electic collar

sambo

hi guys im after an electric collar for my ESS but havent a clue which is best have been looking at the canicom 800 but still not sure which to go for?

thanks Sam

Horrible things and I wouldnt have the nerve to post that on here!!! :lol: :( ;) D2D

hi guys im after an electric collar for my ESS but havent a clue which is best have been looking at the canicom 800 but still not sure which to go for?

thanks Sam

Horrible things and I wouldnt have the nerve to post that on here!!! :lol: :( ;) D2D

D2D,

Do you know how the collars work, or the proper way to use one?

NTTF

I can NEVER understand why people want to use these collars, I personally think they should be banned, your dog/pup should do as commanded because he/she WANTS to do for you & is pleased to do for you, NOT because he/she will receive an electric shock if it doesn't obey. Training a pup is EXACTLY the same as teaching a child the basics of life, would you zap a child, NO, then don't zap a pup, patience,love & time is what it takes,& if you haven't all three of these requirements then ,( in my eyes you shouldn't have a pup) perhaps its not the pup that needs training, its the owner. A few years ago, a member of our club used a collar & I said to his face what I thought of him, " THEY DON'T HURT " he replied, so I asked him to put the collar on his wrist & setting it on low I zapped him. He never used that collar from that day forward, & that was on the lowest setting available. Save your money, spend it wisely on a good training manual & most importantly of all, give a thought to your pup, who's going to give you a lifetime of devotion. I quess you may think " WHOE'S THIS GUY ON HIS SOAP-BOX " & thats your perogative, but it's your pup that counts.

I can NEVER understand why people want to use these collars, I personally think they should be banned, your dog/pup should do as commanded because he/she WANTS to do for you & is pleased to do for you, NOT because he/she will receive an electric shock if it doesn't obey. Training a pup is EXACTLY the same as teaching a child the basics of life, would you zap a child, NO, then don't zap a pup, patience,love & time is what it takes,& if you haven't all three of these requirements then ,( in my eyes you shouldn't have a pup) perhaps its not the pup that needs training, its the owner. A few years ago, a member of our club used a collar & I said to his face what I thought of him, " THEY DON'T HURT " he replied, so I asked him to put the collar on his wrist & setting it on low I zapped him. He never used that collar from that day forward, & that was on the lowest setting available. Save your money, spend it wisely on a good training manual & most importantly of all, give a thought to your pup, who's going to give you a lifetime of devotion. I quess you may think " WHOE'S THIS GUY ON HIS SOAP-BOX " & thats your perogative, but it's your pup that counts.

i totaly agree but some people purchese their dogs at all different ages and some are easier to train than otheres.traing a pup in my oppinion is easier to train than an older dog eg 18 mths old etc

Shooting man,

I think you should look at how collars have changed "from a few years ago" and how they should be used correctly to coinside with traditional training methods. Collars are not meant to be painful, but as a que just like a finger poke. Like all training equiptment they can be great aids or they can be abusive, depending on the user.

NTTF

Shooting man,

I think you should look at how collars have changed "from a few years ago" and how they should be used correctly to coinside with traditional training methods. Collars are not meant to be painful, but as a que just like a finger poke. Like all training equiptment they can be great aids or they can be abusive, depending on the user.

NTTF

totaly agree nttf best advice given :(

Have to agree, my mate bought one of these collars, payed about £80+ for it. The big day came, on went the collar, & the dog went from it's normal self, to a pup that would sit in the corner terrified, & shaking wondering what's going on.

Lazy man's way of bullying the dog into submission, do as your told, or I'll zap you. Like the bit with the boot on the other foot, looks like he didn't like it.

If you haven't got time to spend with a dog, why get one, or better still, shouldn't have one.

Needless to say, the collar is confined to the draw, another new fangled device that was a waste of money....!!!

BJ.

Have to agree, my mate bought one of these collars, payed about £80+ for it. The big day came, on went the collar, & the dog went from it's normal self, to a pup that would sit in the corner terrified, & shaking wondering what's going on.

Lazy man's way of bullying the dog into submission, do as your told, or I'll zap you. Like the bit with the boot on the other foot, looks like he didn't like it.

If you haven't got time to spend with a dog, why get one, or better still, shouldn't have one.

Needless to say, the collar is confined to the draw, another new fangled device that was a waste of money....!!!

BJ.

And if the pup was not introduced to a dead collar for 2 weeks before "THE BIG DAY" came but was instead the collar thrown on the dog and no time spent finding the correct level then the dog "turned in to a pup that would sit in the corner terrified, & shaking wondering what's going on" was handler fault and miss use not the collars fault.

Collars are not meant to zap and bully dogs and until people take responsibility for using them wrong, and take the time to learn to use them correctly then they will continue to go on bad mouthing them. Collars are not " a lazy mans way" they are a training aid that can be abused.....as in the above senario....... or used correctly to enhance a training program.

Before you decide that they are horrible ....based on a friend using it incorrectly and abussing his dog through no fault but his own........take the time to learn what a collar is about and the CORRECT way of training with one.

NTTF

BJ.

And if the pup was not introduced to a dead collar for 2 weeks before "THE BIG DAY" came but was instead the collar thrown on the dog and no time spent finding the correct level then the dog "turned in to a pup that would sit in the corner terrified, & shaking wondering what's going on" was handler fault and miss use not the collars fault.

Collars are not meant to zap and bully dogs and until people take responsibility for using them wrong, and take the time to learn to use them correctly then they will continue to go on bad mouthing them. Collars are not " a lazy mans way" they are a training aid that can be abused.....as in the above senario....... or used correctly to enhance a training program.

