Off to Florida...

timb

Happy New Year everyone,

Im taking the wife and three boys to Florida for a fortnight in May, I'd like us all to have a go on a pistol / rifle range if possible. Has anybody got any experience / suggestions for us ? Will I have to book in advance, or are there lots of places to have a go ? Any advise would be very welcome. We'll be staying in Kissimmee.

Thanks,

Timb

Yes was there in match brilliant place there is a few cant think of the names people on here will be able to tell you if i was you i would put this post in the off topic .i think more people will see it also enjoy mate best place i have been your kids will love it theres plenty off places to visit just not the big attractions .

Have a look on this link, there is footage of my son aged about 10 shooting a Colt 1911 at the Oakridge shooting range, very easy to find and in the Orlando area, many handguns and rifles to choose from. We spend about 2 or 3 hours there and cost me about $100 in rental and ammo. When you are bored with one weapon go to the desk and swap for something else.

I took my good lady to the Orlando gun club last October, you just had to fill some forms in on a iPad and take some id, they do a quick check on you asking things like your experience with firearms etc then crack on...... They will come onto the range with you for 5 mins if you've got no experience with a hand gun, but there very relaxed, as others have said when you get there get on of the "what to do in Florida" magazine's they are everywhere as they have discounts in them, think I saved about 50 dollars.... It was the wife's first time firing a handgun and she was very apprehensive about going.... Couldn't get her off the range in the end she loved it, will be going back later on this year..

somewhere at home, i'm sure ive got a voucher for one of the gun ranges that gives you range hire, full auto sub machine gun and 50 rounds for $50.

if i can find it, i'll post it to you.

if i cant find it, i know for a fact that if you go to 'sizzler' on i-drive that they have the 'whats on in orlando' magazine there (its free) and it has the voucher in it...

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Shot at quite a few places in Orlando, including the Orlando Gun Club, East Orange Shooting Sports and Oakridge. They're all much of a muchness in terms of prices and for the most part are very welcoming of tourists. Had a couple of days at OGC this last visit and found that some of the staff were friendly and helpful but a couple were much less so. In fact they were arrogant and seemed put out by us. I wouldn't choose to go back again. On the other hand I've never had a bad experience at East Orange Shooting Sports whom I've shot with a number of times. They're a bit further out but none of them are really central to Intl Drive, so whichever you choose will involve a little bit of a drive. Whoever you end up going with, take photo ID, make sure you are wearing proper shoes (no sandals or flip flops) and no vests. Have fun. It's hard not to enjoy it. I guess like everything, different people, different days, different results. We all have off days. :)

Oh and +1 for the BassPro visit (Opposite side of the road to the Premium Outlets). The shop itself is expensive by US standards but OMG it's heaven to walk around, so much to see! From an aisle with boats and quads to racks of guns or bows. Awesome place. Walmart for men lol.

timb, ive looked everywhere for that damn voucher and cant find it. sorry fella!

and as for the shopping list.... we went to bass pro first thing on our first day. i walked out $400 lighter.

very easy to spend big money in there!

wait till you see the rows of handguns in the glass counter... dribble...

and if you want to have a look at them the just ask. it was quiet when i was there as it had just opened and i spent a good hour looking at the different guns and chatting with the guy on the counter.

im very jelous!

Edited by brett1985