mentoring dilema

DiddyDave

I don't understand this, the chief constable insists someone is competant before being allowed to fire live rounds at deer, he will grant .22 or .17 without conditions, should he not be insisting competency for shooting fox, rabbit or other vermin? I'd like to know if he's granting AOLQ on 22 centre fire tickets? Nothing stopping the holder of such a ticket going after munties, CWD, or even a trip to Scotland on the roe.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I am just telling you how it is!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I am just telling you how it is!

sorry chum, wasn't having a dig at you, just the system of it all! The inconsistencies of different licensing departments and stuff they make up as they go seems to me like its done simply to make things as awkward as possible without any real justification for their reasoning. Rant over, feel better now:)

Have you shot centerfire rifles before or are you a complete beginner? If you have shot them in the past get whoever you been with shooting a centerfire with to do you a reference type letter and give that to your Police force. If you are a complete beginner try to find someone with a centerfire you can have a few goes with and then get them to do you a letter explains you have been with them etc. all the best.

I am a complete rookie when it comes to centerfire. And this is the problem i have, I just don't know anyone who has a centerfire. I've got plenty of land to shoot on and plenty of foxes to shoot at but no centerfire. Lol. It's ok I've got a bit of time so I can be patient.

I am a complete rookie when it comes to centerfire. And this is the problem i have, I just don't know anyone who has a centerfire. I've got plenty of land to shoot on and plenty of foxes to shoot at but no centerfire. Lol. It's ok I've got a bit of time so I can be patient.

Whereabouts are you? There may be someone on here willing and able to help.

I'm in Banbury Oxfordshire. If someone offered I'd be over the moon at that I really would, good help is hard to come by these days..... Unless your in the shooting community have you noticed? And look at the publicity we get.

Any decent person on here will help you out, I know I have and would again help out anyone in my area.

You've already been mentored for rimfire. The rules are the same for all firearms. Backstops, adjacent dwellings, footpaths etc are just as relevant for a .22lr as they are for a .308. I'd call and ask to speak to the office manager, and ask him why they're being so difficult as you've already been shown as competent by a mentor once already?!

I'd sort you out if you were closer. You don't have to take a bloke shooting to know whether he's safe or not - a half hour chat in the pub would clear that up with a few questions!

Join a rifle club, do the safety course, a few months later then put in for it again.

I think it's just the fact he wants me to gain a little experience with the larger caliber before applying. I'm not going for a deer round so I'm not going to do a dsc1 because it's not worth it. It's more a letter of competency than actually mentoring hes after. I'll find a way.

Let me get this right in my dumb head. You think to satisfy the FEO you just need a piece of paper? I cannot think of any sensible mentor that would provide you with a letter, without making sure you are safe....by mentoring you! I was told, prior to mentoring, that if my charge did something crazy after me saying they were ok, that I would be getting a visit!

Good luck if you can find a mug. The advice to join a club was good.

My feo told me to find someone who has a CF who would be willing to take the time to take me out however many times would be necessary until they were satisfied that I was responsible, safe, competent etc. Then they can sign a letter stating just that and that would be sufficient for him. This is the exact process I went through to get my FAC in the first place with the very same FEO. So it's not just asking someone to knock up a quick note is it. In his words " this way you won't have to have a mentoring condition on your license Dave"

I don't see the point in paying out for a club membership now. Not when all I need is a mentor letter from someone. Thanks though for the advice

My comment was based upon yours above. To me, the larger calibre IS different. My son shoots .22rf, but I would not expect him to shoot cf without support and mentoring. I am sure many members will say '.22 is same as .308 in relation to safety' but I disagree. It is like saying if you can drive a car, you should be allowed to drive a lorry. There are different things to learn.

I would go the same route as before. Get someone to guide you through the new calibre. The good thing about a gun club is it is easy to find guns!! As you say, local mentors can prove tricky to find.

That's what I am doing, my point was that paying for a club membership would be a wasted expense and time for that matter because the club's near me insist on a 6 month membership that I have to use week in week out. Not only that, my feo told me that doing that would ony clear me for ranges not out in the field where I want to be

That's what I am doing, my point was that paying for a club membership would be a wasted expense and time for that matter because the club's near me insist on a 6 month membership that I have to use week in week out. Not only that, my feo told me that doing that would ony clear me for ranges not out in the field where I want to be

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't a range only clear you for single shot rifles also and not magazine rifles....That's what I was told anyway when I went to join one last year to get my FAC...and like Dave said, the range wanted me to go for at least 6 months before even offering me a membership.....

i'm in the proccess of getting a vriation for .223, and im jumping straight up from FAC air. i was told by my local FLO that if i can get a reference from a chap who i have recently been shooting full bore rifles with on his land, then i wont need a mentoring condition and they will happily grant me what i ask for.

i did question with her about the legalities of using a full bore rifle that im not certificated for and was told that if the rifle is being used on HIS OWN LAND, the it can be classed as an estate rifle and there is no wrong doing on anyones behalf.

i have been using .223, .243, .300 winmag and .308 with carl, its good fun!

edit: forgot to add, i currently have both section 1 shotgun and FAC air on open conditions.

Edited by brett1985