Before you decide that they are horrible ....based on a friend using it incorrectly and abussing his dog through no fault but his own........take the time to learn what a collar is about and the CORRECT way of training with one.

NTTF

agree nttf, you have to crawl before you walk and the only way to do it is learn correctly (some fall & some dont).

Well Well Well NTTF, haven't I rattled your cage..................... For your Info the dog had a collar long before this collar was introduced, & as for the handlers fault, laught I nearly laid an egg. We've had dogs all our life, I'm 50, & my mates about 55, so before you go on thinking you the know all & end all of dogs, get the facts right.

The term ZAP in an expression over her, & meant as a term, & as for the people to take responsibilty for using them wrong, how do you know it was used wrong, every dog is different, & to there own, this dog didn't take to the collar, & if you have dogs you should know that.

And there you go again, ( based on a friend using it incorrectly and abussing his dog through no fault but his own.) & you can tell this, being halfway round the world in Canada.

I'm by no means against these collars, they will have there uses, but not for this dog.

Maybe you being the EXPERT, you can post a sticky on the How to, & not How to, on Electric Collars.

BJ.

agree nttf, you have to crawl before you walk and the only way to do it is learn correctly (some fall & some dont).

Waiting for the know all STICKY.

BJ,

Mate I am not out for a slagging match. But I am sure you can see how the original post could be miss interpeted, with no further information than ... when the big day arrived etc.. You are correct I do not know the particular dog, nor the person involved, nor you personnally and I am glad that you have had dogs all your life.

As for being the know all and be all of dogs :lol:;);):lol: not even close Mate we all keep learning day in and day out. I f you dont like the training methods I use and pass on or my way o f working with aninals dont use them....oh and this old dog is too tired for any cage rattling :lol::D

If my post offended you than I appoligize.

If you are truly interested in some information on the correct use of a collar I would be happy to put some together from my perspective, however if that was just a snide nasty remark aimed at upsetting me please let me know and I wont bother taking the time.

NTTF :(

Lads, don't make it flamey.

NTTF has forgotten more than most people know about working dogs.

Take the choke chain for example, people have mixed views on that and it's all down to how it is used.

Don't pick it up wrong Mungler, nothing this end flamey, beats me how someone halfway round the world can hold an opinion of someone they don't even know from adam.

BJ.

Lads, don't make it flamey.

NTTF has forgotten more than most people know about working dogs.

Take the choke chain for example, people have mixed views on that and it's all down to how it is used.

Don't pick it up wrong Mungler, nothing this end flamey, beats me how someone halfway round the world can hold an opinion of someone they don't even know from adam.

BJ.

BJ,

No offence meant to you or your Mate, I was just trying to give my analysis of a situation posted. Sorry if I was way off the mark :(

NTTF

thanks Sam

And I still say they should have no place in dog training, I have seen them in action, and yes I am an experienced dog man, but this I know is my personal opinion and no amount of debating would change my view, :good::lol::lol: D2D

Have any of the people who have posted here negatively actually used the collars on themselves?

I have tried the collar on my hand and the only thing I can describe it as being like is inside of electric cigarette lighters when you take them apart and shock yourself with the electric part. Pain wise on the setting I tried (middle of three settings) it was no worse that licking a 9volt battery. I am sure there are more powerful collars out there but each dog will have a different sensory system and each power setting a different use.

The way the video I got with mine explained how to use them was that they are a stimulus with which you can let the dog know you are calling/instructing it, when it is in another world.

I have used an electric collar on my springer. She is still a perfectly healthy dog, a little crazy but show me a springer that isn't.

This whole 'they are bad, ban them' attitude I can only liken to the attitude of the mass public with regard to guns, and we all know what a crock or **** that is. It also reminds me of the whole tail docking issue but that is another kettle of fish.

The chap who started this post simply wanted to know what a good brand of collar is. Hopefully he now has that answer.

BJ,

Mate I am not out for a slagging match. But I am sure you can see how the original post could be miss interpeted, with no further information than ... when the big day arrived etc.. You are correct I do not know the particular dog, nor the person involved, nor you personnally and I am glad that you have had dogs all your life.

As for being the know all and be all of dogs :lol::lol::lol::lol: not even close Mate we all keep learning day in and day out. I f you dont like the training methods I use and pass on or my way o f working with aninals dont use them....oh and this old dog is too tired for any cage rattling :P:P

If my post offended you than I appoligize.

If you are truly interested in some information on the correct use of a collar I would be happy to put some together from my perspective, however if that was just a snide nasty remark aimed at upsetting me please let me know and I wont bother taking the time.

NTTF :good:

good on you nttf i have had doga al my life (gundogs) as i was brought up in a rural community with gamekeepers (family) farmers (family) etc. after all we are all out here to speak our oppinions and profesions (if any known) .we all learn by our mistakes and any good advice given should be taken as advice well told.genuine people only give away genuine advice when feels neccasary to help others in their wrong doings no doubt we have all done wrong sometime in our lives but all advice spoken in my oppinion is good advice as we are all here to live-learn-and give what we can 9there are a lot of people who don.t have the opportunity to do this). good on you nttf.

regards

robert

must admit yoused one my self, it all come about when my dog ignored the stop whistle and disappeared through a hedge and onto a busy main road, all i could Se was me berrying another dog.

went out the next day and bought one. it took me another month before i used it, trying to work out if i am doing right.

eventually got round to using it, it took 2 times, now when i blow the stop whistle she calls of all the time with no ill effects, still the same dog before the collar.

condemn me if you want, still got me dog, we are still roaming.

ps collar for sale

pps cant spell cant climb mountains ether