Be careful guys!

Anything that CAN go wrong WILL go wrong eventually. You can only try and be careful. Problems occour more often than you might think but usually not with serious consequences. Anyone who has ever worked in a gunshop will have seen rifles brought in because the owner "cant open the bolt"

Absolutely.

U.

Can some one tell me what and how this has happened?

Exactly what happened :

The reloader had 2 tubs of powder on the bench at the same time. One of which was a pistol powder, one was a rifle powder.

Different powders work differently, whether you're reloading for shotgun, pistol or rifle. He's used the pistol powder in the rifle recipe, and the overpressure that has resulted could quite easily have killed him.

Basically, if you are going to reload, then only ever have 1 type of primer, 1 type of case, 1 type of powder, 1 type of bullet, out at once. Check when you get the items out, check when you put them on the bench, check before you start. Check the powder throw regularly. Check when you've reloaded a few rounds. Check if you have a break for a coffee. Check at the end, when you pack everything away. Check-weigh completed rounds for consistency. If unsure on what something is, destroy it.

It is so incredibly easy to make a mistake, unless you follow rules absolutely. One mistake or distraction can be fatal.

Can some one tell me what and how this has happened?

Modern powders, nitro, smokeless are often referred to being fast or slow. A pistol with a short barrel needs a fast powder, a powder that burns quickly, gets pressure up quickly. To much of it and it will want to burst the gun.

Rifles with their longer barrels can use the length to more progressively accelerate the bullet to greater speeds over a pistol so they have a larger case to hold a large amount of slower powder, one that burns over a longer time.

When one fills a large case with to much of a too fast a powder disaster looms!

This is one reason heated discussions arise over reduce loads in rifles as they often use fast for the case powders and the risk of double dosing!

A bit more is involved but I hope this helps.

U.

Guest cookoff013

Modern powders, nitro, smokeless are often referred to being fast or slow. A pistol with a short barrel needs a fast powder, a powder that burns quickly, gets pressure up quickly. To much of it and it will want to burst the gun.

Rifles with their longer barrels can use the length to more progressively accelerate the bullet to greater speeds over a pistol so they have a larger case to hold a large amount of slower powder, one that burns over a longer time.

When one fills a large case with to much of a too fast a powder disaster looms!

This is one reason heated discussions arise over reduce loads in rifles as they often use fast for the case powders and the risk of double dosing!

A bit more is involved but I hope this helps.

U.

Now while i dont agree with everything UD says, i have to throw my tuppence in to this. a pistol with a short or long barrel needs enough powder / gas to get the bullet to the end of the barrel, and to the target.

when buying pistol cartridges such as the .357M and 38spl. they are not designated pistol or rifle only. lever guns Vs revolvers....

rifle bullets are inherently faster because they have more gas volume behind, the rifle cases hold more powder so can shoot bullets faster.

when one fills a cartridge case with too much of any powder disaster looms.

the reason there are heated discussions is people rely on one piece of information and hold true that its gospel truth, when often it can be a 1/2 truth or 0.5 lie.

coo

Guest cookoff013

also,

the guy said he dumped the powder in a powder measure and went at it.

if he had weighed the powder that was measured it may have shown a different weight that he had wanted, being that the powders may have been different densitys....

fair play to the guy for going public.

Ok, who has ever got a knife out to put sugar in a brew or a spoon to butter their toast, come out of the toolbox with a Philips screwdriver when you actually needed a 1/2" spanner ? Ever pulled out or into a junction and missed seeing the obvious? or you perhaps walk into a room with purpose and then forget what that purpose was when you get in there? There is a whole heap of dumb stuff we all do accidently, yes I have even seen some so called "fool" drive a staple into their finger while fiddling at their desk with the staple gun! No it wasn't me and I promise you he was no fool just a human suffering from a brain disconnect moment.

When we are at the loading bench we should not be tired, should not have had any alcohol are likely to be distracted by others blah, blah, blah. Fact is it happens more often when we break procedure more often than when we don't. Its comparable to safe gun handling! So don't break procedure, check and recheck things you already "know" are correct and one day you will prove yourself wrong

Accidents happen to us all, good might come of his post so perhaps its best not to insult the guy

Ok, who has ever got a knife out to put sugar in a brew or a spoon to butter their toast, come out of the toolbox with a Philips screwdriver when you actually needed a 1/2" spanner ? Ever pulled out or into a junction and missed seeing the obvious? or you perhaps walk into a room with purpose and then forget what that purpose was when you get in there? There is a whole heap of dumb stuff we all do accidently, yes I have even seen some so called "fool" drive a staple into their finger while fiddling at their desk with the staple gun! No it wasn't me and I promise you he was no fool just a human suffering from a brain disconnect moment.

When we are at the loading bench we should not be tired, should not have had any alcohol are likely to be distracted by others blah, blah, blah. Fact is it happens more often when we break procedure more often than when we don't. Its comparable to safe gun handling! So don't break procedure, check and recheck things you already "know" are correct and one day you will prove yourself wrong

Accidents happen to us all, good might come of his post so perhaps its best not to insult the guy

+1

Murphy and Sod are always there awaiting their chance.

well said , accidents DO happen ...............that's why they invented a pencil with a rubber on the end !

Now while i dont agree with everything UD says, i have to throw my tuppence in to this. a pistol with a short or long barrel needs enough powder / gas to get the bullet to the end of the barrel, and to the target.

when buying pistol cartridges such as the .357M and 38spl. they are not designated pistol or rifle only. lever guns Vs revolvers....

rifle bullets are inherently faster because they have more gas volume behind, the rifle cases hold more powder so can shoot bullets faster.

when one fills a cartridge case with too much of any powder disaster looms.

the reason there are heated discussions is people rely on one piece of information and hold true that its gospel truth, when often it can be a 1/2 truth or 0.5 lie.

coo

Cookie, the part where you say fill a case with to much of any powder disaster looms is wrong bud. You can fill a case with powder and disaster won't loom.

Its only when one puts to much of a fast powder in the wrong case or not enough of certain sphericals.

U.