Freelander Fob

steve_b_wales

My partners father got a quote like this as his batteries had died and land rover told him he needed new fobs and reprogramming to his vehicle. After messing about for an hour he got them apart and got the batteries from timpsons, total cost............... £12.

Hope this helps

Russ

My partners father got a quote like this as his batteries had died and land rover told him he needed new fobs and reprogramming to his vehicle. After messing about for an hour he got them apart and got the batteries from timpsons, total cost............... £12.

Hope this helps

Russ

I too bought a battery (£7.00) as recommended on the Freel2 forum. I could not un solder the battery in the fob. There are companies advertising (Ebay, Amazon) that offer to replace the battery/fob for £45.00 - £99.00 but are they any good or trustworthy, that's the question.

Had anyone on here ever soldered a new battery or used one of these companies?

I too bought a battery (£7.00) as recommended on the Freel2 forum. I could not un solder the battery in the fob. There are companies advertising (Ebay, Amazon) that offer to replace the battery/fob for £45.00 - £99.00 but are they any good or trustworthy, that's the question.

Had anyone on here ever soldered a new battery or used one of these companies?

I think timpsons did his for him, they're at tescos sainsburys etc... . Might be worth your while to try them.

I think timpsons did his for him, they're at tescos sainsburys etc... . Might be worth your while to try them.

Thanks. But I believe that Timpsons only replace a battery, ie one out one in. My battery is soldered to a circuit board.

I will check them out though.

Thanks. :good:

Update: I have just emailed Timpsons customer service department.

Hi Steve

Have the same problem with my Mitsubushi Outlander, here's my Topic tread > http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/302120-replacement-car-key/

Timpsons do offer remote reprogrammed keys. But its only limited to certain shops I believe .

Ive spoken with my local Timpsons in Leicester ( Sainsbury's site ) and he quoted me aprox. £140-£150 for my Outlander .

My only reservations so far are that I don't want some semi skilled chap/lass plugging into my Outlanders ECU to reprogram the new Key to works Door Locks / Alarm / Immobiser, then accidentally stuffing up anything else if that makes sense.

I'm in the process of ringing round myself.

Edited by RedRobin

I am assuming that when you got the car it only had one key with it this is something that really annoys me every car/truck when new comes with two keys plus an alloy tab with the number of the key on why oh why do garages not make shore that they get both of the keys back when they take a car back as a PX.

if for no other reason than to prevent someone getting there hands on it and steeling the car or is that part of the plan as it is near imposable to steel most modern cars without the key.

As I have said before I had to get one cut for my vitara as I did not have the number of the key I got one done for £25 but although it did work it was not that good as the key that I had was badly worn and the new one was a clone of that.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I am assuming that when you got the car it only had one key with it this is something that really annoys me every car/truck when new comes with two keys plus an alloy tab with the number of the key on why oh why do garages not make shore that they get both of the keys back when they take a car back as a PX.

if for no other reason than to prevent someone getting there hands on it and steeling the car or is that part of the plan as it is near imposable to steel most modern cars without the key.

As I have said before I had to get one cut for my vitara as I did not have the number of the key I got one done for £25 but although it did work it was not that good as the key that I had was badly worn and the new one was a clone of that.

No. When I bought it new, I had two programmed fobs. As suggested by LR, I swopped the fobs over every three months to keep the batteries charged. But, I left one fob in the cupboard for 8 months or more, and the battery is dead. I can use the fob to start the car, but not open/lock doors.

It looks like I will have to pay for a new fob. The vehicle is almost 7 years old, and, apart from a few things going wrong under warranty, I have only spent on brakes,tyres and wiper blades. But I really begrudge handing over £250 for such a small job.

Just had a price for a new fob, re programmed for my vehicle, -approx £250. Daylight robbery!

My Freelander2 is in for a replacement DPF, I nearly fell over when told the part cost £1484.00 plus VAT, fortunately its warranty.

Edited by Dekers

UPDATE:

I have arranged to have a new programmed fob from the company that Mike737 gave the link too. They are not 'a fraction of the price' of main dealers, as they quote,but are still cheaper, and I don't like my LR dealers anyway. I have also sent the other fob to a company called remotefobcentre.com They will replace the battery, fix any damage (if any) on the circuit board, and fit a new fob casing. This will cost £44.99.

Hopefully, replacing the fob/s will eliminate the problem. If it still exists, then I will have to get the vehicle, either to LR or a local garage, if they have the means to investigate it. The problem today with newer cars, is that the dealers plug them into their computers which usually finds the fault. Whether smaller garages have the means to do this, remains to be seen.

UPDATE:

I have just had a new fob delivered from 'remotefobcentre.com and it works perfect. :) It cost me £44.99 with a 3 day turn around. I have now cancelled the fob on order with county locksmiths (South Wales) who were going to charge me £220.

I highly recommend the company, and will be sending my other fob to get that one replaced.

The trouble about this sort of job is the kit needed to program the fob/car is really expensive weather it be pc based or bespoke machine they are also constantly in need of updates this expense has obviously got to be passed on

I'm not defending people being ripped off it just might be the garage who are the ones being stiffed

They cheap blokes off ebay can use knock off software this is why they are cheaper