Household Electrics

scolopax

I seem to be having a run of problems with the house hold electrics, mainly bulbs blowing.

Last night one of the six GU10 spotlights in the bathroom blew when I turned the switch on, and tripped the fuse for that area, changed the bulb, flicked the trip switch back at the fuse box and no lights.........checked all the other bulbs and replaced them one by one, still no power? So I have reached the end of the line as far as my expertise goes......any advice ???

Edited by scolopax

GU10 downlights as you know get very hot.

hot enough to melt any connectors blocks above them which arn't sat in an enclosure .

looks like you've had a short circut which has either blown the cable feedin em hence no lights ,or the short has blown yer switch so no power.

since ya prob got no tester pull yer lights down to look for heat damage ,if no joy pull switch off with power off and join both cables together to eliminate switch .

power up and see if yer lights come on.

wiggum got a good point ,typical Part P compliance is to install an RCD fused spur for bathroom upgrades worth checking its not tripped or internal fuse gone.

could be located anywhere :|

atb.

Edited by Remimax

Has anyone else noticed that the old type filament bulbs don't last very long nowadays ours seem to last six months if you're lucky. Think I will look into getting some leds

Did they ever? Led can be great but depends on the lamp and the application ....

Volt sticks are ok, a meter is better and will tell you it's dead, a volt stick won't necessarily...

If your using cheap brand gu10 lamps they can occasionally blow a fuse when they blow especially if it's an old weak fuse. You don't tend to get this with your better quality lamps from manufacturers such as. Philips/Islam/GE etc

Think the Islam bulbs might go with a bang!

Try Osram