12 or 20 bore

LThompson

Afternoon,

Im undecided whether to add another 12 bore to my collection or have a 20, I mainly use my guns for clays, pigeons and the odd game day!

What would people recommend?

Cheers

Try a 28 bore before you buy anything else. I bet you don't choose either the 12 or 20. I had a EELL 20 which I had teagued. Beautiful gun which everyone commented on and thought id never put it down and take it to my grave with me........well that was until I bought a bog standard 30 inch SP 28bore (my first one was admittedly on a 20bore action) . I never picked up or fired the EELL again and sold it a year later. I have just traded my original SP 28 bore in after 11 years for a new SP 28 bore on the smaller action and got the 30 inch SP .410 to compliment it. I still have a 12 bore in the cabinet but it only came out once this year when we visited Powys Castle....... and still regretted not taking the 28 bore instead. I'd never dream of taking anything bigger than a 28 bore out of the cabinet unless I know I would be standing under proper high birds.

As the gun will mostly be used for clays I'd say stay 12 bore if you did more game shooting a small bore is a joy.

As above my Beretta 28 bore does a lot of that work except high pheasant days.

If LThompson is talking about competition clays then I agree with sticking to the 12 bore but the fact they're considering a 20 bore suggests that it's likely to be not competition but more likely club/shooting clays for pleasure.

Nothing gives more pleasure than consistently breaking clays with a 28 bore. 21-24grms of #7's give an excellent shot string that very few clays would sneak through...............if you can simply arrange a collision between the two.

If LThompson is talking about competition clays then I agree with sticking to the 12 bore but the fact they're considering a 20 bore suggests that it's likely to be not competition but more likely club/shooting clays for pleasure.

Nothing gives more pleasure than consistently breaking clays with a 28 bore. 21-24grms of #7's give an excellent shot string that very few clays would sneak through...............if you can simply arrange a collision between the two.

Thinking more of the wallet I regularly shoot over a 100 cartridges in a morning the price difference between cheap 12 and 28 is large the difference between a good game shell and a 28 bore game shell is a lot closer.

28g is the bore that is the greatest joy in the world to shoot.

While 20g does have some weight advantages over the 12g - especially lightweight ones - when you pick up a nice 28g its just in a different world.

Modern 28g U/O with 70mm chambers support pigeon loads quite happily, and you only need 24g for clays anyway.

OK, there is a bit of a premium on the cartridges, but its not as bad as some make out, slabs of 28gauge aren't much more than 20g carts, and for the extra pleasure you'd get it's worth paying a few pence more for each shot.

There are a few lumpy entry level 28g guns to avoid, but the better makes have all the same refinements as good 12g.

28g is the bore that is the greatest joy in the world to shoot.

While 20g does have some weight advantages over the 12g - especially lightweight ones - when you pick up a nice 28g its just in a different world.

Modern 28g U/O with 70mm chambers support pigeon loads quite happily, and you only need 24g for clays anyway.

OK, there is a bit of a premium on the cartridges, but its not as bad as some make out, slabs of 28gauge aren't much more than 20g carts, and for the extra pleasure you'd get it's worth paying a few pence more for each shot.

There are a few lumpy entry level 28g guns to avoid, but the better makes have all the same refinements as good 12g.

24 Grammes of #7 shot through a 28 bore can and will smash and kill anything that flies into it.

Edited by Suffolkngood

Go on and treat yourself to a 20b, I did 2 years ago now and now it's all I own, admittedly I don't shoot clays with it.

I started with an early 687 silver pigeon 29.5" fixed choke game gun which you can pick up very reasonably, I've now gone onto a CG Maxum 30" multi choke game gun which I must say is a very nice gun to shoot.

I set out with all intense purposes to buy the Browning 725 Hunter in 20b which they had in stock but after handling the two the browning was not an option.

I would say have a good look round and if possible shoot a few, then once you've sorted the gun the next problem will be which cartridges to use!!!

I was only making the point that 24grms of #7's will cover everything he says he wants to shoot at without the need to buy different loads.

I prefer 21 grms of #7's for partridge days and yes 19grms makes shooting clays very comfortable.

I knew what you meant just making the point (badly) that there is a nice choice of loads for the 28.

I knew what you meant just making the point (badly) that there is a nice choice of loads for the 28.

It's got to be the most satisfying and capable gauge to shoot. There are very few situations wher it wouldn't be my gun of choice. Just bought a .410 for next years partridge and early pheasant days but took it out for the afternoon drives before Christmas and 19grms of #7 still killed consistently.

The 28 bore patterned so much better and more consistently than any 12 or 20 I have owned.

Ive just bought a 12 bore semi auto so, it was a case of looking to replace the over the under either with a newer 12 or a 20! Ive never shot or know of anyone who shoots a 28!

I loved my AL391 deluxe sporter when I used to do the open clay circuit and the third shot capability often put the extra pigeon in the bag.