Catholic Christmas dinner?

Winston72

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why ? Religious people of all faiths are not supposed to do a lot of things, but that has never stopped them. If you do go and confess job done.

Its a curiosity, Friday is a day of abstinence, Christmas, a day of celebration, so what happens when they cross paths? Before anyone gets on a high horse not having a pop at Catholics,its a genuine curiosity

Brought up Catholic, was an alter boy for a couple of years, no before you ask was never fiddled with, but now an atheist. Hate the **********.

happy Xmas

why hate the ***********?

No idea mate, but I must admit I ain't religious , but we do eat fish on a Friday( not religiously ha ha)I didn't know it was a day of abstinence.

Just brought up that way no meat on a Friday just fish ( and no we ain't a tribe of bible bashers) ( no offence meant to any religious factions)

Interesting question ,

Anyone got a decent answer?

Atb

Flynny

Fourty one posts?

Talking about eating meat on a Friday?

Using religion to do so?

The Popes mob have just found untold millions of pounds 'Tucked Away' in the Coffers of Rome!

Why not go their forum?

They might sort your Christmas Lunch out for you?

Or you could have Otter, that tastes like a cross of meat and fish.

Or just eat Fish and be quiet about your beliefs?

Trolling maybe?

Or will I get a prize for the most Question Marks?

Merry Christmas Dinner-Not.

Fourty one posts?

Using religion to do so?

The Popes mob have just found untold millions of pounds 'Tucked Away' in the Coffers of Rome!

Why not go their forum?

Trolling maybe?

Merry Christmas Dinner-Not. ???

??? Edited by maxie

???

If we could only remove religion from this planet we would be half way there.

Do this, do that , eat this, don't eat that.Wear this don't wear that.

You all know it makes no sense, but instead atrocities take place every day because of someone's God.

I'm done now.Eat what you want this Christmas, just enjoy it.

Fourty one posts?

Using religion to do so?

Why not go their forum?

Trolling maybe?

Merry Christmas Dinner-Not.

Trolling??? its a genuine question,in the off topic forum, why does this offend you? i'm not spouting my beliefs just asking a question,and if everyone stayed silent about thoughts and beliefs religious or otherwise people would have very little to say to each other, 41 posts??? get a grip man

Although there were very few Catholics at our school i can recall that it was always fish on Fridays at school dinners. Until told otherwise by a Pope in the 60s or 70s Catholics did not meat meat on Fridays.

Blackpowder

I believe back then the CofE called for the same observance

Just had a quick look at the Catholic pages website and it says this:

"Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Canon Law still requires that Catholics not eat meat on Fridays!"

Christmas Day is considered as the nativity of the lord and as such is considered a proper solemnity.

So I guess that Christmas Day is exempt.

Edit to add: I am not a Catholic, in fact not religious at all, so if this info is misleading then no offence intended.

Edited by grrclark

Just had a quick look at the Catholic pages website and it says this:

"Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Canon Law still requires that Catholics not eat meat on Fridays!"

Christmas Day is considered as the nativity of the lord and as such is considered a proper solemnity.

So I guess that Christmas Day is exempt.

Edit to add: I am not a catholic, in fact not religious at all, so if this info is misleading then no offence intended.

a very straight forward answer,you've saved me asking a priest,thank you