflake or single caster just held back against the flow with a 2 or 3 bb wire stemmed stick.

My biggest to date was a 2lb 12 oz fin perfect beauty from downstream of Malmesbury on the Bristol Avon.

I couldnt have caught it on a pole, but then again I couldnt haul out 100lb of 2 to 3lb stock carp with a stick float from a muddy hole in the ground.

Its definately horses for courses and there are times when the pole is an absolute killer and in the right hands can be very productive indeed.

All fisherman should carry one.

FM.

I use a pole from time to time mainly on the canal. As others have said, bait presentation is very good and varying elastic strengths allow complete flexibility over the strength and size of terminal tackle.

That said. I find the pole all but useless on anything other than slow or still water.

I am a big big fan of stick float fishing which beleive it or not is a dying art. Some of my biggest Roach have come to a stick float with a small piece of breadflake or single caster just held back against the flow with a 2 or 3 bb wire stemmed stick.

My biggest to date was a 2lb 12 oz fin perfect beauty from downstream of Malmesbury on the Bristol Avon.

I couldnt have caught it on a pole, but then again I couldnt haul out 100lb of 2 to 3lb stock carp with a stick float from a muddy hole in the ground.

Its definately horses for courses and there are times when the pole is an absolute killer and in the right hands can be very productive indeed.

All fisherman should carry one.

FM.

I'm with you on that one Mike.....................trotting on a slow river.........great.....never ben a bivvy boy, neither do I like 'Stew pond'..give me a drain, river, old gravel pit any day............................tight lines :lol:

I have got a old pole for tiggler bashing & passing time through the day when i'm carp fishing through the night. I could not use one all the time thoe, I think it takes all the fun out of playing the fish with rod and line.

they have got there advantages no diubt about it. there grate for bate place ment and being 100% sure you are fishing in the same spot every time.

and a must for getting a few quick live/dead bates for a piking trip ;)

I must admit I would rather be a bivvy boy with my rod and line <_<

kipper :(

I was always into rod and reel. Used to look down on pole fisherman. . . . .untill I got one. They are amazing bits of kit. I actually caught a 20lb 1oz carp on 14 elastic to 4.5lb main line. I use the pole for ALL my float fishing nowadays but I still love to do a bit of tench/bream bashing on the feeder! Funny how there is alot of people on here that share the same hobbies (fishing/shooting)!

Tight lines people! :good: